Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kids positive (antigen) living with vulnerable grandparent - advise please

• 23-11-2021 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

situation is that both our kids had positive antigen tests today, but me, my wife (both double vacinated) and my mam (double vacinated and booster) were negative. Im just wondering what we as a family sound be doing from a restictive movement perspective over the next 10 days?

Should me or my wife or my mam get PCR test? Should we be restricting our movements? My mam, who is trible vacinated has COPD and lives with us. Apologies about all the questions but the advice is a little overwhelming and confusing regarding close contact and household contact etc etc...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Ring your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Abbaesque

Hi, do you all live together? I think you will all need PCR tests as close contacts.. I would definitely keep everyone away from your Mum- she is extremely vulnerable if she gets it.. if she lives with you- maybe it is easier to isolate her in a room, rather than isolating yourselves and the kids.. or else is there anyone she can go to and stay with for 10 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,774 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You might struggle to have people allow a person to move in with them coming from a covid positive household... I wouldn’t entertain the idea quite frankly...

just some tough parenting and discipline on behalf of everybody that kids stay away from granny until they are better....

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

The first thing you need to do is get the kids a pcr test. Then you will be officially contact traced and get advised on testing. You should all be restricting your movements immediately as you are close contacts. Agree with the above poster that your Mum is at the highest risk, isolate her as much as possible from the kids.

Hope your kids are doing OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Thanks for the feedback. Kids are in their room and using the main bathroom. Myself and my wife are keeping our distance the best we can from Mam. She has had double vaccine and booster so hopefully this will pass without having an impact on her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Any chance you could get an airbnb for your mam for a few weeks, or until this blows over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

At the moment it's only the kids that need a PCR test and even then should only be if the have symptoms according to official advice.

It's pretty impossible to get them at moment so you have better chance looking for 2 not 5.

Then if kids test positively that's a different matter but to be honest until recently government advice was if you were vaccinated + someone in your household tested positive they didn't need to restrict their movements or get a test once they had no symptoms!

Total madness, no wonder the numbers skyrocketed.

The antigen test is only a guide so try no stress too much yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Generally test appointments are uploaded about midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I know it's cold but try and crack open a few windows, even a little bit to get some air flow going. If your cooker has an extractor fan, leave it running with a kitchen window open even a tiny bit. Whatever you can do to keep the air as fresh as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Less than 1/1000 chance of an antigen test being a false +ve, and given that 2 kids have tested positive, that reduces the chances to negligible. OP, your kids have covid, the PCR is just an administrative confirmation. Re your mum, as she is vulnerable, I think your best bet is to try to shield her - keep the kids away. Presumably either the kids or your mum or both need care. You are both negative on antigen so likely not infectious so you can rest assured that up to now your mum's only risk has been contact with the kids. If she needs care giving, try to keep your distance, but regular antigen tests before being in contact with her if you really need to be can give some reassurance. It's a really difficult situation in practice, good luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mask up the kids.

Advertisement