Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭maw

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Quick question... The "rule of thumb" mentioned above, i.e. (€1k per 1Kwp) + (€1k per 2.5Kwhr battery), is that including or excluding VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Including VAT - basically it's the price that that the average Joe Soap would be "out of pocket" doing an installation at home, grant money included.

Again, I'll stress it's just a good target to aim for. Many (most?) suppliers won't be able to match it. Some will beat it, but if they are within a few % points, that's ok - your not being ripped off. it's not a binary thing. The purpose of the formula is to give end users some appreciation of roughly what to pay. People come here (myself included) and while I'd be "tech savvy" it's hard to know what is a "good" price, until you spend time and effort understanding the domain. It's not my formula either, but one that I like.

If it stops some people from being gouged for €3,000-4,000, that's a "win" and the main thing it's trying to achieve - at least in my humble opinion. I think if I'd overpaid by €3-4K I'd be pretty cheesed off. If I overpaid by €500-600....not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Niceday20

If we are starting a new 2022 thread, can I suggest this is the first post so it is visible to anyone looking for guidance on prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Installation due next Monday, panels, battery and Eddy. What are the things to look out for, make sure that they are done in certain manner etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Leave them alone and don't get in their way. Plenty of tea/coffee and the good biscuits.

Its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can somebody PM their details?

Do they install further afield/nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭rx8

Question, why cant people just say where they are located and not just nation wide?

Some Nation wide companies might be a little more expensive than a local contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not necessarily @rx8

I spoke to the boss man last week re another issue (some electrical work) and he said that they may have to limit themselves to the north of the country, Dublin and above as they're so busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Savememoney mentioned in the thread a few times is now called Veep energy

😎

Same thing happened to my preferred installation company. They are out the door with jobs.

I think its even more important now to check company references from previous customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I have just received a quote for almost the exact Solartricity kit linked below (7x360kW + 2.4kWhr Battery), priced by Solartricity at €4,463

(Price tweaked to include the 3.6kWhr battery).

Quote I received was for €7,835 / Grant would be €2,550 / Net cost after grant would be €5,285

Now, going by the rule of thumb shared elsewhere on this thread, I should expect to pay around €4,000 net

I've gotten worse quotes than this; in fact, this was the best of four quotes I've received.

But I kind of think the margin here is a little high, i.e. around 30% higher than expected.

Can anyone please DM contact details for any reliable installers in the Dublin area?

I think I need to get more quotes!

https://solartricity.ie/grant-kit-34-panel-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Anyone have any experience of this.. products/component/huawei-backup-box-1-phase/ .My understanding it's being sold as a switch over method during power outages ""supplies backup power to homes during a grid failure. This allows homeowners to seamlessly operate off-grid .Would be ideal for what I am looking for if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

Most hybrid inverters have a backup power supply built in via either a standalone socket(s), a sub consumer board with a small number of circuits on it or a manual change over switch providing power to whole house (but obvious caviat here is what power your battery/solar can provide). I'm not sure what the huawei (and sonnen do it too) backup box does extra that is not achieved with the hybrid inverter and manual changeover switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gumbyman2000

Hey! Long time lurker on this thread, finally close to taking the plunge. I have a few quotes, the best one is a quote for 22 panels, 8kw (12 on East face, 10 on South), iBoost diverter, 8kw solis inverter, zappi. 8600 incl VAT, net of grants. I might need additional optimisers on the East face as there is a pesky dividing ridge in the centre of the roof, this is TBD. 

Does that sound reasonable? I’m in the Limerick area. 

Would also love to get a 2nd opinion on my overall plan for it. Main bit of uncertainty - I am not getting a battery but will get an EV so between that and the hot water diverter I plan to mop up most of what I produce. Was toying with getting a battery too, mainly for the Summer to contribute to some of the night usage but if I switch to a Night Saver meter this makes the payback questionable. The system quoted above leaves the option open to add a battery down the road if it looks like a better option. 

Thanks all (and thanks for all the info everyone has added to this thread, so useful!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That's a good quote that.

It's always a harder one to call when you have an EV in the mix (in a good way). If your EV is present for most of the day when the sun is shining and your producing, your right, the need for a battery is mostly diminished. Course with 8Kwp (which is a nice big system), you have to be actually driving a lot to be able to absorb that generation. What it is.... 5Km/1Kwhr or there abouts? So if you put 30kWhr into it on a day, that's 150Km you have to drive to lower it down for the next day.

Obviously I don't know your usage, but to give you a question to ask yourself......would it not be the case that if Monday is sun shining and all the generation goes into your car battery, would it not be full when Tuesday comes along? Where does your surplus go?

A hard one to call without knowing more details, but I'd probably drop back to 7Kwp and then get a 5Kwhr battery. However if you can afford both.....rock on! I know......I'd be going against the grain there with reducing panels, but having a mid sized battery gives you a lot of flexibility. I'd even prioritise it over a EDDI - as you can in effect do the function of a EDDI with a battery. Just manually turn on the immersion with the energy you stored in the battery - but naturally you can't power your tv/kettle from the energy which is in the hot water tank. So the battery gives you some options. 5Kwhr is good for most people, but if you have the consumption.... payback is slightly quicker on larger ones. Expect ~10 years. Less if you go DIY on the battery.

Good strategy that most people do with night rates, is charge the battery in the winter on night rate when you have abysmal PV generation, and then use that during the day to help pay for itself. Having a battery helps smooth over breaks in sunshine too during the day. e.g. sun has been shining all morning and at 11am, you turn on the washing machine for 2 hrs, and then 11:30 the clouds roll in!

Post edited by bullit_dodger on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are any providers still putting people on D/N rates?

If you have a smart meter installed, Theres no option to switch back to a Day/Night meter right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Consensus here points to no going back after Smart Meter install unfortunately

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Then they shall take mine away over my cold dead body!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gumbyman2000

Have copied this all to my MASSIVE 'solar' file ;-) Thanks a million - great points there, more food for thought but good to know I'm not doing anything nutso. Will look into the 5k battery. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rainydayhere

Can someone give me details of a good solar installer in the Limerick North Tipp area.

I got 2 quotes already

10 panels giving 3.95kWp with 2.4w battery & hot water inverter €11,252 less €2952 grant = €8,300

12 3.16 panels giving 4.38 kWp with 2.4w battery & hot water inverter €11,800 less €3000 grant = €8,800

After reading I should be paying €1k per KW + €1k for battery am I being over priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭rx8

Both of those quotes are about 2k too high IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭mrm

Below are the quotes that I have received (thanks to all those on here who provided me with recommendations and guidance via PM - this is a super helpful thread)

Quote no. 1:

Array 6kW

6kW Hybrid Inverter

5 kWh battery

Water Diverter

BER included

Sub-total €14,450

Grant €3,000

After Grant €11,450

-----------------------------------------

Quote no. 2:

14x 390w Jinko Panel (5.46kW)

6KW Huawei Hybrid Inverter

5KW Huawei Battery

3.68kW Eddi

No BER

Sub-total €14,600

Grant €3,000

After Grant €11,600

--------------------------------------------

Quote no. 3:

10x 365w Panel (3.65kW)

5kW Solis Inverter

4.8kW battery

Eddi I boost diverter

BER included

Sub-total €13,380

Grant €2,880

After Grant €10,500

-----------------------------------------------

Quote no. 4:

14 x 370W JA Solar PV Panels (5.18kW)

1x 5kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter

1 x 5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage

1 x EDDI Power Diverter

BER Assessment

Full Installation & Commissioning with Online Monitoring

Sub-total €12,326

Grant €3,000

After grant €9,326

-----------------------------------------------

Quote no. 5:

16x 345w Solar Tier1 Panel (5.44kW)

6KW Hybrid Solis Inverter

4.8KW Plyon tec. Battery

Eddi water diverter

Wifi Dongle

No BER

Sub-total €11,500

Grant €3,000

After Grant €8,500

--------------------------------------------------

Quote no. 6:

As per quote no.5 but with 5kW Inverter

After grant €8,200

---------------------------------------------------

Quote no. 7:

16 no. 390w panels array (6.24kW)

5.0kw Hybrid inverter.

5.0 kw battery

Myenergi Eddi water heating diverter

Harvi wireless monitor

No BER

Sub-total €11,200

Grant €3,000

After Grant €8,200

---------------------------------------------------

Quote No. 8

Call to your house to conduct a site assessment in order to determine what would be the best system which suits for your home and taking the required measurements to price for these works.

Total €150

System proposal and quote to follow assessment

------------------------------------------------

Quote 8 is way out I guess and some of the higher quotes are from those who conducted a remote online consultancy before providing me with their quote.

Quotes 6 & 7 are the best ones. What is the opinion on these quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭championc

Excellent quote.

Will ESB really allow an 8kW inverter ? You may need to get a 6kW but not the worst as you might just have a small bit of clipping in high summer.

Good strategy about the battery. You could simply add a separate Storage Inverter (Sofar ME3000) with batteries (even DIY pack) at a later date.

I would be inclined to go for quote 7. You would need a minimum of a 6kw Inverter Imo. Ask for a 6kw,

Did you get an Active quote, if so please post it just to show the massive price difference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A 5kW inverter is fine if it is in E/W config. 6kW if all facing single aspect.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement