Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

So I have been doing some calculations based from Heat pump and power consumption in our house and it was eye opening

we use approx 8700 KWh per year (averaged over two years meter readings)

our heat pump accounts for 32% of our Electricity consumption (we have a meter on the HP)

of that (approx 2700 KWh) 86% is used between October and May (least amount of sunshine

I dont have as good a record of the meter readings to get a break down of how the rest of the power is consumed but in 2015 75% of the power was consumed between September and may (this was prior to work from home and kids starting school etc,)

I read somewhere that PV panels produce 75% of their output between May and October....I am open to correction on this as cant find it again.

based on this I have come to the following conclusions

1: our usage profile and the PV panel generation profile are 100% out of whack......

2: Payback calculations have to be calculated reflecting the usage above rather than averaging the output throughout the year (which will give a much different result)

3: For our situation, a FIT is much more important really than a battery......to build up credit during the summer to be used up during the winter

Ye probably have done this previously for your own situations, but i think it is important for everyone to understand their usage profile

Post edited by cuculainn on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Me too please xD. Trying to gather some quotes atm with one crowd coming in tomorrow. Thx a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Go for as many panels you can fit/afford.

You will never regret getting to many panels but you will regret getting too few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

jasus, the Enniskillen team must be turning away work at this stage! 🤣😆😂

if they sub-contract any work, I really hope they keep very close eye on quality, or their good reputation will take an undeserved hit.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I found the Enniskillen lads a bit pricey tbh.

Saying that, they were better than the majority of others I got quotes from.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When John was out with me the first time he told me that they do all their own work…

the lads came in a van with the companies name on it,.. they told me they’d enough work to keep them flat out until Christmas!!

they are getting absolutely tons of work these days, and a lot of it through Boards…

If thats the case fantastic for them. But I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Wouldn't doubt it for a minute. 30 working days, so 15 jobs - 20 jobs. Not hard given the level of interest on here I would have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A friend of mine locally just signed them up for his solar install. Was told it'll likely be January as they're so busy.

When they did mine it was a team of 3 fellas that came with Ken on day 1.

Then Ken came on day 2 by himself and did the install and connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mikem1325

Hi Morgan a, could you please send me on their details. Thanks in advance.

As long as they keep delivering the quality, service and value is all that matters.

Those lads have a lot of fans and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Expecting them to install ours next week, about a 10 week wait. Speaking to them last week they had 8-9 jobs in Galway to complete, so no shortage of work alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great to see the populous taking matters into their own hands with home PV installs, crime to be burning "stuff"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fandango1976

So, I settled on what I want and got a bunch of quotes from various suppliers as follows (some variation in battery specs, but nothing that would cause a significant change in opinion):

#1: 16x 320w Panel (5.12kW)

Hybrid Inverter

2.4 kWh battery

6 Optimisers

BER included

WIfi Monitoring

Sub-total €12,898

Grant €3,000

After Grant €9,898

-----------------------------------------

#2: 16x 340w Panel (5.44kW)

6KW Hybrid Solis Inverter

4.8KW Plyontech Battery

Wifi Dongle

No BER

Sub-total €9,900

Grant €3,000

After Grant €6,900

--------------------------------------------

#3: 16x 365w Panel (5.84kW)

Inverter

4.8kW battery

BER included

Sub-total €15,440

Grant €3,000

After Grant €12,440

-----------------------------------------------

#4: 16x 330w panels (5.28kW)

6kW hybrid inverter

4.8kW battery

BER included

Sub-total €11,800

Grant €3,000

After grant €8,800

-----------------------------------------------

#5: 15x 375w panels (5.64kW)

5kW inverter

5.7kW battery

No BER

Sub-total €10,500

Grant €3,000

After grant €7,500

--------------------------------------------------

#6: 15x 375w panels (5.64kW)

5kW inverter

10.1kW battery

No BER

Sub-total €11,900

Grant €3,000

After grant €8,900

---------------------------------------------------

#7: 16x 370w (5.92kW)

5kW GivEnergy inverter

5.2kW GivEnergy battery

BER included

Sub-total €12,331

Grant €3,000

After Grant €9,331

Quite a range of prices there, but #2 is out in front even when I add in extra for optimisers and the cost of a BER.

Option 2 for the price or option 6 for the battery size (at that price)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Just finished mine in Galway last week...the lads we're saying loads of work ahead of them

Some are scandalous. Number 2 is best, but number 6 is intriguing. What type of battery is that? Can you PM me the name of installer 6?

• Advertisement

Not sure that I need a battery that big, so will probably be option 2.

Your installer never got back to me. Would they be anywhere near the price for option 2?

I don't think so on this occasion. On battery size if you dont you will kick yourself later but right now its option 2.

If you can get option 6 up to a 6kw inverter at the same price I would seriously consider it.

For the record I started with a 7kw and now Im up to 10.5kw. Its a power thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Could be a BYD battery

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

If it is i can highly recommend it. Very easy to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Yes early days yet but happy so far! They had suggested using the solis home app but the solis cloud app is way better so you can see clearly what's coming and going to grid , battery aswell as what the panels are producing and what the house is looking for. Making great use of night time rate to charge up my batteries and use during the day so even with patchy sun (only getting 3-4 kw on a day like today ) I'm still only using couple of kws on daytime electric rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Has anyone had an installation by saas recently? I’ve actually only heard of 1 person on this forum getting an install by them who seems to speak very highly of them, I know others struggled to get a response from them back in September when I mentioned it but I wonder are they actually even doing installs for others? They are an absolute shambles to communicate with.

I filled in all the paperwork, DD mandate, saei grant application(which was instantly approved), etc. on the 8th Aug and gave them the go ahead to install ASAP, they arranged a pre-BER which was done on the 2nd of September.

Now, after weekly emails finally on the 6th Oct, I received a brief email along the lines of “I’m good to go for installation and reach the requirements for the PV Solar grant”. Now I’ve heard really nothing since that, I’ve contacted them multiple times and did receive a 1 line email on 21st October that installation would be in the next few weeks but I’ve no faith in hearing back from them at this stage, I’m wondering if this is their main business or a second business they have. I also see they put their prices up on the website but as I signed my contract in August assume they’ll have to honour the price if they ever actually carry out the work

Post edited by CathalDublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

They should honour their agreed price from August.They are up to their eyes at the moment, I spoke to owner three weeks back and he said they had a large volume of work on the books at the moment.I was looking at a six month wait for job I wanted done.I have decided to self install/sub contract my job in feb/mar.You should try to contact owner directly to get install date.

• Advertisement

Price around. You might get a good deal elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement