Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How long has this turd been released now, 4 or 5 months?

Its still only barely better than the day one release..whats going on. Its a total **** of a site..do **** something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,496 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think Vanilla is primarily aimed at companies who want a (basic) forum for customer questions etc. rather than companies which are forum-only sites.

Did Boards even look at other platforms such as Xenforo or Discourse?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This attitude really annoys me - what do you expect to get from it? Maybe a PM attaboy from a Mod or something? Or is it just to rile people up?

The site is a shadow of its former self and 4/5 months later shows no real sign of getting back to even that previous level of functionality. Communication and feedback is almost non-existent (with the exception of Niamh who's been left to put out what updates she can - and I get the feeling she's often not looped in either on things behind the scenes) and Odhran seems to have vanished. Now admittedly poor engagement with the users has been a long-standing issue with this site, but it's especially obvious (and painful!) since this migration.

Recognising these things, asking for information and a direction, or expressing deep unhappiness and regret over how things have turned out is not trolling or moaning - many users have put hundreds of hours and several years into contributing to this site - sharing their insight, knowledge, help, modding efforts, and just random banter... all of which Boards.ie the company has been using as a selling point to commercial customers and advertisers (and presumably continues to do so). It's not too much to ask that those same users be given clear statements as to intent and the future of the site.

It's attitudes like yours that are a bigger problem. Apparently content to just take what you're given and put up with it. There's a lot of people like that in this country though. It explains why things are still broken in that sense too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thats exactly how it is, only had to look at some of the sites using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im not sure why you reference attitude when I am stating facts. You cant deny that the new site has attracted trolls and in many of the feedback threads I see the moaning and complaining from the same people yet most of them dont have anything positive to offer.

However I agree with most of what you say as I have made my feelings known both here and in private. Vanilla is a disaster as far as I'm concerned and while some improvements have been carried out there is still a serious amount of sh1t to be sorted out. Im one of the few mods speaking out publicly on this matter but (and probably against my better judgement) Im sticking it out for the time being. But if things dont improve in the near future then I'll be gone from here.

You could in theory layer a modding tools suite on top of Vanilla with a separate database.

If improved modding tools just aren't going to arrive, then it should be considered, even if way way less than ideal and hacky because vanilla could make changes and temporarily break it.

Vanilla's reporting system would be done away with and everything put on the new one. Every user would load a file that checks user and post IDs and shows if a post has been sanctioned etc. You could a bunch of functionality this way.

Anyways, that is absolutely not going to happen.

A more realistic option would be some JS to help the mods, like say organising the reported posts. All the mods talk about how it isn't easy to find what's relevant to them.

That is absolutely not going to happen either. Nothing is going to happen.

Fact is the site feels like an old half-baked or glitchy mess of a game. And these old games only get played in 2021 with mods made by the community. If you want to play Morrrowind today, you use the mods, because it's stuff made by the community that is actually of high quality because they care about it while the company doesn't anymore.

I suspect Vanilla has fulfilled their part of the deal and doesn't see why it should have to integrate a complex system of moderation into a finished product. They likely don't even want to do it for money because it isn't what other customers require and it adds a lot of room for problems. I've had to say no to requests from a business using my software because it was simply too specific and not relevant to other schools, and it was never talked about before signing a deal. My rule on custom development is that I'll do it for free if I think it will be useful for everyone, otherwise I don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's a very clear outline of the kind way things could be implemented. I wonder if the powers that be have put similar thought and effort into how things could be fixed.

Of the things that you identify that could be fixed, I suspect the categorisation of reported posts is most likely, assuming that the thread they are located on is also identified in some way.

Have we any idea of the features current being worked on? I get the feeling that users and moderators are being strung along here, and that there will be no significant features added to the current site.

So any update on how to selectively quote a post please.. Have been searching this thread last half hour, and am still no closer in understanding how it's done.. I've seen plenty of quoted posts with just parts of them selected, so it must be possible.. Thanks

Copy the part of the post you want to respond to, click Quote, then paste into the Comment box, highlight it there and format to a quote.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Thanks, but how do I copy the part of the post? I've tried clicking and dragging on part of your post, and then clicked quote, but can't find a paste option when I right click - paste is not in bold, so that option is not available.. maybe there's another way of copying and pasting that I am unaware of 😕

I've seen plenty of quoted posts with just parts of them selected, so it must be possible

You mean like that?

First copy the text you want to quote so its saved to your clipboard

Whether on desktop or mobile, click this icon

Select "Quote"

You'll see a small indentation like this

Paste your quoted text. Thats it

Its a bit buggy, especially if you are quoting multiple lines, or text from another site that might have hidden characters, so often I paste the text first, then highlight it, then select the quote option. Either way works

there's another way of copying and pasting that I am unaware of 😕

I just did it there.

You have to highlight the text you want, then copy it to the clipboard. When replying, just paste into the comment box, highlight it there and format to a quote.

Not your ornery onager

highlight the text you want,

Thanks.. didn't have a clue, but I managed to figure it out with yours and @[Deleted User] 's help 😊 Had to go to top right hand corner of screen (on laptop) -after highlighting - into the window's options box after selecting above text, and clicked on copy.. Was grand after that.. Must have spent an hour earlier, and all I seemed to manage was getting that blue/grey vertical bar.. Still don't know what a clipboard is - am assuming it's that "edit box" , or whatever it's called.. Worked anyway,,,

Cheers lads ! 😊

The clipboard is an integral part of Copy/Paste. It is where you copy to, and where you paste from.

Not your ornery onager

Clipboard is where text is saved when you copy it

You can highlight text and copy it by right-clicking and clicking copy or using CTRL+C and paste using the right-click menu or CTRL+V

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Is it possible to stop recieving notifications about a thread you posted in? I unticked the bookmark of said thread in my profile, but no joy :| Getting 100's of the same notifications

Did a search about it but zero results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've tried clicking and dragging on part of your post

select the text you want to use a partial quote in the original post.

right-click and select copy.

Hit the Quote button

right-click and select Paste (or hit ctrl-V)

click the icon in the left hand margin. select the quote marks as highlighted

select the Quote function as highlighted. It will now appear as below. This is all for the windows version of the site.

It will now appear as below.

Thanks, I think I know how it's done now !

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guys the issue with PM notifications showing the error below has now been resolved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That error/issue just involved one extra click to access your PMs.

Nice that it's resolved, but any news on the hyper-sensitive drop-down menus at the top of the desktop page, which are a major PITA?

Or the fact that you can't format text in a post on mobile (or couldn't up until a day or two ago, haven't checked it today, but I'm assuming it hasn't been fixed)?

I'm honestly trying always to be constructive and stay positive - but there's a serious feeling of moving deckchairs on the Titanic about all of this. I can't remember the last fix that actually improved the user experience for me on Boards. (YMMV)

@HeidiHeidi I get what you are saying but the tech team in Vanilla resolved the PMs issue which was a problem for a number of users if not for you.

Our own team will be looking at the menu issue, it's not always the same team looking at all bugs. I ask about all issues but they get fixed according to what resources are available to fix them and how easily fixable they are versus time available to do so. Will be having a meeting later and will mention the menu issue again. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How do I get to use emojis on mobile

Had to go to top right hand corner of screen (on laptop) -after highlighting - into the window's options box after selecting above text, and clicked on copy.. Was grand after that.

Found an easier way of doing it.. Probably obvious to most, but it weren't to me..😁 1: Highlight text 2: Right click straight away (from inside the comment box that I'm highlighting from) , and click 'copy' ... in previous attempts I highlighted the text; and then went back to my comment box, and tried right-clicking, but the option to copy wasn't there 3: Follow the rest of the steps 😊

^^

and I still don't know what a 'clipboard' (in computer terms 😊) is 😊.. not that important anyway.. probably basic to most users, but, whatever it is, I've managed to use Boards the last 2 years without knowing what it is!

I think that was a problem for all users but in terms of priorities it would have a very low priority problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I think this one was the culprit - 'Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.'

So even if you unbookmark, you get notifications by default. I'm sure it's been discussed many times but couldn't find anything

I've posted so little that I'm only noticing this now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Has Odhran disappeared?

• Advertisement

No, not at all, I was speaking to him today and he will be posting an update soon.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

I know it has been quite a while since I posted - I have started a thread in feedback here which gives bit of the how we got here and what's next.

We are also pushing more updates over the coming days / weeks:

• Fixing Top navigation layout to allow access to all forums
    • Trending tab sorting order
    • Thanks tab on on desktop 
    • Showing users who thanked posts on mobile and desktop
    • Fixing ad on homepage (right hand side unit)
    • Followed forums to be developed (this will take a little longer ... but to be expected in coming weeks)

Site speed and search is also being worked on by Vanilla: 'We have just improved the search speeds in the sprint we just finished yesterday (releasing Tuesday to Staging). We are also making a change to how comments are weighted in a post thread to help with the number of results that appear and to target results more efficiently'

Thanks

Odhran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Anything on the advanced functionality for moderators in the works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hi, what is the easiest way to find your previous posts? Not threads, but actual posts.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

On mobile, click on the burger menu (three horizontal lines) on the top left hand side and go to My Comments.

On desktop, click on your profile pic on the top right hand side and click on your username/profile pic. This will take you to your profile page. Then click on this image to open a menu and select 'Comments' at the bottom of it:

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

My single most clicked button, the "My Threads" tab, has been concealed by the blue banner for about six weeks now....see below.

I presume that's on the list of things to be fixed? In the meantime is it possible to access subscribed threads without hunting for the tiny sliver of the tab that's clickable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

What the other guy said, also you can access them by clicking your avatar and then clicking Bookmarks

I made a suggestion that they add an icon to the top bar like messages and notifications, that would take you directly to bookmarks and save a few mouse clicks, it seemed to be received well. @Boards.ie: Niamh do you know if this is in the works or if its not happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wanted to look something up so came back here today.

Months later and almost all the major issues are still present. You cannot see the time for posts that aren't posted today, and you can't see the date for anything posted before 2021! This is a forum, why is this issue still here???

No most thanked posts, still extremely difficult to navigate, stupid pop ups which just interrupt the page (why can't I just see my followed forums on a webpage?).

Also the emails are just a nightmare, at least you used to be able to see the thread in the email heading, now it just tells you the user, which is totally useless.

Honestly lads, you've taken one of the most enjoyable Irish websites created, sh*t all over it in the promise of making it better, and then not even attempt to fix major issues which plague the site months after the changeover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

after reading a thread (discussion) when you go back into the menu it still shows new posts even though there are none.

sometimes when it shows new posts it take you to first post in the thread.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, that seems to happen particularly (maybe exclusively?) with older threads/discussions that started before the changeover. It's really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There are a lot of forums with ancient posts stickied. Even charters. Be honest, does anyone read them? You could remove the sticky for charters if you had a pop up on the first post a user made in a forum that listed the charter and had them tick agree.

For example there are 6 stickies in After Hours. Far too many cluttering the place up. Boards themes shouldn't be stickied. One of the threads stickied has been there since 2013.

Something about breakfasts with no new post in 2 months.

A remembrance thread for a boardsie with no posts in 2 weeks.

Some competition thing from August.

Yeah, the boards theme one in AH was for pre-Vanilla. Doesn't even work anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

If you click the little settings wheel on the stickied thread and select dismiss it removes it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭archfi

If you are using uBlock Origin, disable cosmetic filtering for this site. The eyedrop picker to block that ad placement element on the frontpage results in that.

This has happened recently.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

There is irony in the fact that this is the only one of my "followed threads" where there is any activity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone that uses an AdBlock app on iPhone getting this issue when trying to open certain threads? Never happened until today

@Boards.ie: Niamh Would it be possible to get forums forums to add a sticky to the top each forum that lists the mods and cmods for that forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How do you even tell on thread who is a mod these days?

Was reading a thread and the below post

It really looks like a random poster issuing instructions. The User Panel on the left needs to show Mod status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sadly there is no way of checking and trust me (as a mod) that is every bit as annoying for us as it is for the general user base.

I can confirm however that Ten of Swords is indeed a mod.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement