Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kev765

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Re my post above, got through on webchat and got my customs reference number in under 2 minutes total, v efficient, hopefully will be delivered v quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,230 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great news.

That's it, they're very good at getting that customs reference number to you if needed. So would recommend anyone else awaiting a package from outside the EU keep an eye on their tracking and once an EU/IE tracking number appears keep putting into An Post tracking so you can identify when its hit the customs process in case you're not notified.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Claire letting him have his own way, her big problem is the €3.50 charge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭deezell

She hasn't done her homework. It used to be €10, the drop to €3.50 was a reward for having electronic data that allowed automatic scanning, but given that all the previous on €26 stuff was now liable, it was a huge cash cow for AnPost and Revenue. They had the option of the €10 charge for manual assessment, but choose to just send everything back that didn't pass GO, which was nothing short of deliberate negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Pretty good example of journalism standards in Ireland there. I sent in an email asking the questions asked on here, not address, it might be too uncomfortable for him to have to face the truth.

Cheers, it says please be patient due to high volumes, did the tracking change to "out for delivery" before yours arrived or did it just show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,230 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This was me.

05 November 2021 08:44

We delivered your post

05 November 2021 07:07

Your post is out for delivery

05 November 2021 00:46

We have your post and are getting it ready for delivery

04 November 2021 18:27

Your delivery has been sorted

04 November 2021 17:27

Your delivery was received by An Post in

04 November 2021 12:39

Custom charges have been paid. Your item will be processed and delivered to you as soon as possible. Please hold tight while we work through high volumes.

03 November 2021 17:28

Your item is in Ireland. A customs charge has been applied and details have been sent to you. You can pay the fee on our website, or at your local Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kev765

And here is the David McRedmond clip from this morning:

Couple of interesting things in here:

For one he actually brought up the issues existing with not just the UK (specifically mentioned Japan, Australia and US) which seems to be the usual narrative.

He also mentioned that the issue seems to be these other post offices around the world aren't willing to change their systems just for Ireland, and the main problem there being that the EU wide rules that Ireland are following aren't mandatory to be implemented by other EU countries until the end of 2022 by which point presumably these post offices would all be willing to change because it would be affecting the whole of the EU.

For me this just seriously begs the question then why was the decision made for Ireland to pioneer these changes ahead of the rest of the EU rather than try to coordinate the change with other EU countries to make this a smoother process?

• Advertisement

That explains why stuff is flying into the rest of the EU. Probably a cash grab by revenue and an Post, just think of the thousands of packets previously delivered without financial benefit to an post, now worth €3.50 each to them and €5+ to the revenue.

I'd say close, but not quite the cigar. Revenue wouldn't care either way, if they were exempt that was fine. I think An Post jumped into this with both feet, dropping the charge from €10 to 3.50 to keep shoppers "happy". System is automated, they get paid €3.50 for old rope. They didn't see down the road this going all t!ts up, and the €3.50 wouldn't cover the work involved, so they sent it all back. Any other company with half a brain would leave the cost as is until the new system had time to bed in. People are probably bitching more about the €3.50 than they did about the €10.00.

An Post kept harping on about them not being able to change the documentation, but I'm sure there is a way to change the final figures before the entry is cleared. For a company that tells everyone how eager it is to do things right, they don't seem to care much that their AddressPal partners completely make it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

The "revenue" you distain are the Government.

They have identified a possible loss to the Exchequer and have moved to rectify it.

When importing goods you have the opportunity to become an authorized importer and save yourself the €3.50 that an post will charge.

But I suspect it would actually cost you more than €3.50.

The Addresspal hypocrisy was noted here before, another cash cow for them, double VAT for the buyer, just to ensure your packet gets delivered.

The government didn't identify it, the EU did. More specifically, Sweden. No harm it was done, either. I don't see why we should support the Chinese economy.

Agreed, I've no time for authoritarian regimes, but I've never had a problem paying the duty/vat on non EU imports, before or since the value threshold was removed. What I object to is AnPost FAILING to request this tax on behalf of the revenue, and returning my goods instead. That was their duty (pardon the pun), and they just decided not to do it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As happened in Sweden in 2018, An Post could have processed everything, and then found that thousands of parcels would be refused. And they would be left with the responsibility of getting them back to China. Not much profit in that out of €3.50, or even €10. I'm wondering why this has not happened all round the EU, if as people claim here every other country is allowing all the parcels in. They would have to charge VAT, and I don't think French or Italian people would be any more likely to pay than the Swedes.

The 75 kronor charge, introduced in March this year (2018) in order to ensure the state didn't lose out on VAT, has meant that many customers have chosen simply not to collect their items. Postnord is then obligated to send these goods back to the country of origin, due to international trade agreements.

That looks like Sweden made exactly the same balls up in implementation as was made here, only we weren't given an opportunity to pay the charges. An Post put in a system, that now looks like it was way earlier than any other EU country, bar Sweden. They are criticised for a similar lack of communication.

Of course all the exporters who ship into the EU from Russia, Japan, USA, Australia and other countries are incorrect when they say it is only Ireland, despite eBay and other sites now quite clearly not shipping to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If the computer says "No" each of our parcels is part of a tsunami of foreign parcels as described by the UPU and DPD. Postal administrations have warnings that parcels for the EU will be sent back if rejected by Customs. And there is political cover for this action in Ireland. It comes down to Chinese dumping and Brexit, ruining our nice handy system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

A quick question for somebody familiar with Customs regs and requirements.

Are there any exceptional rules or procedures if I want to import some groceries (for personal consumption).

I'm aware of avoiding dairy /meats and seafoods. All I'm talking about is processed foods in jars, tins or sealed sachets.

Is it like importing anything else, TARIC codes, Values, Descriptions etc on a CN23 or is there more to it?

Any advice very welcome! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I was gonna post that link too, a friend sent it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Seen this on RTE website

An Post said it is working with Royal Mail to get the coding on parcels right so as mail can get through to Irish customers

The chief executive of An Post has said that EU customs rules are "anti-postal" and have caused delays in moving parcels from the UK into Ireland at an indirect cost to the company of up to €8m this year.

David McRedmond said that since the UK left the EU, domestic post is encountering real problems.

He said that people do not know the rules and fail to fill in the right paperwork before sending items to Ireland.

Mr McRedmond said that the UK post office has not put in place rules and systems to deal with the EU rules, which will not become mandatory across the EU until 2022.

Thi means that customers in the UK are not being asked to pay charges and fill in paperwork in their local post office, which means the items posted cannot be released here.

"In the meantime we have to work twice as hard to make sure we can get parcels to people," the An Post CEO said.

Mr McRedmond said the problem is the EU rules are anti-postal and work for logistic and import/export companies but not for what the postal service is designed for - trade facilitation.

He said An Post is working with Royal Mail to get the coding on parcels right and with Irish customs, who are showing some flexibility.

But An Post still has to collect duties under law and cannot release the parcels until it has these collected, he added.

He said it is a matter of law and An Post has no discretion. "All we care about is getting parcels to people but we have to follow the rules," he added.

Mr McRedmond said there are also issues with post coming from Japan, Australia and the US.

Speaking on the Today with Claire Byrne show, the An Post chief also defended the €3.50 handling charge that applies if duty must be charged, saying the charge does not cover the costs of the additional work required by An POST. Stamp prices may rise again next year

David McRedmond also said today there is a possibility that the price of stamps will rise again next year.

He said that transport inflation is running at 13% and An Post must continue to invest to ensure it has a good infrastructure.

He said last year's stamp increase was the first in four years, whereas the price paid to Aer Lingus to carry parcels has gone up 300% as so few planes are flying due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

"We are not here to make a profit, but to provide a service," he stated, adding that An Post works to keep prices down, while providing a high quality service.

According to Mr McRedmond, An Post are in advanced talks with a number of mortgage providers to try and find a unique product it can launch in the future.

"We'd love to have it now and as quickly as possible, but there is no point in coming up with something that consumers can do elsewhere in the market," he stated.

Mr McRedmond said that post offices have had a really difficult time during Covid, but that 99% of them stayed open every day.

He said the fall off in foreign currency and social welfare payments, in particular that PUP payments were not made through the post office, impacted on the business.

An Post is providing postmasters with an additional Covid subsidy to the end of 2022 in the hope that will give time for business to recover, he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Recently I've had VAT (and charges) levied on two parcels of books which are meant to be 0% rated for VAT. I'm waiting to hear back from An Post regarding one parcel but Fedex have cancelled the invoice on the parcel of books that they delivered.

"In response to your query regarding the above referenced invoice. Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to you. I can confirm that the invoice has now been credited in full as it was raised in error."

I contacted fedex on the email address ieinvoicequery@fedex.com in case anyone needs to protest a charge, it did take about a month to hear back from them mind you.

My parcel just came even though its still down as being sorted. Time frame below:

23 November 2021 14:50

Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

23 November 2021 12:26

We have your post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

23 November 2021 12:25

Your delivery was received by An Post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

23 November 2021 09:55

Custom charges have been paid. Your item will be processed and delivered to you as soon as possible. Please hold tight while we work through high volumes.

22 November 2021 16:26

Your item is in Ireland. A customs charge has been applied and details have been sent to you. You can pay the fee on our website, or at your local Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gtd58

On enquiring about why a parcel was returned by An Post to Australia (and assuming it must be a post Brexit EU wide problem), my daughter who lives there was told at an Australian Post Office manager, this is NOT an EU wide problem, it is ONLY Ireland which has recently engaged in this parcel returning nonsense.

Touché from my supplier there. I could track his orders as he used incremental tracking numbers for some time after my returned one, and I could see them all being delivered to US, UK, EU, often in less than a week to US. 3 weeks to here, another 4 with AnPost, then off back to Oz with you, ye dirty Bogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• I just had another go missing from the UK, this one had the Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) Irish VAT paid at purchase point.
    • That's the second IOSS paid parcel to go missing.
    • I sell some bits on eBay myself and anything going to the UK automatically includes the IOSS number with 'Tax Paid' mentioned in the address, but An Post still fill out the c22 before sending it.
    • So I'm wondering do parcels entering Ireland still need the c22 even if the IOSS tax paid details are included?

Advertisement