Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is rugby/the Irish rugby team so popular?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We've peaked too soon with the win over NZ so expect the next WC to be a disappointment.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Hardly, Ireland was fairly shite up till the England game. In reality they have played 3 games well since 2018 so not sure how anyone could say we have peaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

We would have a greater chance in the World Cup if we were beaten by 30 points last weekend.

Ireland have a 3 match tour in NZ this summer. Every rugby fan is waiting for that, that will be the big test. Getting beat by 30 last weekend would have made f**k all difference, the same as winning by 9 made f**k all difference but it was good to win the match.

The 6 nations and then the NZ tour are the real challenges before the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think you have switched the term skill for the term entertainment in your mind.

As a rugby fan, I would prefer to watch an attacking game like Ireland NZ or the France NZ game last night to the Ireland team of a few years ago when they were not nearly as good to watch. But entertainment isn't a synonym for skill.

You've cleared up why you undervalue defensive skills. Thanks for that (you didn't tell me why you asked the question I answered in your last post though) . I disagree with your criteria for skill. I appreciate the other skills that gonig to making a team work. But I'm an actual rugby fan. I don't claim to be a superfan, but I appreciate more about the game than attacking and making big runs.

If a player shows great skill in attacking, and a defender successfully defeats their skillful attack, who has shown more skill? Presumably you think the more entertaining player has shown more skill?

Yeah the first question he asked BOD was if we're going to win the world Cup after that match. It was all tongue in cheek and quite self-aware.

Excellent performance, shows great potential in the players and tactics for the six nations and beyond. But it was just an autumn international, 2 years out from the world Cup. I think Johnny was very quicknto say this is the start of the world cup cycle, not the peak.

Maybe if soneone is reading redtops you'd get a very sensational, 2 dimensional view of the match, but the big papers covered it with perspective.

Maybe you're right, maybe not. Time will tell.

But I can tell you one thing, the rugby fans will be much more likely to say, 'disappointing but, shur they did their best. Need to improve for the 6N'. And the people who dislike rugby will act much more upset and how the tram are shyte and let everyone down, elite sport, over hyped, marketing, sheep, rugby's a terrible sport anyway, no skill - basically a rehash of this kind of thread.

Let's not pretend this thread is anything other than one of the biannual threads giving an opportunity for non-rugby fans to air their grievances with rugby and offer reasons why people who take enjoyment from rugby are wrong to do so.

It is interesting the over reaction here from non rugby fans.

Just watching the England & France game yesterday, according to some they are also "friendlies" yet both teams and fans seemed to enjoy the wins. France especially and they are a country which rugby really is nearly top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Watched France v nz and Wales v Australia too

No silverware to play for, but to the players and the Dfan's, these games absolutely mattered in the moment

Ultimately sport is meaningless and so is life. But in the moment of a heroic victory, or a narrow defeat, or a humiliation, elite sports like rugby certainly can spark intense feelings of shared pride, or joy, or sadness.

Of course the same emotions can be attached to local and lower tier sports. They're just not so widely shared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

Some good points on here.

One that is maybe overlooked is the role of the media. Many journalists/editors seem to like the game and it gets a disproportionate amount of coverage, relative to its viewership. There can be a lot of hyperbole too...

Take the Sunday independent today announcing that rugby is now 'the dominant sport in irish hearts and minds'

That's a bit of a stretch on a weekend where tens of thousands have attended senior club finals up and down the country, not to mention the many more tens of thousands attending intermediate, junior fixtures also. By contrast, I imagine attendance at club rugby fixtures must look paltry.

Edit: easily hundreds of thousands this weekend actually

Yeah the GAA is by far the most popular sport. As a rugby fan I've absolutely no doubt that the GAA sports are dominant in Irish hearts and minds.

I'd say in terms of international sports then rugby is probably the main one at the moment while the soccer team isn't doing well. If the Irish soccer team were competing at a relative level, getting to tournaments and Irish domestic soccer could compete in any way in Europe, then soccer would win by default.

Rugby has great media coverage. No doubt that helps put it in people's consciousness. I suppose casual fans judge it interesting enough to watch. Otherwise they wouldn't watch it.

I don't read those articles because in reality they are written for the exact reason you see thread like this, pure click bait. Stir a few pots and get everyone talking which is exactly what a journo is supposed to do.

GAA is number 1 by a distance. Also really number 1 & 2 with Football and hurling, and if you talk to my kids ladies GAA is all they want to talk about a lot of the time.

Then soccer, terrible & all the Irish attempt at a league is we still have most of the country thinking they live in England.

In terms of the media you have a couple of journalists but they are dwarfed in numbers compared to GAA/soccer.

The difference is TV, rugby is cheaper than soccer so you get the URC games now on RTE and they could afford to purchase right with the limited budget, with the English Premiership they had to dump the highlights program because they couldn't afford it and get the international soccer games because no other station really has any interest showing Ireland losing to Luxembourg.

RTE of course own GAA but do a terrible job, in reality they could have a 24 hour GAA channel playing clubs games etc but they would never bother, they will wait till someone else does it for them and then complain when they lose rights to the big games

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Here's an example of skills.

Its not sexy, but executing this in the heat of a match, legally, is a skill. Rugby teams initially brough in judo coaches and wrestling techniques to do this.

The fact that a player will have to do this multiple times, while tackling, carrying, lifting, scrummaging, knowing plays, and reading opposition plays means that yes, surprise surprise rugby players need to have multiple skills, simultaneously.

Footballers are skilled. But some have a touch of an elephant. some can't cross. some can't pass. The idea that soccer players are all skilful (skillful as in squareballs eyes) is just a lie.Now if you consider defensive skills as highly as a dribble, then thats bullshit. Skills are the expertise or talent needed in order to do a job or task. that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Why I asked what question?

Usually the attacking player has shown more skill if they beat the defender and the opposite if defender beats the attacker or some of the time poor attacking skills can breakdown a move without much intervention from the defender.

It's easier to stop a player doing something in the majority of scenario's. Defenders can disrupt a player trying to score going a number of ways.

You asked if a scrumhalf is kore skilled than a prop. I answered tour question and asked why you asked the question but you didn't respond.

Presumably poor defensive skill can allow an attacker to score without much skill? But ultimately, if you discount or can't identify defensive skill in rugby then you'll under rate lots of players. But more importantly you'll also miss about half the game of rugby so I'm not sure you're in a position to judge the skill involved if you're only rating them on half the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,086 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is it in a nut shell

The media will hype rugby no end, like the hyperbole that the poster mentions in the post I am quoting.

And it's simple to see why they do this, because most of the people that are watching rugby or have an "interest" in it are not really that interested in rugby the sport.

To them it's a TV show, a big day/night out in Dublin or Limerick

So headlines like that are indeed clickbait, clickbait for the like of people I have just described.

The small number of rugby fans that there are in the country will take it with a pinch of salt, but the large number of people who like to think they are into rugby will gobble it up, just like they will gobble up the "this is rugby country" and the "team of us".

Meanwhile the mid Kerry senior championship semi final had well over 400 people at it on Saturday afternoon.

Just for context the mid Kerry senior football semifinal is about 40 levels removed from the All Ireland Senior football.

I doubt you are getting 400+peopel at a game 40 levels removed from Ireland v NZ.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

My apologies, I asked it to see if you valued a props skillset and importance to the team over the player who touches the ball most during a game. It still makes no sense to me that the fella who touches the ball the most is less skilled than any other player on the pitch.

Yeah obviously poor defensive skill can allow attackers to score. Soccer and football have defensive sides to it too, it's not just rugby by the way.

What position did you play when you played yourself?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Scrum halves are consistently less valuable than tight head props.

If you don't understand why, then you don't understand the game.

They should be the most important players seen as they are on the ball more than anyone else.

So maybe tight head props are super skilful but the rest of the team isn't then😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I know this is a crazy thought but maybe the people in charge of negotiating rugby contracts know a lot more about the skills in each position than you do?

You can get away with an average scrum half a lot more than you can an average prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Timfy

Definitely the most important player on the field... (disclaimer, posted by an ex tighthead prop!)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

If you can only see skill when someone is on the ball then I get where you're coming from. But you're applying a standard to rugby that really doesn't fit the sport.

I played second row. What position did you play?

I'm a bit meh about rugby union although I like most sports. I appreciate the physicality and the athleticism, but the game itself is too stop-start and lacking in the aesthetics department.

Last time I checked, rugby league is way more fast-paced and free flowing... and more entertaining.

And some find the repetitive nature of rugby league to be boring. Crash tackle repeat.

But hey, like it's all about appreciating differences

Well one thing I hope all can agree on is that there is no sport on earth worse than American football :D

“The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. ”

― George Bernard Shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,086 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

American football is one of the best in the world.

Yes it's stop start, but like any sport you have to know something about the rules, tactics, nuances etc. of the game to appreciate it.

I also like cricket and baseball.

Hurling and ice hockey are two of the fastest games in the world, but I would not watch either of them.

I find both of them very random, just send the ball/puck long and fast up the field/ice and hope that one of your players gets a chance to get it.

Plus if you look at a league like the NFL it's a 100 times more competitive than some like the premiership.

Watch NFL RedZone on a Sunday night and you have multiple games in the balance with a could of minutes left in them.

You have teams that you though were good losing to teams that you though were bad on a regular basis.

You have the majority of teams in with a decent chance of wining the title every year

Something you would never see in soccer.

• Advertisement

Never played it competitively.

There is skill to defending but I think you are over estimating how much skill there is to the game.

John Hayes earning 100 caps at the top level after only taking up the sport at 18 is a good example of the difficulty of mastering the skills of the game, which was my point. It's still a great game though.

Advertisement