Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is rugby/the Irish rugby team so popular?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sure you have. Tell us more about it Oh Skillful One. Question, is English your second language?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Just admit it, rugby is low skilled compared to the other field sports played in the country.

Jumping, timing a tackle, hooking/blocking/ saving shots are skills in all the other sports too. These are not what the skilful players are renowned for.

They are part and parcel of the game but more than half the rugby team don't kick the ball😂

Right. In your sad little mind skillful = kicking. Glad we cleared that up. So there is zero skill in cricket, golf, baseball, basketball, darts, water polo, handball, netball, ice hockey, hockey, polo, tennis, gymnastics, volleyball, boxing, MMA, fencing, judo, lacrosse and dozens of other sports. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

It feeds on your retaliation...it gives it sustainance

I love the conclusions you keep jumping to. I say one thing you think I say another, I mustn't be making my points very clearly.

Not just kicking but tell me what skill outside of scrummaging does your average front row show in open play? He receives the ball holds it, rolls over and presents to the scrumhalf, breaks the gain line the odd time or passes to player 5 feet away from him. Just admit it's not as skilful as the other field sports where every player has to be competent in all other skills regardless of position.

I have played soccer and football for club and school at all grades from under 10's to senior club, I have coached both adult and underage teams in both codes. Have completed a number of coaching courses/badges in both codes.

What about yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Be good if you actually read the post before jumping in with both feet, a skill you seem to have mastered.

Can't remember many hurleys been hooked or shots saved in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Serious question for you: Why, relatively speaking, as shown by world rankings, are the Irish so crap at soccer and so good at Rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The youth set up we have is world class and is targeted at schools rugby where it’s easier to create a team of players and mould each one individually because the school have each kid for 6 years before sending the good ones off to an academy. Our provinces are also amongst the best out there also so there is a close easy outlets to make sure they get the best coaching possible and opportunities for success!

Soccer isn’t a school sport to no one can stop a kid just quitting if they don’t like it and a coach has a changing team year after year so there isn’t a chance to build players within a team! When I was in school the choice wasn’t if you wanted to play rugby or not… it was “back or forward”*

*That’s a total lie actually…. I was a full back because on day one our vice principle told me I was a full back

The number of teams that play at a high level is a help. Only about 9 countries that take Rugby seriously and it's not even the dominant sport in any of those countries other than New Zealand and traditionally Wales. Soccer is the first choice sport in most countries across the world and it is extremely badly ran by the FAI, we had been overachieving internationally for about 20 years from late 80's to the mid 2000's given the structures and facilities available to us piggybacking off the quality of the domestic game in England.

The domestic rugby game is well ran here and provincial teams are focussed around the national team, none of the players have to play for their clubs during the 6 Nations like they do in France and England. Contracts are awarded centrally and players effectively get more money and better contracts if they do well internationally so it all helps to make us competitive. The IRFU use the provincial sides to fill in gaps by recruiting players in positions we are weak so compliments players we already have too.

Would you consider being the 20th ranked country in soccer more or less of an achievement than being the 5th ranked team in Rugby if that were the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

All wrong

Incorrect on 9 countries take it serious. Investment in the game is happening all across the World including the likes of Russia, Spain etc

None of the players in France or England play for their clubs during the 6 nations.

The number of central contracts has been reduced to the super stars on the team, years ago it was anyone in the squad and now it is now minimal. The IRFU also give central contracts as they include image rights, so those players will then be used for TV advertisements etc

This is the full rankings: https://www.world.rugby/tournaments/rankings/mru

110 teams are in the World Rankings.

The bringing of players into spot is more or less closed now with a 5 year period.

I find it baffling you continue to post information on a subject you clearly have shown you know absolutely nothing about. The only bit you got right was about the soccer except you failed to post that the Irish Soccer Fan has no interest in the FAI investing in local teams. They are more interested in supporting English clubs with no Irish players and no links at all to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Sure. I believe you. You are clueless about was hat skill is yet you claim to have played and coached sport to a high level. Riiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhttttt.

Ireland are so poor at soccer is because they have never invested in the local league like every other country in the World does. I wouldn't say crap as they have some decent players still. They had a successful period, made loads of money and wasted it. The Irish soccer fan has no interest in local teams/league. Any young player big hope is to be shipped off to England on their own to become a super star. This doesn't really work. In reality what they should do is invest the money in local league, make the teams stronger and the better players can be sold to premiership for money, not handed over for free like most are. Like Coleman done from Sligo etc.

Also loads of kids fail as moving at a young age to another country is a disaster. You will find some of the rugby players could have played soccer as they are just talented player but the route to get into a proper team and make a living is a long and dodgy road.

The FAI and the Irish soccer fan has zero interest in changing this. The issue they also have is the players they used to pick up on the Granny rule now are a couple of generations further along and dont see themselves as having any links to Ireland. Plus england have fewer players in the multi national top teams so they go down the league looking for these players as well, Playing for England or playing or Ireland? which would you choose?

I'm glad you do😂 We have training tomorrow evening at 7 if you want to come along. I never said I played or coached at a particularly high level.

What do you enjoy about rugby as a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You keep telling people to show up to a rugby club and get minced as though thats proof of skill 😂

Can you imagine the average english rugby lad rocking up to a hurling club and trying to lift a sliotar, I guarantee you that every single hurler in that club could pick a rugby ball up off the ground, no hassle 😂.

Boxing, lacrosse and hockey are indeed skilled but don't lump Rugby in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Although you're joking that's basically what de Valera wished for each and every Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You mean apart from the part of the game which they are specially skilled to do? Also apart from defending spaces, making tackles, defensive and offensive rucking, lineout lifting and mauls, probably not much to it.

Shur there's so little to it, you might as well come out of retirement and give it a go yourself.

In case anyone is interested, the poster quoted above is demonstration a phenomenal called the Dunning Kruger effect. It's where someone knows a small bit about something but doesn't know enough to realise they only know a small amount about it. It causes people to vastly overestimate there knowledge of a topic and vastly underestimate the complexity of it at the same time.

Square ball, if prop was so low skill and anyone with the size could do it, why is prop the highest paid position in rugby?

Do we really need the "my sport is better than your sport" conversation?

Why not just let people enjoy rugby and you enjoy whatever sport you want? I don't see why we need a thread to try & say XUZ sport is better than ABC sport

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

jesus how worrying that such a closed minded individual and idiot is coaching young players. Christ.

The average front row in top level rugby must have dozens of skills. Furlongs paid about 800k per annum for a myriad of unique skills. but ah shure he has no skills.

Rugby is a team sport of various skillsets.

You do know football has the same idea. You think every football player can score a goal? some are useless at it. some have awful first touch.

Your perception of sports is idiotic. and you shouldn't be anywhere near a coaching position.

Skilfull in football means one thing, in another sport it means something else. In football the terminology is usually a good way of hyping and under analysing a player. you can be sure as **** Liverpool coaches and analysts appreciate the unique defensive skillset of Van Djik. But yeah usually its referreing to an attacker who can dribble, pick a pass. A skillful player. its just shorthand for quick bar stool chatter or reviews.

In rugby people talk about a skills coach. Usually this has to do with handling and passing, offloading.

In both instances it ignores so much actual skillsets.

I don't think anybody is arguing rugby is more skilful. But you are blathering about it having no skill. Thats just ignorant and shows you up for being an idiot.

It's the internet, I wouldn't believe a word of it. One minute the poster is attending rugby match's for years but hates rugby, also doesn't even understand have a basic understanding of rugby. The next they are a budding Alex Ferguson 😂

It's all rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

oh for sure but its a widely held belief. google it, some GAA expert had a similar take in the Indo. Does my nut in. Such ignorant people should be nowwhere near sport in general. Hate on rugby for a myriad of other reasons, but this is just ignorant.

You will always have a small percentage. My kids play all sports, soccer/rugby/GAA/plus others. Majority of the coach's are parents and you will see them also bringing their kids to other sports as well.

Of course as mentioned you will have a very small percentage that have a problem with another sport, but to be honest the problem is with the person not with the sport. I am still struggling to see why someone would have an issue with another sport? once it gets people out playing and enjoying something who cares what it is?

You would have to have a fairly sad life if you are going around giving out about a sport you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I know a few people who have the shirts and go to games but seem to have only a rudimentary understanding of the rules. Also, the only players they "know" are the Irish ones, they don't appreciate great players from NZ, SA etc.

I'm only a casual fan myself and won't claim to be anything more than that. The thing I like most about rugby is the fights which sadly aren't that common or at least aren't very visible.

One of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

Just because a sport doesn't have the steep learning curve of hurling, ice hockey or the like, doesn't mean it doesn't require immense skill to play at the highest level.

It requires immense skill to play anything at the highest level. Doesnt change the fact that the core skills of rugby are rudimentry in comparison to other field sports because the emphasis in rugby is on physicality over everything. Ask a lad with no training to solo a sliotar about fifty feet and then stick it in the net on the run, it won't happen, more or less the same with soccer, hockey, Gaelic etc. Rugby? A toddler can run over a line holding a ball.

But rugby is not "run over a line holding a ball" is it now?

If we're being this reductive, the 'core skill' of soccer and Gaelic is kicking a ball at a rather large target which more or less anyone can do.

Can your toddler slot over a penalty or drop-goal from the halfway line? Throw a twenty metre flat spin pass running at top speed, knowing that he'll be smashed immediately after? Jackal? Ruck? Offload?

If rugby was 'physicality over everything', SA would never lose a game again.

Physicality is necessary, not sufficient.

Maybe I'm completlely wrong so remind me, how do you solo the ball and score in rugby? Hold ball and run isnt it?

Compare that to move the ball and score in hurling and gaelic.

I've just realised American Football is less skilful than rugby. After all, you don't even have to put the ball down, do you? Just break the plane?

Why are they paying Tom Brady so much? Toddler could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

like any speed based sport, soccer is actually the easiest to play, thus its popularity. you can run full out in soccer and you have no impediment to your run, its essentially sprinting.

in hurling youve a slight impediment in that youve a piece of wood in one hand, but you can still sing your non holding arm to aid in your speed.

in football the solo is an immense skill, one that even some players at the highest county level still have difficulty with. however you can still take 4 steps (min) between solos, and you can hop once as well, which helps in your speed.

Hockey is a very difficult sport to run full pelt out at when in possession. The bent over action, eyes down, holding the stick in both hands, is very difficult. The reduced size of the pitch helps to mitigate against this difficulty.

In rugby, trying to run with both arms / hands out in front of you while holding a 60 cm circumference oval shape and run full pelt is actually an incredibly difficult skill to master. its an unnatural action to run with both arms not swinging alternatively. put on top of that then the ability to throw 15 meter passes off both hands while running at top speed, sometimes in wet weather ... again, you sometimes see top level players have difficulty with this and throw stinkers.

so even these "rudimentary" skills of rugby take 1000's of hours of practise and game time to master.

similar to a soccer player running full out and trapping an over shoulder ball so its immediately under control. Different skills but no less mastery in perfection.

Advertisement