Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel of Time (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I dunno why

GOT is basically Fantasy for 18+

Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, (well the books) are really 12+ at worst. Completely different.

As someone else said the books are less complex than people have come to expect.

I see it's 16+ on Prime. Must have spiced it up for TV audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maria Doyle Kennedy is in everything these days.

I enjoyed the opening 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Can you elaborate for me please? It's a toss up between this and Cowboy Bebop and I loved the books and the anime but I fear it will be the least bad who wins out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jeez, episode 1 was brilliant. I think there's been some deviations from the book, but if the rest of the season is this good, who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

just started, lets hope it lives up to my memory of the books

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Disclaimer I have only watched episode 1.

I went in totally blind enjoyed lord of the rings, loved a lot of game of thrones...the script in this...hmm...Rosamund Pike in particular does her best but it is kind of awful, some of the other actors are dreadful. It feels weirdly cheap in places bizarrely given the budget. I might watch one more but it needs to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they've made a balls of the audio anyway, dialogue quite hard to pick up in some scenes

15 mins in, i can see this going the way of sword of truth rather than GOT/LOTR

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

Big fan of the books really didn’t like the first episode.

Some pretty huge changes made to the book for no real reason. Lots of minors one which was to be expected.

The whole tone of the first episode was way off from the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Watched all three episodes. First one not so good, Moiraine seemed like the book character and same with Rand, Lan, Gwayne and Nynaeve nothing like the books. Personally the actor who plays Thom Merrilin looked more like the Lan I had pictured from the books.

Got more into it for the second and third episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

I really didn’t want to like it, I got sucked into the negativity but it gets better each episode (albeit quiet slowly). As the main cast get stuck into their journeys, I appreciate seeing familiar faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Wooden in parts, especially Thom and Rand interactions. Small thing like the bulky heron on the sword and the way the camera was used to highlight it just seemed cheap... Perrin had a wife?

Good thing there were 3 episodes because the first was lacking so much.. It did get better but that first episodes my god.

Edit: Tam not Thom sorry mix up could be because the audio is a bit off.

Post edited by Gary kk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Big improvements in second and third episodes after an opener that would definitely knock book readers off their blocks a little.

I know they can't include everything, but things like Tam/Rand's relationship are sore to miss. Compare their departure in the books with the show, Tam is practically waving him off as if he's away to Magaluf with the lads in the show.

The stuff at the inn really caught me off-guard, I thought it was done really well, until the somewhat chunky exposition at the end.

Have to say, I'm really feeling the actor playing Thom, he's a big gruffer than I anticipated, but had a great presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So, I stayed up to watch it, and now I've let it digest a bit (and actually got some sleep), I have some thoughts.

Is it going to be the next GoT? No, it's not. There's just a few things about it that drag down the quality.

Trollocs that were keeping up with horses, suddenly not able to run faster than a girl on foot. The darkness of Shadar Logoth changing speed and how close it is with different camera angles. Ishy CGI being a little on the cheap side.

However, I did like most of the changes. They make sense from a film side of things.

Perrin's wife adds an immediate dislike for axes that was a very much monologue type dislike in the books.

Lan and Nynaeve make more sense like that, and their budding relationship is more apparent.

Thom isn't the same, but I actually really like the grumpy brooding Thom.

I love book Mat, but his tv backstory is acceptable to me. It may make for a more interesting plot later.

I'll probably end up watching it again over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I watched the first 3 episodes there. Mixed feelings. Nynaeve seems to be well cast, along with Moraine and Lan.

However I have issues with the rest of the main gang. Mat is one of the best fantasy characters ever written, a true rogue and chancer with fantastic wit but here he just comes across like a miserable, whiney waster. Perrin is another misery guts in this adaptation and it's compounded by the actors complete inability to act. He's sub Fair City. Rand isn't much better.

The first episode seemed very rushed and badly paced but it has settled a bit. I guess I'm holding out and hoping that it continues to improve and I warm a bit more to the cast. I really believe that despite the novels being a bit drawn out the story is one hell of a journey. So long as they don't make a complete balls of it

Book related commentary which has some serious (imho) differences and hampers/changes the narrative.

Do NOT read if you're not a book reader

On Matt, they've given us nothing of the prankster, chancer, kiss getter. Just broke surley Matt, so there is nothing in his presented character to say that the dagger is changing him at all. Even a shot of the ruby having black tendrils clouding through it or something.

As it is, it looks like he's a prick since episode one.

It may seem a small thing but not knowing if the Dragon reborn will be male or female is huge.

The reds would have to be hunting women too, who claim to be such. The wouldn't be going mad but would be fermenting war.

It also lessens Moraine's hunt. Knowing that she's going against The Tower in looking for a male channeler and shielding him.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Not sure how Perrin could anything but at the moment. How do I add spoiler alerts here

The symbol in the image, then the quotation mark sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I kind of like that they aren't afraid to chop and change the story a bit if it works, should hopefully be a good thing if they get into the later books and they trim back or rearrange the story a bit to improve the pacing

I'm not sure they tied the different pieces together in these episodes in a way that explains the concepts well enough though, kind of feels like they edited it a bunch after the fact

Maybe they'll add more detail as they go and they are just trying to introduce things so we have reference to them or something but seems a bit thin at the minute

Having said that though I enjoyed it so far, hopefully it picks up a bit.

Completely forgot this was a weekly thing as well

In fairness GOT in both book and the TV show had massive plot holes. I wouldn't hold it up as any standard in that regard. GOT couldn't decide if it was fantasy, historical medieval novel, political thriller or something else. WOT is very much Fantasy only. Very different. Though WOT the TV show seems to turned every thing up to 11 vs the books from what I've seen this far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

The first episode is really terrible and the changes they made make absolutely no sense.

Firstly - the concept of the Dragon Reborn possibly being a woman completely undermines the entire reason for the Aes Sedai to be fearful of the Dragon. It takes a ton of Moiraine's story and motivation away. Literally only done for the sake of inclusion and representation - even though females are so well represented anyway in this series. Absolute muck.

If anything they should be excited by the Dragon now given the reasonable chance of them being a woman. The taint turns men mad - that is why the Dragon is feared. Because he will eventually go mad. If it's a woman then there isn't the issue of the taint, the woman would probably be a strong ally of the tower without the need for worry.

Secondly - The 'rumour' of 4 Ta'veren in the Two Rivers is such an insanely stupid line that I cannot believe it made it into the show. How would anybody know what that is? How would people have known what to look out for? Why have they added another one?

Thirdly - The addition of Perrin's new wife and her fate is such a bizarre storyline which achieved nothing.

The editing was horrific, no scene had any time to breathe. The direction the same. Amateur hour stuff really - the trolloc invasion was a total mess.

I have heard it improves but the first episode was so frustratingly bad that it has certainly taken a lot of the goodwill that I might have had away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Funnily enough I only started reading the books a week or 2 ago even though they have been on my kindle for months and was completely unaware that the series was being made until I saw it pop up on Amazon last night. I have to say the cast diversity is a bit of a turn off for me as it distracts completely from the 'realism'. I guess it is something they have to do these days but from my reading the 2 Rivers seems to be a cut off place that no one ever visits yet is inhabited by people from all over the world that have not interbred before the current generation. Seeing all the different ethnicities pulls me out of the story a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Know nothing of the books myself: the first episode was a bit messy but TBH I could count on 1 hand the number of shows that knock it out of the park in the first try. Gotta give these types of show a chance. The premise was intriguing enough, while the grisly violence was crunchy enough that it gave some threat.

The aesthetics were all a little too cheesy though, like a bunch of LARP'ers doing their best "twee medieval village" that constantly pulled me out of the story. Plus, speaks to how clichéd it is in video games, but the entire village attack has been done in a thousand RPGs as the inciting incident. I kept looking for a controller 😁.

Oh completely. In terms of the books, I prefer WoT.

There's no denying what GoT achieved though. A whole section of society that weren't interested in fantasy became fans. It reached a massive audience and was overall extremely successful. WoT would have had that potential. More so since the books are actually finished and we wouldn't be left with ending we had. It hasn't quite reached that quality though. I'm not expecting Battle of the Bastards level of scenes at any point really, based on what we've been given, even for Dumai's Wells.

Also to follow up on that post, I actually liked it better on rewatch, and caught a few more things.

Yeah everyone in the Two Rivers has the same ethnicity (white with maybe a slight tan, with darker hair and eyes - think Spain) and it's a plot point how Rand looks slightly different to the rest of them (very pale with red hair - Irish basically). It becomes more important later.

Funnily enough there are a fairly important group who turn up later who have a lot of black characters. And other groups who are mostly Asian - important characters from those ethnicities do end up being relevant later.

But in this show things like that need to be ignored for representation and diversity - because that's more important than giving an authentic representation of the source material.

This has been discussed and discussed. Racial diversity in the series is not as shocking as some would think.

EDIT: This could potentially be a little spoilery if you haven't read the books

For a global TV audience it can't be as undiversified as the books. I get that. But they should have made them dress similarly or something. Scfi shows manage it.

My point is that there is plenty of racial diversity that comes later. With the Seanchan, with Saldeans (who should look like Egwene looks).

I've seen that video and halfway through he shows who Robert Jordan envisaged playing the characters in any potential adaptation. That says plenty about the ethnicities that the writer of the books saw the characters as being.

I think they are going to do so. Thom mentioned it

There is a few distinctive races of people, I agree. If the entire world of the tv show is all the same level of diversity, you might have a point. We have no proof it is yet though.

As they go to say, those actors don't even match the physical traits of the characters in the books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Of course it can. GOT was a worldwide smash and was fairly rigid in the races that inhabited each area. In more recent times Squid Game did rather well for itself.

I think they get American political points for having a broad range of ethnicities but if it is good TV the audience do not care too much. It just keeps taking me out of the story as I have said as it is a distraction to the believability*.

*I know we are talking fantasy here btw and realism is not required

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

Advertisement