Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is religion merely failed science?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's astonishing that the obvious must be pointed out to you, but if you are not of the majority religion, then yes, engaging can indeed be battling.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some people are so far down the rabbit hole they see the catholic domination of state-funded health and education services here as entirely normal.

People looking for a neutral education for their kids i.e. without religious propaganda-as-fact are regarded as "weirdos" and constantly insulted and belittled on this site (ironically often by people who call themselves catholic but rarely bother to see the inside of a church)

96% of primary schools in this country are controlled by a church. That's insane in a supposedly developed country.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, it’s amazing how submissive the Bouncy Castle Catholics are.

Why anyone would put their kids into an organisation steeped in paedophilia is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

There's an Amish community in the South East. Ask them if their religion is battling.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Just no. Jesus, Taoism, Buddhism, Vegas are not primitive. You show your primitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

More people in Ireland have been ruined from up running round a field chasing a ball with the village idiots on the sidelines shouting abuse than from the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yeah? The parents, spectators, coaches and officials are busy raping kids, imprisoning them for forced labour in Magdalene Laundries, conducting illegal adoptions from Mother and Baby Homes and filling up septic tanks with the bodies of those they were supposed to be looking after? Get a grip, you f'n gowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

But don't folk say Popper is an idealised view of science, and not how it actually works? Isn't there another description of it (Kuhn?) where it looks at how science actually proceeds, which is more about there being an orthodoxy that guides research, which is frequently known to be wrong, and ultimately gets replaced by a new orthodoxy when the contradictions are too great.

Science is a human institution, but gets talked about as it we got it on tablets of stone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I might agree in the short, and in some cases the mid-term. Rather, I would suggest that we look at the long term of scientific discovery and inventions. The Kuhn Paradigm Cycle was not inconsistent with Popper’s Falsification Principle in the long term. Theories, paradigms, principles, etc, were considered useful to guide research so long as the preponderance and continuous collection of inductive and deductive data suggests reliable and valid empirical generalizations.

When a substantial amount of data suggests otherwise, the prior positions may be revised or discarded (falsified). Also see Wallace’s Wheel of Science, which appears consistent with Kuhn and Popper in the long term.

Without the guidance of existing and evolving theories, as well as suggestions from ongoing empirical research, scientists would have to reinvent the wheel when first examining an unexplained phenomenon. Intersubjectivity between theories and researchers has generally exhibited utility towards the growth and advancement of science.

Furthermore, the analytic tools we have today, and super computer programming that continues to rapidly and geometrically advance has opened extremely complex and vast data sources for analysis, especially in the inductive big data domains. We now are living in a major Kuhn Paradigm Cycle shift.

Not that you have, but I would be cautious about making broad sweeping claims about all scientists, peer reviewed scholarly journals, scientific institutions, universities, and corporate R&D that may exist in almost 200 countries where the scientific method may be applied today. Especially since the emergence and rapid growth of the World Wide Web, and in particular platforms that encourage conceptual, research design, analysis, and findings discussions.

Although anecdotal from my personal experience, I find a lot of arguments today about theoretical positions and research designs proposed when responding to research grant RFPs (requests for proposals). The competition for research monies has been considerable in recent years.

Post edited by Black Swan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Indeed, I'm sure there's complexity that needs to be understood. And I haven't read Kuhn's book (although I've just ordered it through the library, on foot of this thread, so we'll see where that goes!), but (just going on the inevitable Google) some of his point seems to be that progress actually comes from innovation outside science.

I just have a feeling that there could be a kind of fake conflict in the question posed in the OP (still a good question - I'm not knocking the topic). An alternative question might be "are all orthodoxies ultimately found to be false", which if we're not careful I suspect might take us to the point of wondering if all Cretans are liars.

I suppose, something like peer review offers a degree of comfort in respect of quality. And - acknowledging you likely know far more than I about research integrity - I would even regard the fact that dodgy research can still be published doesn't specially undermines that. All quality systems have their failures.

If there was something I think might need saying, its that some folk say "peer reviewed" almost as if that means something must be true. As I understand it, peer review just means that some people with relevant expertise confirm that a particular method has been correctly applied to a problem. Peer review absolutely doesn't confirm the outcome of a particular piece of research - which is how two peer reviewed studies could have conflicting findings.

Whats that to say? I think I'm wondering if folk need to be careful about seeing science as something that it isn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Major problems associated with science and the scientific method today are its rapid growth and complexity. Too few scientists are able to keep up with the advancements and discoveries within their own domain. Much less so between different domains where there may be substantial conceptual differences and definitions. Plus the rapidly increasing volume of research results takes too much time to read outside your domain.

Anecdotally, I am half time research and half time teaching. Where is the time to read outside your domain? Plus, “get a life” outside work might apply to me. Postings on Boards while with friends in a java house (now) has been a tiny outlet. Certainly beats watching nonsense on the Telly.

Passing Cert, even with a scientific emphasis, does not prepare anyone to read and understand scientific research and scholarly journals of all domains. And breaking news media reports have been too superficial, and sometimes misleading or spurious, especially when politically weaponized. Attempts to mitigate this loss of communication between the sciences and the tax paying public have been included in some research grant RFPs, where researchers are required to write not only a scholarly article, but also a report for citizens without scientific knowledge and understanding. Good luck trying to write something that has sense to a general audience.

Given a multiplicity of limitations, just a few mentioned here in this thread, it would be comparatively easier to write a very general book on the failures of science and the scientific method. Cherry picking selected examples to support my points, while ignoring those that do not. While at the same time concluding with the popular criticism of the sciences that they are human just like religion, and subject to the errors of belief systems (please forgive errors in logic). It has been very popular with some large audiences to be anti-scientific and may result in book sales to those believers in need of confirmation bias.

Cheers. Swann takes another sip of too much coffee.

Marsh comments on theories, scientific discoveries, and innovations. In an ideal world, scientific discovery as guided by theories would facilitate innovation. Rather, in many cases, but not all, educated guesses, methods, and new applications can emerge a bit messy. While scientists, whom get their hands often dirty in this real world of research will suggest caution (eg, see sections called Limitations or Recommendations for Future Research in scholarly journals, PhD dissertations, etc).

Those often critical of science in general will seize upon this messiness as a disqualification of credibility. And those favoring a religious perspective may point to this messy scientific approach as a serious weakness in contrast to the absolute truths of the religion they believe in.

Another source of messiness comes from what scientists call trial and error research. What some business folks call “Do it. Fix it. Try it.” Essentially you have a problem to solve and you play with potential solutions. If you find something new as a result, you may call it innovation. The ISO 9000 international quality assurance standards are one approach (of many practical applications) to continuous improvement, as is the Japanese Kaizen philosophy.

Wallace’s Wheel of Science suggests a mitigation of this messiness observation, and attempts to show how the advancement of theories (or their revision or falsification) may occur. Wallace suggests that it is an interactive and continuous process whereby the interaction of theories and newly discovered empirical generalizations that have been preceded (or current or future) by inductive and deductive analysis of empirical data results in new outcomes, and sometimes innovative applications.

Added to this messiness are the occasion of serendipitous discoveries that have occurred when scientists explored in one direction and something unexpected pops up. Sometimes this surprise, if exploited per Marsh, results in useful new innovations. But if you already have all the absolute religious truths to inform your world, to what extent may you miss a serendipitous discovery that scientists may have unintentionally stumbled upon? Especially if that discovery flies in the face of religious truths?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I think you might be misunderstanding what science is and means here :) "Science" is a process of asking "how". If science had all the answers it would stop being science :) By its very nature it only exists because there are questions still unanswered. "Science" is what happens when we literally don't know. "Religion" is what happens when we fill in the blanks with narrative.

You are entirely right that science has thus far not given us any answers as to how we all came to be here in this universe. But that is the whole point of science.... to find out that answer.

And what that answer is.... be it a god or a matrix simulation or a fluke of nature or something else..... is the realm of hypothesis. And hypothesis is great!

But as lost as we are..... the unfortunate fact remains for theists..... that the idea our existence here is due to the machinations of an intelligent intentional non human agent........... is currently not supported by any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning.

That does not mean there is NOT a "god" of course. It just means we currently have no reason to think there is.

So is religion a "failed" science? Yes and no. Religion is in the same business as science is..... which is answering questions as yet unanswered.

Are religion and science in conflict? Again yes and no. They are in constant struggle over the real estate of human ignorance. So of course conflict will happen. But that conflict has so far only gone in one direction.

Ask yourself: Is there any question where ONCE we had a religious answer which was LATER usurped by an answer from science? (I submit for consideration the germ theory of disease).

In contrast I would ask: Is there any question which ONCE had a scientific answer which was LATER usurped by a religious one? I am still waiting to find one.

As what other people call an "atheist" (I dont use this word to describe myself, but other people do) I would absolutely believe this sentence is true.

The problem is that as an atheist I do not at all believe this has anything to do with religion or the idea that a "god" actually exists.

I think all too often that anti depressants are a substitute for things humans actually need.

That is not to say there are humans who genuinely need anti depressants.

But a lot of depression can certainly be alleviated by human contact and being social, or having a peer group or a support group. And people who regularly attend mass are going to end up part of a social circle.... and I GENUINELY believe that is going to be both healthier and more effective than a pill.

The problem with a lot of "studies" showing the benefits of religion is they do not very often attempt to normalize for the social effect. They just kinda assume it must be something to do with church or religion.

So while I might doubt some of the interpretations people might have of your sentence above..... I absolutely agree with your sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

As a"theist" as you call us. I prefer to be called a follower of Jesus Christ. I'm not interested in religion which experience proved didn't work. But as a follower I've over 3 decades of evidence of His existence and power to change a life and to make Himself known to His creation.

That might not be your experience but your experience isn't the sum of all things, neither is it that of those who don't know God.

To reverse your final paragraph. Yes. That God created and maintains all we see. Being replaced by the pseudo science of evolution which removes the need of a creator which has just provided theories and not much else. But if we believe we just happened by chance, then we're not special and of no value. Look how that's played out in the world. To believe we're no better than the ant we step on instead of understanding that mankind is the pinnacle of creation in rebellion against its creator.

Ah "personal" evidence.... or in the common vernacular.... anecdote.... is seriously powerful. I have seen "god" at work myself if you wanna go down that route :) Many many times. Look up my user name and search the "keys" story if you want one of the good ones :)

There was a wonderful movie staring.... I think.... Jim Carey.... which was about something similar..... where they had the feeling the number "23" was controlling their lives. There was no real evidence the number 23 was controlling their lives of course..... but that did not stop them finding that number everywhere they looked! As the old christian adage goes "If you seek you shall find" :) It's basically doctrine endorsing confirmation bias :)

"As an atheist as you people call us" I have to say that the most wonderful and beautiful Christian I ever met in my life was a true follower of Jesus Christ. When I met her she was 16 and a child of really in your face evangelical Christians. And she decided that the most important sentence in her bible (which incidentally she read and her parents didn't) was "by your fruits you will know them". Which meant she never even told anyone she was Christian or Theist.... unless she was directly asked. I quit my job as a moderator of a website called "isgodimaginary" just because of her. I do not know what a "true" Christian means but my heart tells me she was it and to this day she remains one of the most wonderful and beautiful people I ever met.

To engage with your last paragraph though.... Evolution is not a "pseudo" science. It's the result of ACTUAL science. You do not get to pick and choose which science you like and don't like. You either engage with the methodology of science or you don't. If you don't.... then I respect that. I really do! But if you DO then I hate to break it to you but Evolution ticks all the boxes that the methodology of science demands. And if you do not believe ME on that (which you shouldn't because I am a semi intellectual moron) then you should ask people like the catholic theist Kenneth Miller for example :) Actual scientists of evolutionary biology. But.... as a MORON of science..... I can engage with you on some of the tenets of evolutionary biology if you want. Try me. Not throwaway derision I mean.... but actual engagement on the science. I know some of it.... and I know people better than me who know more too.

Evolutionary biology works very very well under the rubric of the methodologies of science. You might not like that of course.... and I can understand why...... but if you want to fault it you need to go back to the basics of science.... not the basics of evolution.... to take up that gripe.

Post edited by nozzferrahhtoo on

Why don't you rant about our former asylums and mental hospitals. People pumped full of drugs and given electric shock therapy for made up illnesses. Is is because the Catholic Church wasn't involved or are you waiting for the movie to come out.

Since religion has existed in every single human society it clearly has some kind of evolutionary benefit. It probably strengthens group bonds, gells society, explains the history and specialness of the group.

For instance without the Jewish religion the Jewish people could not exist.

What religion are you? I’ve just googled the attitude of most religions and most major religions are not hostile to evolution.

• Advertisement

I'm Christian. I'm not hostile to evolution. It's just a theory dreamt up by a man and believed by a society that wants to write God out as being the Creator. All in the vain hope that having written Him out that they won't have to give an account for their lives and how they lived them to the One who created them.

I don't have much time for religion either. It's just a formula which seeks to make God in the image of men. It just doesn't work nor change the lives of those who practice it or the society in which it operates

They were, in fact, almost entirely run by religious orders, so yes, by all means, include them.

I notice you entirely failed to engage with the actual content of my post, but hey, fair enough, it's hard to defend the indefensible, and far easier to just attack. Although there's something in your holy book about that...

"it's just a theory..."

Jebus, our education system has a lot to answer for.

Why won't you criticise the Protestant churches, they had these homes in Ireland too.

The common cold exists everywhere too. That does not mean it has an evolutionary benefit. Evolution does not work that way. Just because something exists does not mean automatically it has an evolutionary benefit. Things can be selection neutral for example in that evolution is not selecting for OR against it. There are also some things which are evolutionary byproducts too. In that they exist not because evolution finds a benefit to them.... but because they are a by product of something else evolution did select for.

All that said though..... it should also be pointed out that even if religion was being selected for as evolutionary beneficial.... that would not for one moment be evidence that any given religion is actually true. Useful nonsense is nonsense none the less.

Ah yes that old move :) When you have no evidence whatsoever that a god exists.... pretend instead that people not believing that this god exists is because of some agenda of bias on their part :) It's not that you have not got a shred of argument, evidence, data or reasoning which suggests any god actually exists..... its actually because atheists dont want to believe :)

Yeah, pull the other one.

Well the common cold has an evolutionary benefit to the virus, clearly not to animals. It evolves separately or co-evolves with the carriers

By and large if a cultural trait is universal across human societies it makes sense to believe that it has some cultural advantages, or at least it did so historically.

Exactly. So perhaps religion is of evolutionary benefit to itself too in just the same way. Just because it exists and continues to exist.... does not mean it confers any evolutionary benefit to the host. That doesn't mean it DOESNT do so either of course! But its not automatically true in any way.

But the common cold has evolved to take advantage of things that evolution has selected for in humans. We evolved other things which the common cold is able to hijack and use for it's own ends. It is quite possible that religion is similar in this regard. A memetic virus that hijacks elements and attributes of the human.

So no I do not by the idea that it's merely existing means it must have brought some kind of advantages. Maybe it did. Maybe it did not. But we can not declare it by fiat either way.

I've 40 years of personal experience that God is real.

Just because you don't have that experience doesn't negate my experience.

Sure but other people have experience that they were abducted by aliens. It does not mean they were abducted by aliens. Maybe they were but their claimed experience is not evidence. Human experience is flawed which is why we have things like science to test it and validate it. You can have all the subjective belief in the world that something is true.... but that does not change the fact you are not substantiating the claim if and when asked to do so.

So it is not about negating your experience so much as pointing out your experience is irrelevant to anyone but yourself. The idea there actually is a god entity remains unsubstantiated regardless.

• Advertisement

If a man were to rise from the dead you still wouldn't believe it.

Advertisement