Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is religion merely failed science?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Why was my original response to this post deleted?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I would recommend that you exercise caution when using the word “proof” in conjunction with science, especially with any discussion that relies on the scientific method. Science does not prove, only suggests. For a more in depth discussion of this position read Karl Popper.

Popper can also be useful when differentiating between religion and science. Popper contends that scientific positions (theories, propositions, empirical generalizations, etc) should be falsifiable. In other words, so long as most data continues to suggest support for a position it continues to exhibit utility. When the data no longer suggests significant support, the position may be revised or discarded (falsified).

Generally speaking, religions typically do not exhibit Popper’s falsifiability. Rather they exhibit repetitious affirmations, and to go against a religious position, or what may be labeled as truth, represents a breach of faith, or heresy if it publicly challenges the religion. Where a challenge of falsifiability is recommended in science, such challenges in religion are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Religion originated from the attempts of the ignorant to understand the World.

Imagine what it was like to be a person alive 2,000 years ago, 6,000 years, 10,000 years. No history, no context, no enlightenment, no literature or literacy, no science.

You woke up in the morning and your only thoughts were food, shelter, warmth and sustenance for any children and avoiding those things known to cause injury or illness, though you didn't understand the latter in any way. A fever would usually take you by age 35 or 40 and that would be that.

All that you saw; the sun, the night, the snow, the wind, growth, wildfire, infection, death - they were just facts of life, unexplained and inexplicable.

Religion grew out of the need of a basically intelligent humanity, in its infancy and ignorance, to attribute meaning to those powerful phenomena that knew no other meaning. All those prehistoric religions in different parts of the World largely followed that same structure, independently of each other. That says a lot about it.

Later, over centuries, millenia, those solutions became more complex, more intertwined, mixed with the chinese whispers of story telling - and it was only oral tradition early on - and the theories of gods and God and godheads developed. Those with some knowledge tried to influence those without and of course there was strong elements of manipulation and growth of conflict from all of it.

Religion may well be a failed science in that it was the search for answers, but so much of religion includes science that its hard to deny. Look at the teachings of Mohammed, the Kosher traditions - they are all fundamentally about health and sanitation, avoiding contamination in ingredients and cooking and sexual transmission of disease. It all boils down to rituals to stay alive and get your kids into early adulthood, to keep the show on the road. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What would happen say if organized religion was banned ? No mass, no religious ceremonies of any kind, no sacraments, no sacred / holy days, ALL places of worship closed down...?

there would of be uproar certainly , in a democracy there should be probably but in 10 / 15 years would people genuinely care ? I think people would just get on with life, their own sense of goodness, spirituality and kindness just getting them through....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A psychosis that pulled together a bunch of mainly illiterates into a force that the rulers of the day feared and had perecuted.a psychosis that pulled together tribes, languages and nations into a group that changed the world and even had the calendar set from the birth of its leader

I'm not talking Catholicism (that was a later belief system).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Yes it is failed science, but the far more insidious part is that even after the failed science is disproved, it is used as a means of social control. Follow the money, as another poster said...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

I agree with Jim here. Science is an examination of the material world only, not purporting to even attempt to answer questions about whether the non-material/spiritual exists.

Of course contemporary science does assume that all things happen exclusively by material causation - and this is an in-built assumption - but this is a relatively new belief and I do not think this belief was dominant or widespread prior to the publication of Edwin Schrodinger's "What is Life?" in 1944.

In "What is Life?" Schrodinger re-forumlated the fundamental understanding of biology so that it became inseparable from materialism. I think he was mistaken but people rarely stop to question and examine root assumptions once they're been absorbed into culture. Yet assumptions are not 'based on evidence' - they precede and help to determine what qualifies as evidence.

Funnily enough I think Schrodinger would have been living in Clontarf when he wrote this book.

Eamonn DeValera set up an international Scientific Institute in Dublin and tried to attract famous scientists to Ireland. Ludwig Von Wittgenstein lived in Galway for a time.

Another visiting scientist posited that St. Patrick was actually a composite of two historical personages which led Flann O'Brien to write in the Irish Times (quoting from memory), "So far Eamonn DeValera's new Scientific Institute is endeavouring to prove that there were two Saint Patricks and no God."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Where are you running into all these atheist Boogeymen? I don't think I've met someone like that since I was a teenager.

Atheism is just a lack of a belief in a god. Thats all. There's also nothing wrong with thinking all religion is nonsense. Why you feel people should have reverence for something they view as made up rubbish is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well no because an atheist is someone who is entirely without theism - they are a-theist, just as a person without any morals is amoral.

If you believe in any god/s at all then you aren't an atheist to any extent, you are a theist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I find it strange how people seem to think that religion developed purely as an attempt to understand physical phenomena when when most religion concerns itself with topics that would otherwise be considered philosophical.

Religion is a facet of society. Which is why any and every notable society had some form of religion. It gives a common accepted structure which helps development. And the more successful the society, the more complex the religion. In a successful society, people had time to think about things and these were people who, while some may call them ignorant, were obviously anything but. The bible is a few thousand years old, and even those ignorant people back then were able to put together a fairly complex system! The Old Testament is about 3000 years old or something.

Things like the rules against eating pork did have a practical basis as you allude to - it did not store well in those countries. But again, that was something that was developed within society. So some learned fella stuck that in as a rule into their religious code. Because that code was essentially a guide for their life. So you would expect it to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Consideration of the connotations of physical phenomena pre-exist any notion of philosophy as you describe it.

Yes, most religions do concern themselves with the philosophical, of course, but you have to look at a time prehistoric to both. From where did the threads of such religion come. Ancient humanity were concerned with the world around them, long before they were concerned about the nature of themselves. The battle for basic survival in prehistory didn't allow them the luxury of early philosophy, but what they did perceive did lay the building blocks of all spirituality, existentialism, theology and so on.

I'm literally in the middle of Maccabees atm. It's an account of Alexander the Greats conquest of Persia and his peaceful passage through Judea on his way to Egypt and how the Jews (an obscure and insignificant tribe) were granted very specific religious and political privilege's by Alexander. Flavius Josephus even makes a record of this historical interaction which biblically is noted as assisting in the Jewish liberation from Persian rule. (obviously Alexanders successors had different notions) It's definitely a bit of a story. (ironically that's only in the catholic version of the book)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No matter how far science goes you will always be able to push one step further and ask why and thus the avenue for a religious belief is never closed.

But "We don't know, therefore god did it" is not actually an answer. Postulating the existence of a god actually raises far more questions than it supposedly answers.

Also, ultimately, religion is not a scientific ideal so can neither be proven or disproven by science.

We know the world was not created in seven days, that humanity did not spring forth without precursor creatures, that we are not all descended from two humans, that woman was not created from the rib of a man, that there was no global flood, etc. etc. but when religious dogma is disproven it conveniently becomes "metaphor".

Many of the tenets of religion are borne out of burgeoning science. A ban on eating swine recognized that they are more likely to spread disease at the time and thus those who abstained were healthier.

I'd like to know the recognised benefits of not wearing clothes made from mixed fibres, or not trimming certain parts of one's beard?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Religion/spirituality = basic social blueprint* for life before modern governments existed

*Blueprint along the lines of morality, ceremonies, traditions, marriages, births, deaths, etc.

Very little to do with science, which distilled down to it's most basic form is essentially a method for measuring stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The main reason religions exist is to asuage the fear of death. Some clever con artists played to this greed for life by concocting a scam wherby they would gain power and a comfortable life, while the gulible would get continuity of life after death.

Cant pull out the text but how do we know the world wasn't created in 7 days, or there wasn't a flood or there were precursors to humans.

Most ancient tribes have a story of a flood. You can say coincidence. I can say a common ancestry and folklore.

Evolution is but a theory and has no scientific basis. Its been a case of fabricating a storyline to fit a shard of bone. Anything to say we didn't need a Creator.

How did the world and all the universe we see and don't see come into being. If there was an all powerful deity, it wouldn't be beyond him to create. He could take as long as he liked.

thats a very good summary. There are alot of things that still cannot be answered by science, if the Universe is so large why are we the only living planet

What basis have you to claim that we are?

Our radio waves have now travelled over a 100 million light years into outer space since the start of the technological age yet no intelligent life has answered back within that immense distance. Also we have not detected any radio waves from other intelligent planets

I'd love to know how it is you think that radio waves can travel over 100 million light years in the space of less than 150 years.

This is of course the "Fermi paradox" "Where is everybody" statistically there should be many more intelligent planets and we should have heard from them as some should be far more advanced than us, yet silence.

"We should have heard of them" - why? We've only been listening for a blink of an eye. If some civilisation 10,000 light years away sent us a message 10,150 years ago we wouldn't have heard it. If they're a bit further away and it reaches here in 500 or 1000 years, will there be anyone still here to hear it? One of the main variables in determining whether such communication could be possible is how long can a supposedly intelligent civilisation last without either destroying itself or being destroyed by something else...

tl,dr: our own galaxy, never mind the universe which contains billions of galaxies, is vast beyond our comprehension and we are extremely conceited to think it revolves around us, as religions do. The universe has been around for billions of years, humanity only for a tiny period in comparison.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Evolution is but a theory and has no scientific basis.

Utter nonsense.

How did the world and all the universe we see and don't see come into being. If there was an all powerful deity, it wouldn't be beyond him to create. He could take as long as he liked.

Like I said, postulating a god isn't an answer, it just creates more questions.

Who or what created this god? If this god didn't need a creator, why does the universe need one? What was this god doing before they created the universe, and why didn't they do it sooner or later or just not bother? How many other universes did they create? Did they not work out or something and our one is just the latest trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭techman1

@Hotblack Desiato

"What basis have you to claim that we are?"

the scientific principle obviously, until we find absolute evidence that there is life out there we must assume that there is not.

"I'd love to know how it is you think that radio waves can travel over 100 million light years in the space of less than 150 years."

a light year is the distance that light travels in one year, radio waves like light waves are electromagnetic radiation and travel at the speed of light. Actually you are partly correct they have travelled nearly 150 light years at this stage

""We should have heard of them" - why? We've only been listening for a blink of an eye. If some civilisation 10,000 light years away sent us a message 10,150 years ago we wouldn't have heard it. If they're a bit further away and it reaches here in 500 or 1000 years, will there be anyone still here to hear it? One of the main variables in determining whether such communication could be possible is how long can a supposedly intelligent civilisation last without either destroying itself or being destroyed by something else...

This is the "Fermi paradox" though by the laws of statistics and probability there should be many more intelligent civilisations out there and even if they did wipe themselves out eventually surely they would still be thousands of years of technology and radio transmissions that would be wafting through space and this should have re occured many times in the universe. Yet nothing silence "Where is Everybody" as Fermi asked. Therefore there should be constant radio traffic from all those civilisations whether existing or not the same as we still receive light from stars that have long ago burnt out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don’t think they are good answers.

religion is Inherently unscientific and thus you can never disprove it with science. So it becomes are a rather pointless effort to try.

how do we know the world wasn’t made in 7 days!? I mean, I don’t for a microsecond think it was but an omnipotent being could do that then just make it so that it looks to us like it was made billions of years ago. Science and religion these days just live on completely different planes of existence.

• Advertisement

Well if we knew the answer all those questions, we'd be God 🤣.

But in all honesty HD, discussing anything with you that you disagree with is a monumental waste of energy. You're against everything you don't believe in and are about as open to different opinions as a closed book.

For the record, why is evolution called a theory if its more than that. Its just a theory written by a man who wanted to refute any idea of a creator and believed by those who hold the same view. Its just a theory and unprovable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just my 2 cents, but Religion, imo, was created to control the masses and put natural occurences that couldn't be explained at the time as the work of a God, so people would worship (read: donate). It has no place in a modern society, and I would be all for removing it from protected status, as it's a personal decision that shouldn't interfere with anyone else in any way, shape or form, ie: no time off for religious purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Good point and good post.

I should use the word evidence and to go further science mostly has theories which can of course be proven wrong should further evidence to the contrary be found.

Religion tends to have dogma which is taken to be correct. In science I am only familiar with the central dogma of molecular biology which I won't say is unique (I could be wrong) but it is certainly rare in it's use though I don't believe it was intended to be dogmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

So you want to cancel time off for Christmas and St. Patrick's day and Easter Monday, it's about the only time most people not in school get off for religious reasons.

Even then there is no requirement to actually believe in any religion nevermind Christianity or even the pagan gods which might have originally been worshipped around these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He forgot 3 and 4. To control and keep women down, and to make money from the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jeez, it's 2021. Evolution is a scientifically proven theory.

Oooh, the irony. I'm not the one using religious dogma as a thought-terminating cliche. That's not discussion.

I'm not seeing any openness whatsoever from you to anything which contradicts biblical literalism. You dismiss science using logically incorrect fallacies.

You need to educate yourself as to the scientific meaning, as opposed to the everyday meaning, of the word "theory". Gravity is a theory, but you still fall down.

The theory of evolution is a fact, and an observed fact. Incidentally it is accepted as factual by many churches, including the Roman Catholic Church and they believe in the same bible you do.

Its just a theory written by a man who wanted to refute any idea of a creator

You'd need to provide some evidence if you expect anyone to entertain such an assertion - oh and explain why the masses of evidence discovered since should be ignored. But this isn't supposed to be a creationism thread. Listening to creationists trot out their failed arguments and downright disingenuousness again and again is just so boring.

the scientific principle obviously, until we find absolute evidence that there is life out there we must assume that there is not.

But we know there are many planets with similar conditions to the early Earth - if life began here, why not there? We cannot dismiss that possibility (some would say, probability).

a light year is the distance that light travels in one year, radio waves like light waves are electromagnetic radiation and travel at the speed of light. Actually you are partly correct they have travelled nearly 150 light years at this stage

Yeah, it's partly correct that 100,000,000 does not equal 150 🤣

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

• Advertisement

Evolution by its very nature is said to occur over long periods of time. No one has lived long enough to observe it. So it's not observed fact. It's 2 points in time and a deduction made which tries to fill in the gaps.

It's no different to eohippus. They made assumptions that it was the progenitor of modern day horses but have never found an intact one to make such a claim.

Advertisement