Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭wally79

Those fixes only help a portion of the user base. I think Niamh mentioned previously that the majority are mobile users so any fixes should probably be prioritised there.

I use the mobile site almost exclusively and it isn’t too bad for my usage style. It needs an improved search and the same ability to view thanks but for me it’s usable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Basically, Vanilla sucks and there's only so much they can do to tidy around the rough edges.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Some threads I've read are still showing as unread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are they by any chance ones that were started pre-migration, that you've only clicked into fairly recently?

That's a bug that a few of us have noticed and reported previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nothing stopping somebody doing something similar for the mobile version. waiting for boards.ie to do something is optimistic at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

It's looking that way. Absolutely no change now for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I figure they've either blown way past the budget for the year trying to make the site even semi-usable again, or they're out of support credits (or whatever cover they have) with Vanilla.

Do Boards publish accounts? I reckon this year's will be interesting reading. I wonder will Odhran be doing a cost-benefit analysis between the last 4/5 months (downtime, lost revenue and I assume lost advertisers and business customers) and what they were paying to maintain the "old" site.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

every company publishes accounts. you just need to be willing to pay to get a copy of them.

Post edited by ohnonotgmail on

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

The issue with threads remaining bold after being read has been looked into and a fix is being looked at. I'm afraid I don't know when the fix will be live though yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As I said on another thread, the idea that a site which had been losing traffic, no plan for growth and no successful business innovation since adverts is going to invest tens, if not hundreds of thousands in custom code is laughable. The advanced vbulletin functionality is gone, its and it's not coming back. The site is what it is now, minor tweaks and bug fixes aside.

At this point it's get used to it or move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Loads of other fora have managed it just fine-for very modest amounts of moolah-for a place this size, the hosting is the biggest outlay surely.

There's so much wrong with this platform-every update is in the hands of the people in Canada, and should they themselves update, all the "fixes" will then have to be made compatible.

They supposedly went down this road because vB was end of life, and they had customised it so much, it was untenable, and it was costing too much. So they have moved to yet another platform they have no control over, and have, or intend to introduce a whole raft of new customisations, all of which will cost money, at least once the goodwill from Vanilla runs out, and all to try and get back to where they were in the first place.

They have ostracised their users, mods and admins. Their CEO has done a legger.

Whoever owns this place (who? please say it's not Ginnitty) needs to make a call now. Explore some form of co-operative/collaborative effort, and look at a whole new platform along the lines of PROC, once they can extricate themselves from whatever contractual obligation they have agreed with Vanilla.

Involve the users and the volunteers-and move on.

Why don’t the main posters, that understand the problem and what the site should be, set up a new site ?

Another site was set up, and other people talked about a new one.

Personally, I don't have much interest. What makes boards.ie is not the technology but the long-term users and mods etc. Vanilla might have cut its legs off, but it still has more going for it than a shiny new site with no userbase.

What we want is to actually contribute to the site. To be the developers and have it on our githubs. boards.ie is squandering that with this setup that means they don't have the codebase.

Hosting I'm sure is a big ongoing expense but that is directly proportional to traffic, which and revenue is too. Custom code is a large capital expense that must be paid for whether it's 1 user or a million. When you make capital investment, you have to have a plan for growth, which we don't have here. What's the draw, the USP, over other online time sinks?

Why would anyone put money into this site to bring back old features which didn't drive growth before the migration?

As for getting a collaboration going with the community, to be honest I don't see that working. What's the motivation to create custom code for free for a for-profit site? Where would the oversight be? The site ownership structure would need to change to a charity/trust tbh.

There is more motivation to code and put that on github or a CV, than there is to mod, and people still do it. Plus it's nice when people use what you make, like the skins I made before Vanilla.

Anyways, it'll never happen.

Indeed it won't happen. The major difference with moderation is that anyone can do it - it's not a particular skill set, and people mostly mod topics that they have a personal interest in - though I do wonder why they work for free, but they must get something out of it. In order to get code, you'd have to appeal to a very small subset of users to get them on board to voluntarily do in their spare time to do what they get paid for. You might do it for a charity, or a sports club, but a for profit company that made a balls of a migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Afaik all mods worked for nothing, and always have done, even when the site became a business, am I misinformed? So no reason to assume folks wouldn't work for nothing to create code for a site they liked. ( Lots of people have already donated their time since the downgrade haven't they?)

Probably not this one, now, though, let's be honest! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Some of us are sticking around to help in whatever way we can despite all the moaners and trolls.

I suppose maybe. A lot of the issues, particularly the moderation ones would require work to the backend and I simply do not see a) the current workings being made available and b) implementation of code of an unknown source being implemented by the site.

Have we been told what the priority list is and what is currently being progressed? I would bet it's really all UI and relatively easy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How long has this turd been released now, 4 or 5 months?

Its still only barely better than the day one release..whats going on. Its a total **** of a site..do **** something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think Vanilla is primarily aimed at companies who want a (basic) forum for customer questions etc. rather than companies which are forum-only sites.

Did Boards even look at other platforms such as Xenforo or Discourse?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This attitude really annoys me - what do you expect to get from it? Maybe a PM attaboy from a Mod or something? Or is it just to rile people up?

The site is a shadow of its former self and 4/5 months later shows no real sign of getting back to even that previous level of functionality. Communication and feedback is almost non-existent (with the exception of Niamh who's been left to put out what updates she can - and I get the feeling she's often not looped in either on things behind the scenes) and Odhran seems to have vanished. Now admittedly poor engagement with the users has been a long-standing issue with this site, but it's especially obvious (and painful!) since this migration.

Recognising these things, asking for information and a direction, or expressing deep unhappiness and regret over how things have turned out is not trolling or moaning - many users have put hundreds of hours and several years into contributing to this site - sharing their insight, knowledge, help, modding efforts, and just random banter... all of which Boards.ie the company has been using as a selling point to commercial customers and advertisers (and presumably continues to do so). It's not too much to ask that those same users be given clear statements as to intent and the future of the site.

It's attitudes like yours that are a bigger problem. Apparently content to just take what you're given and put up with it. There's a lot of people like that in this country though. It explains why things are still broken in that sense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thats exactly how it is, only had to look at some of the sites using it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im not sure why you reference attitude when I am stating facts. You cant deny that the new site has attracted trolls and in many of the feedback threads I see the moaning and complaining from the same people yet most of them dont have anything positive to offer.

However I agree with most of what you say as I have made my feelings known both here and in private. Vanilla is a disaster as far as I'm concerned and while some improvements have been carried out there is still a serious amount of sh1t to be sorted out. Im one of the few mods speaking out publicly on this matter but (and probably against my better judgement) Im sticking it out for the time being. But if things dont improve in the near future then I'll be gone from here.

You could in theory layer a modding tools suite on top of Vanilla with a separate database.

If improved modding tools just aren't going to arrive, then it should be considered, even if way way less than ideal and hacky because vanilla could make changes and temporarily break it.

Vanilla's reporting system would be done away with and everything put on the new one. Every user would load a file that checks user and post IDs and shows if a post has been sanctioned etc. You could a bunch of functionality this way.

Anyways, that is absolutely not going to happen.

A more realistic option would be some JS to help the mods, like say organising the reported posts. All the mods talk about how it isn't easy to find what's relevant to them.

That is absolutely not going to happen either. Nothing is going to happen.

Fact is the site feels like an old half-baked or glitchy mess of a game. And these old games only get played in 2021 with mods made by the community. If you want to play Morrrowind today, you use the mods, because it's stuff made by the community that is actually of high quality because they care about it while the company doesn't anymore.

I suspect Vanilla has fulfilled their part of the deal and doesn't see why it should have to integrate a complex system of moderation into a finished product. They likely don't even want to do it for money because it isn't what other customers require and it adds a lot of room for problems. I've had to say no to requests from a business using my software because it was simply too specific and not relevant to other schools, and it was never talked about before signing a deal. My rule on custom development is that I'll do it for free if I think it will be useful for everyone, otherwise I don't do it.

That's a very clear outline of the kind way things could be implemented. I wonder if the powers that be have put similar thought and effort into how things could be fixed.

Of the things that you identify that could be fixed, I suspect the categorisation of reported posts is most likely, assuming that the thread they are located on is also identified in some way.

Have we any idea of the features current being worked on? I get the feeling that users and moderators are being strung along here, and that there will be no significant features added to the current site.

So any update on how to selectively quote a post please.. Have been searching this thread last half hour, and am still no closer in understanding how it's done.. I've seen plenty of quoted posts with just parts of them selected, so it must be possible.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Copy the part of the post you want to respond to, click Quote, then paste into the Comment box, highlight it there and format to a quote.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Thanks, but how do I copy the part of the post? I've tried clicking and dragging on part of your post, and then clicked quote, but can't find a paste option when I right click - paste is not in bold, so that option is not available.. maybe there's another way of copying and pasting that I am unaware of 😕

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement