Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The misery train rumbles into town Late late show 19/11/2021

Options
  • 18-11-2021 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

As predicted, Vicky Phelan will be on.

Nothing against the lady, she has been through so much and she is to he admired for all she has done for women's health.

But...... seriously, is there no line they won't cross?? Let the lady have whatever time she has left with her family in peace and quiet.

Why drag her on national television on a light 'entertainment 'show to ask her how she feels about dying and how her family feel about her dying and I'm sure the grim reaper himself will come up with a few more inappropriate questions too.

Time to stop this. How do we stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't I'm afraid. The train is hurtling, and the brakes are gone.

RTE thrive in misery. I have no doubt at all now it is a conscious decision by programme makers at the company to focus on misery. You can call it human interest stories if you want, but it's what they want to fill their shows.

The latest surge in covid has really helped them out too. So many shows on tv and radio are back to wall-to-wall covid again, and they can push the fear enough.

Something like the LLS should be a break from the misery, not ramping it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This Friday features a life long complainer, and a lady who has every right to, but doesn't.

"Vicky Phelan and Christy Moore will be among Ryan Tubridy's guests on Friday night's Late Late Show on RTÉ One."

Vicky was always going to feature on the show at some stage, one can but hope that she gets an opportunity to deal with the issues which matter to her (as in, awareness and treatment) instead of having to having to indulge Hobbidy's inevitable misery fetish around the ultimate outcome which awaits this poor woman.

One can but hope she gets the respect she deserves.

"Vicky Phelan will join the host to talk about her decision to stop her chemotherapy treatment and look ahead to Christmas at home with her family."

Humblebrag for Hobbidy in advance of next weeks' events. About time he mentioned the Toy Show. 'Nuff said.

"Following the success of last year's Toy Show Appeal, which raised €6.6m for Irish charities, the Late Late will catch up with some of the over 600,000 people whose lives have been changed thanks to the generosity of Toy Show viewers."

Christopher Andrew, Ireland's longest serving curmudgeon will double job as interviewee and music act this week. I'll enjoy the latter, but probably tune out for the former.

There's a musical tribute to Farrokh Bulsara (aka. Freddie Mercury) as well. Not sure if it includes fat bottomed girls though.

"On the day of the release of his new album Flying into Mystery, Christy Moore will drop by to chat about winning his Life Time Achievement Award at the RTÉ Radio 1 Folk Awards earlier this week and will also play an exclusive selection of songs from the new record."

Tough gig for Mario, late of Glenroe, after all that, but he's on anyway. Must be a Gift Grub tape/CD/download/thingamajig out for the Christmas.

"Comedian and impressionist Mario Rosenstock will bring a wide array of hilarious characters to the studio this Friday night."

Finally, the NAT CARK call this week will give away an "incredible" (RTE's quotation, not mine) prize.

"And as audience applications close at midnight on Friday night for the Toy Show studio audience, there are two golden tickets to give away as part of an "incredible" viewer prize."

I hope this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When Mario is on, Tubs goes into fake laughter overload.

Watch out to see if he slaps the table in his excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

Christy Moore could either be a misery/moan slot or a comedy slot. Rosenstock hasnt been funny since the early 2000s. Any way I couldnt give a toss I wont be wasting my time tuning in.

Post edited by neris on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Now that Christy Dignam (of one-hit .... you know) and Eamon Dunphy are out of the way, it must soon be Sinead O'Connor's turn next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Gordon Ramsey not on for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Has Dermot Bannon made an appearance this year yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Christy a pre-record based on what Tubs said on the radio during the week. Becoming more of a trend with this program, covid or no covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I'm suprised at the lack of Bannon and Francis Brennan but they could keep keeping them in reserves for the last few weeks of the season when they put in even less effort than usual. Also suprised, to the late lates credit, that there hasn't been any 'long covid' tales of woe / talking to the families of those who died / Luke O'Neil so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Rolling out the Vicky Phelan misery section for all the stun huns on their wine o'clock night ahead of the expected tears for the hand-picked child guests' sob stories next week.

Never-ending cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

They'll eventually do an ultimate Late Late where they invite back Ramsay along with various other classic guests such as Rhys Ifans, Jonah Hill & Channing Tatum, Juliette Binoche, Cuba Gooding Jr. It'll be mad entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect Ramsey never want to see Tubs after what i seem before...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Just what's needed for a light hearted evening of light entertainment, a dying woman to tell us something she has said a thousand times before, dying or not I'm sick to the back teeth of rte trotting her out like a show pony every few weeks be it on news, radio or this god awful chat show, best of luck Vicki and having lost my sister to cancer at the age of 46 I am saddened you were let down like this but take what precious time you have left and spend it with your kids and family

• Registered Users Posts: 85,269 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel for Vicky and her kids, hope they have a great Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They could send them to Florida to show viewers what the prize will be...remember they did that before with someone or other, CO2 emissions to beat the band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's the rte cancer special late late show

Suit jacket looking a bit snug there, Ryan.

Oh, and evening all. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Christy has a climate change song isn't it?

Mario Rosenstock for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The worst impression we will see on this segment is Ryan pretending to laugh

Nothing worse than a performer who gestures to the audience for more applause.

Hopefully Mario Rosenstock scalps the overgrown weed. Cue *cough* abundance of fake laughter *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

"did you think you were coming to the Toy Show?" , he asks your one as he introduces Vicky Phelan.

Evil bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Mario is a busted flush as dunphy would Say

Advertisement