Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowboy Bebop [Netflix]

• 19-04-2015 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Just wondering if the general population here has seen Cowboy Bebop, and if they have, what they thought of it? (And if they haven't seen it, then why not?)

Mods, please keep it here if possible - I think it would be more interesting to hear the opinions of the general public here, rather than the thoughts of any specific subforum.

Cowboy Bebop [Netflix] 35 votes

Have seen all of it, think it was amazing
    40% 14 votes
    Have seen some of it, think it was amazing
    8% 3 votes
    Have seen all of it, think it was meh
    8% 3 votes
    Have seen some of it, think it was meh
    2% 1 vote
    Have seen all of it, think it was crap
    2% 1 vote
    Have seen some of it, think it was crap
    8% 3 votes
    Have heard of it, but haven't seen it (but may do in the future)
    2% 1 vote
    Have heard of it, but haven't seen it (don't like anime so won't watch it)
    11% 4 votes
    Haven't heard of it, but may watch in the future
    14% 5 votes
    Haven't heard of it, don't like anime so won't watch it
    0% 0 votes
    Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's not as good as Cowboy Rocksteady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This looks more like a survey/research project to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NotPayin4Water

Kirby wrote: »

It kind of is. I originally posted it into After Hours, but the moderators there did not agree with it.

I'm mostly just curious how widely known/popular it is among the people here. I know I almost skipped watching on it because I was prejudiced against anime, but I certainly am glad I ended up watching it! And I only ended up watching it because someone linked me to the soundtrack and I absolutely loved it.

Even though I didn't quite "get" it before maybe the 5th episode, I remember that when the chase scene at the end of the first episode came on, with that soundtrack, "Road to the West", I knew that something very special was going on here!

My gut feeling would be that a lot of people would skip it because of the preconceived notions they may have about the genre, but I may be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NotPayin4Water

Kirby wrote: »

It kind of is. I originally posted it into After Hours, but the moderators there did not agree with it. Unfortunately, looks like this forum doesn't get as much traffic.

I'm mostly just curious how widely known/popular it is among the people here. I know I almost skipped watching on it because I was prejudiced against anime, but I certainly am glad I ended up watching it! And I only ended up watching it because someone linked me to the soundtrack and I absolutely loved it.

Even though I didn't quite "get" it before maybe the 5th episode, I remember that when the chase scene at the end of the first episode came on, with that soundtrack, "Road to the West", I knew that something very special was going on here!

My gut feeling would be that a lot of people would skip it because of the preconceived notions they may have about the genre, but I may be completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I like him as an actor and I know he looks young for his age, but I'd have thought he was a little too old to play Spike. Maybe not? Prove me wrong Netflix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking for a thread yesterday but still haven't figured this new search out.

Hope it's good. Look forward to a trailer to see everyone in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Not sure what the story with Ed is. She's in this going by that opening but they're holding off on showing her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Since the cast reveal picture, something didn't feel like they've gotten it right.. these opening credits haven't improved the feeling. Yeah Ed being missing too.. it feels a bit iffy.

Still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Will have to see how

they carry the series to the finale and if it lands right

Can't say they'll win any awards for acting, but it looks fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

YouTube embed: never watched the anime, nor know if that style will persist into the series itself. Couldn't decide if it'd grate after a while or not.

Again the trailer feeling different to my impression of the anime (one of the ones I watch Dubbed).

Trailer feels more comedic or something.

I thought maybe was being thrown by

how the anime ends

but I rewatched the first two episodes of the anime a week or two back.. and they also felt .. different.

I guess the only solution is to rewatch even more of the anime! 🙂 It's ok.. it's ok, I can take it! 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've never watched the anime, so can't comment on how it compares, but that looks like a bit of Sci-Fi fun. I'm always here for a space-based adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously, and plays up the "working siffs" motifs of half-broken spaceships.

That looks pretty good. Looking forward to it

I'm starting to come around to it being a bit different and more comedic of a show.

Think that'll help keep my expectations realistic and open to surprise.

This dropped today BTW, for those curious. Ther reviews so far have been mixed - and obviously focused on how it stacks against the original anime.

• Advertisement

Haven't tried it yet but I've really set expectations low. Something like a ha-ha lol-lol show with action 🙂

To be fair it does look like they tried to do something of their own so I'm vaguely optimistic it'll have it's own vibe to it. Just not the anime one.

Caught the first episode and enjoyed it as a taster. Not sure how much value my opinion holds - given I never saw the original - but I liked the bold mix of jazz, oddball humour, and its universe of mixed technology; 50s Cadillacs and spaceships. Definitely playing things with a wink in its eye, tonally too; seems like it knows its world is fun.

My only complaint would be the fight scenes felt very slow, telegraphed. The choreography was great, with some really inventive moments of hand to hand, but the speed was a hair short.

This feels like a show that may struggle to get renewed: haven't seen much promotion outside of Netflix itself; while if it fails to win over the anime fans, it might sink through bad word of mouth.

I've seen the anime and have watched the first episode. I liked it. Looks good. But I think it's a bit too clean in a way. Though that likely has more to do with being HD.

Just finished the season and liked it overall. I do hope it gets a second season.

Hope it concentrates more on the "bounty of the week" in the next season as prefer them over

the ongoing Syndicate/Vicious/Julia story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wasn't sure when I watched the first one, then gave it a few days and watched the second and third. Really enjoying it now, its an oddball, manic at times and even though I am not a Jazz fan the music goes well with the show. Hope it gets a second series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I watched the entire season and had dipped in/out of the anime when it was toonami many moons ago. Have to say I enjoyed it ! Like the overall style and the vibe had a real anime feel to it.

Watched episode 3 and enjoying this. My only complaint might be Vicious, the main bad guy. Aside from looking like Lucius Malfoys less interesting brother, he has just come across petulant and bereft of charisma. Like I couldn't believe he might rise that far in a criminal organisation.

Otherwise though, a fun comedy tinged Sci-Fi adventure. Not enough shows these days remember to have some fun with their stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Never thought I'd see John Cho as an action hero but it works.

I'd happily watch a second season. Liked the style the plot and the music was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Was prepared to be disappointed by this, but instead was very pleasantly surprised they pulled it off so well. Hope it continues..

Nate

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it has been cancelled

It was a good show and I think if it wasn't an adaptation it would've done better. But there was a lot against it before it was even released.

I'd say Netflix might rethink plans for more anime adaptations. I know they have One Piece and Avatar(yes, I know it's not anime) in the works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Gutted tbh it was quirky enough to keep my interest and would easily have watched a second season ah well

Damn, that's a shame but nor is it a surprise. It was probably of little interest to the anime fanboys, while the heavy quirkiness probably put off the casual viewer. And if Netflix decide not to push something it'll just drift into the abyss of the algorithm. It was always a hard sell and didn't look cheap; these expensive swings rarely work out for Netflix.

Now to decide whether to bother finishing the series lol. Nothing more apathy inducing than watching something you know may not end properly.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I gather people that were into the anime thought this show was a monstrosity, doesnt seem like a successful recipe for a show

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I liked the anime but was willing to watch it as its own thing. But there are many that couldn't separate them. Even today I saw comments about how they shouldn't have changed Faye's look.

Even when recommending to others, it wasn't getting the same traction as something like Hellbound which came out the same day, at which point it goes on the list to be watched at some point.

That's something Netflix need to be wary of as well. They release multiple series on the same day and expect a lot of people to watch more than one series within a certain timeframe?

I still intend to give it a watch.

The reactions I've seen seem to imply it doing it's own kinda ha-ha lol-lol take on Cowboy Bebop.

No harm in seeing what they thought they could do with the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I gave the first episode a go and it felt more style over substance to me.

For Netflix to cancel so quickly after it dropped it must have really bombed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Glebee

I got to episode 8, just to the point where its showing some back story and i just lost interest. Watched the final two episodes and it did recover but it was just ok. Probably would have watched a second season but I felt there was just something missing with it..

Alright.. *rips off bandaid* .. must remember it's gonna be haha lol-lol.. haha lol-lol.. _MUST REMEMBER_

1: Oh boy .. it's totally haha lol-lol 😂 Well, at least they've changed up the story and made it less gritty and put some polished looking shine on everything to go with it.

Wasn't expecting to see

Faye and Vicious so soon.. oh dear Vicious.. what a caricature! 😁

Think the first episode really helps set the haha lol-lol reminder too. Definitely skipped over the shock of

how the guy and girl died at the end.

2: I wonder.. wonder like.. if they were trying to skirt an age rating by including bloond and fighting but using.. "screw off". I dunno.

Anyway, that was funny eh.. and now it's got a bunch more

Vicious and Julia earlier on in the show... and Spike is Fearless now. Okie doke.

It's wierd having a backstory going on like that. Seems to make these longer episodes feel shorter than the shorter Anime episodes.

One thing that I've kinda noticed is they don't get as close to the characters and so they feel a bit off. The big shot commercial felt like it was showing too much of the surrounds for example. Feels a bit nit-picky but I wonder might the framing of characters be a weakness here.

Man, I was enjoying this and had got halfway through n all, but nothing hard collapses my interest than cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

There is no point whatsoever to making thsi show - it has been done and the story told.

And John Cho is not a leading mean.

Netflix could have used the the money and the creative talent to create an original outer space adventure show.

That said there is no way Netflix gave this a chance. It was released in the time of the year arhat a large section of the world’s population is busy plus there was the shadow of new lockdowns so people were taking advantage of the time they had.

A release over Christmas or a couple of months for it to find its audience would be sensible. However Netflix executives seem to suffer from some form of OCD - they just cancel things and can’t seem to help themselves.

I half expect it to be revealed in a few years that Netflix executives somehow make money from making shows and cancelling them.

After episode two, I checked out the writers/directors for all the episodes. Was kinda hoping there'd be something to look forward to...

but..

well it looks like a bunch of them are very .. fresh? .. and some also are listed as producers of the show

still gonna give it a shot but alarm bells going off that maybe the Producers are fans of the Anime and thought they could wing it doing the Directing/Writing themselves and/or giving their mates (who may also be fans of the anime) the jobs

3: Doggos! 🙂

Some scenes in this one had me wondering if they got stuck for budget for set design and practical effects.

Cool to see Ein all the same

4: This show really does a decent job as a bunch of gags and laughs 🙂

I got to wondering about the actress playing Julia.. she looked familiar.

At first I thought the actress who played the doctor in Travellers but it turns out she's the actress who played Dreamer in The Gifted:

5: Ok.. ok I can see the benefit of the jokes.. that was a bit of a slog. Bring on the jokes back.

I think if it wasn't for the Chalmers / Jet scene where they talked about his luck, I only had Ein playing dead as a memorable scene.

6: That kinda felt like a solid episode. It was kinda well wrapped into itself and so could stand on it's own. The humour being back helped too! 🙂

I really liked that bit of the ever-stronger-embossing of the virtual world as each loop passed. They sold Spikes acceptance of it decently too.. once he'd given over on being looped the first one or two times.

Oh and .. Ed sign! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

She looks nothing like the doctor on Travellers but if you had showed me that image I would have said “I think she was the doctor on Travelers”

:)

7: D'awe that episode was funny and had heart!

For a heap of the last few minutes I was like..

FAYE'S SHIP! FAYE'S SHIP! FAYE'S SHIP! FAYE'S SHIP! FAYE'S SHIP!

They did an alright take on the tape too. Kido Faye was done nice.

8: Heh! I noticed John Noble's voice.. paused it and checked imdb.. then 10 seconds later they showed his face! 😁

Overall.. bit of a weak episode given it feels like it should be setting up to land the show at this point.

Again, maybe looking like they were stretched for budget and were making choices for that all over the place.. combined with the producer-director/writers feel to it.

Just checked the wiki but no amount for budget listed just notes about reviewers noticing the budget issues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop_(2021_TV_series)

"a knockoff Firefly, made for a fraction of the budget"

9: Well.. that wasn't an episode that went well with eating food for me 😲

Back to the less-humour but also budget choices.

One thing though is that it looks like whoever did the space scenes / computer special effects, really put a lot into it.

Some of the support cast really trying their heart out too. That bartender/MC from the bar really looked to be trying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement