Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Bebop [Netflix]

• 19-04-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Just wondering if the general population here has seen Cowboy Bebop, and if they have, what they thought of it? (And if they haven't seen it, then why not?)

Mods, please keep it here if possible - I think it would be more interesting to hear the opinions of the general public here, rather than the thoughts of any specific subforum.

Cowboy Bebop [Netflix] 35 votes

Have seen all of it, think it was amazing
    40% 14 votes
    Have seen some of it, think it was amazing
    8% 3 votes
    Have seen all of it, think it was meh
    8% 3 votes
    Have seen some of it, think it was meh
    2% 1 vote
    Have seen all of it, think it was crap
    2% 1 vote
    Have seen some of it, think it was crap
    8% 3 votes
    Have heard of it, but haven't seen it (but may do in the future)
    2% 1 vote
    Have heard of it, but haven't seen it (don't like anime so won't watch it)
    11% 4 votes
    Haven't heard of it, but may watch in the future
    14% 5 votes
    Haven't heard of it, don't like anime so won't watch it
    0% 0 votes
    Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's not as good as Cowboy Rocksteady.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This looks more like a survey/research project to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NotPayin4Water

Kirby wrote: »

It kind of is. I originally posted it into After Hours, but the moderators there did not agree with it.

I'm mostly just curious how widely known/popular it is among the people here. I know I almost skipped watching on it because I was prejudiced against anime, but I certainly am glad I ended up watching it! And I only ended up watching it because someone linked me to the soundtrack and I absolutely loved it.

Even though I didn't quite "get" it before maybe the 5th episode, I remember that when the chase scene at the end of the first episode came on, with that soundtrack, "Road to the West", I knew that something very special was going on here!

My gut feeling would be that a lot of people would skip it because of the preconceived notions they may have about the genre, but I may be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NotPayin4Water

Kirby wrote: »

It kind of is. I originally posted it into After Hours, but the moderators there did not agree with it. Unfortunately, looks like this forum doesn't get as much traffic.

I'm mostly just curious how widely known/popular it is among the people here. I know I almost skipped watching on it because I was prejudiced against anime, but I certainly am glad I ended up watching it! And I only ended up watching it because someone linked me to the soundtrack and I absolutely loved it.

Even though I didn't quite "get" it before maybe the 5th episode, I remember that when the chase scene at the end of the first episode came on, with that soundtrack, "Road to the West", I knew that something very special was going on here!

My gut feeling would be that a lot of people would skip it because of the preconceived notions they may have about the genre, but I may be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I like him as an actor and I know he looks young for his age, but I'd have thought he was a little too old to play Spike. Maybe not? Prove me wrong Netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking for a thread yesterday but still haven't figured this new search out.

Hope it's good. Look forward to a trailer to see everyone in action

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Not sure what the story with Ed is. She's in this going by that opening but they're holding off on showing her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Since the cast reveal picture, something didn't feel like they've gotten it right.. these opening credits haven't improved the feeling. Yeah Ed being missing too.. it feels a bit iffy.

Still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Will have to see how

they carry the series to the finale and if it lands right

Can't say they'll win any awards for acting, but it looks fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

YouTube embed: never watched the anime, nor know if that style will persist into the series itself. Couldn't decide if it'd grate after a while or not.

Again the trailer feeling different to my impression of the anime (one of the ones I watch Dubbed).

Trailer feels more comedic or something.

I thought maybe was being thrown by

how the anime ends

but I rewatched the first two episodes of the anime a week or two back.. and they also felt .. different.

I guess the only solution is to rewatch even more of the anime! 🙂 It's ok.. it's ok, I can take it! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've never watched the anime, so can't comment on how it compares, but that looks like a bit of Sci-Fi fun. I'm always here for a space-based adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously, and plays up the "working siffs" motifs of half-broken spaceships.

That looks pretty good. Looking forward to it

I'm starting to come around to it being a bit different and more comedic of a show.

Think that'll help keep my expectations realistic and open to surprise.

This dropped today BTW, for those curious. Ther reviews so far have been mixed - and obviously focused on how it stacks against the original anime.

• Advertisement

Haven't tried it yet but I've really set expectations low. Something like a ha-ha lol-lol show with action 🙂

To be fair it does look like they tried to do something of their own so I'm vaguely optimistic it'll have it's own vibe to it. Just not the anime one.

Caught the first episode and enjoyed it as a taster. Not sure how much value my opinion holds - given I never saw the original - but I liked the bold mix of jazz, oddball humour, and its universe of mixed technology; 50s Cadillacs and spaceships. Definitely playing things with a wink in its eye, tonally too; seems like it knows its world is fun.

My only complaint would be the fight scenes felt very slow, telegraphed. The choreography was great, with some really inventive moments of hand to hand, but the speed was a hair short.

This feels like a show that may struggle to get renewed: haven't seen much promotion outside of Netflix itself; while if it fails to win over the anime fans, it might sink through bad word of mouth.

I've seen the anime and have watched the first episode. I liked it. Looks good. But I think it's a bit too clean in a way. Though that likely has more to do with being HD.

Just finished the season and liked it overall. I do hope it gets a second season.

Hope it concentrates more on the "bounty of the week" in the next season as prefer them over

the ongoing Syndicate/Vicious/Julia story

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wasn't sure when I watched the first one, then gave it a few days and watched the second and third. Really enjoying it now, its an oddball, manic at times and even though I am not a Jazz fan the music goes well with the show. Hope it gets a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭ondafly

I watched the entire season and had dipped in/out of the anime when it was toonami many moons ago. Have to say I enjoyed it ! Like the overall style and the vibe had a real anime feel to it.

Watched episode 3 and enjoying this. My only complaint might be Vicious, the main bad guy. Aside from looking like Lucius Malfoys less interesting brother, he has just come across petulant and bereft of charisma. Like I couldn't believe he might rise that far in a criminal organisation.

Otherwise though, a fun comedy tinged Sci-Fi adventure. Not enough shows these days remember to have some fun with their stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭sioda

Never thought I'd see John Cho as an action hero but it works.

I'd happily watch a second season. Liked the style the plot and the music was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Was prepared to be disappointed by this, but instead was very pleasantly surprised they pulled it off so well. Hope it continues..

Nate

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it has been cancelled

It was a good show and I think if it wasn't an adaptation it would've done better. But there was a lot against it before it was even released.

I'd say Netflix might rethink plans for more anime adaptations. I know they have One Piece and Avatar(yes, I know it's not anime) in the works

Advertisement