Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools to close again.. Covid

Options
  • 14-11-2021 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

With numbers rising is it on the cards again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

Nope, hospitality would have to shut before schools and that's not on the cards at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No. If they start closing things again, schools will be at the end of the list.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

They aren’t even contact tracing under 12s unless they spent the night in a house. They are a long way off closing schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Don't think it'll be considered at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Hopefully, but doubtful.

Everyone and his dog know that schools are probably driving the spread with this whole “schools are safe” nonsense but it’s also the least popular and least economically sound measure, so they’ll do everything they can to avoid it.

A “circuit breaker” lockdown in December would make sense though, so that they can open everything for Christmas (and then close everything again in January, like last year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

I'm not so sure - do we have actual figures for the numbers of cases in schools? We received notification last week of a case out my daughters' secondary school year. That's the first I've heard of a case in that school since the very start of the pandemic.

Interestingly, the opinion of the kids seems to be that ideally there would be no school but if there has to be school they'd rather be physically in school than at home. That's based on my daughters' opinions and what they report of those of their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It's hard to predict. And the minute they deny school closures you can be sure they will happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Nobody is sure. That’s the problem. In our place, we’ve had fewer than ten since the start of the pandemic, officially. Unofficially, we’ve had far more than that that were deemed “community cases”.

If it wasn’t for the cop on if parents, it’d be even worse, because at least most of ours keep their kids home if they’ve been in contact with positive cases but are deemed not to have been close contacts.

I wouldn’t trust what they’re telling us an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I think the reality that the vast majority of school principals are not publicising the Covid-19 figures is a strong indicator of things. Not a single word about statistics from our principal - evidently, teachers are not adults capable of rationally processing the information. In my kids' primary school, on the other hand, the principal informed us there was no fewer than 30 confirmed Covid cases in the previous 3 weeks. So, if that's an indicator...

That, and the fact that Covid cases in school are still being kept low by the student's Covid being recorded as a 'community' case rather than as a 'school' case (because they got it from home or elsewhere, even though they were in school before their test). To test this, compare the overall Covid statistics for people under 19 years of age with the "school" statistics for the same. The latter is far, far smaller - even though the vast majority of people under 19 are in some form of school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Schools are immune to Covid.....

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I would say principals are not able to publish stats in a lot of cases. We see kids absent for a week and no mention of Covid. At this stage I'm just assuming that if a kid is absent for a week without explanation then it's covid related.

Local primary schools in my town are riddled. A friend and her daughter has covid. Out of the 31 children in her daughters class, 11 were in school yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How is it possible this highly contagious virus is NOT spreading in school.

For the record I don’t believe schools should close but logic suggests schools are driving this spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Plenty of it in schools at the minute anyway

I definitely think schools will close again, probably by January. Our healthcare system just can't cope. It's very sad for the children, what is normal anymore.

I'm glad to be out of it, going on maternity leave next month 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

So you must think that pubs will close in January too? There's no way this government will keep pubs open but close schools, it would be impossible for them to do from an optics perspective.

Probably, but what does that have to do with this discussion? We’re talking about schools, not pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭KildareP

Gov won't close schools again as the kicking they'll receive will be enormous.

Like before, it'll be let happen and contact tracing will place the source as "community" as opposed to school and so schools will continue to be declared safe.

What I suspect will close them this time around is acute staff shortages, absenteeism even amongst fully vaccinated teachers and students is significantly higher than previous peaks and sadly I think we're only starting the ramp up to our next peak but are nowhere near it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

The way things are going right now in Ireland and across Europe I think it's likely there'll be a full scale lockdown in January again. Pubs v schools will not come into it. I'd say the government is desperately trying to make it to Christmas but the writing is on the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

There are so few subs I just can't see schools being able to stay open after Christmas if rates climb the way they did before. A few weeks of everyone inside in January might get levels low enough to get out of the winter explosion and get the boosters sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd nearly bet that schools will close a week early (either entirely or a remote learning) in December and probably go back a week or two late

I can't see how that would happen. They are in complete denial about schools. According to Norma Foley there were 16 outbreaks in schools last week. They won't close schools looking at that data. Localised closures/class closures due to sub crises, I can see. Nationwide closure, no, I really can't.

I'd guess that the government will move hell and high water to keep everything going until Christmas though as things stand they are running out of road for even that.

But I'd say the shutters will come down on everything after Christmas for a month or six weeks. And that will include schools. I have no doubt the government knows this too.

And we'll have accredited grades again too.

Schools have never been closed because they were accepted or acknowledged as a infection spreading environment. From that perspective the data relating to schools are irrelevant regarding potential closure.

Schools were closed in the past as part of a broader lockdown and that's the context in which they'll close again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really doubt we'd close again. Kids home, parents cannot work, economy suffers.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

It'll be the teachers again who will close the schools, not the govt.

Teachers unions will not allow staff to deal with so many sick infected kids face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

There’s plenty of covid everywhere folks not just schools

You're not seriously suggesting anyone claimed Covid was only in schools?

• Advertisement

What are they doing right now? Schools won't close. And I don't think they should.

Advertisement