Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools to close again.. Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

It’s a no from me too - We’ve spent the last 2 months freezing in school being told you’re grand it’s grand schools are safe so I’ll spend Jan in school freezing or else pulling my hair out remote teaching while keeping my own children on task and hold on to my hard earned well deserved Summer hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Deeec

Dont worry your summer hols are safe as the unions would never allow summer teaching. I was just putting it forward as a solution to freezing classrooms in January - I know this is going to be difficult for both teachers and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I work during the summer too though - work the month of June doing superintending for state exams and work with special needs students doing July provision in July. Anyone who corrects the leaving cert is also working in July.

That is all very important, very valuable work that still needs to be done. When and how is it done if we are expected to teach in the summer?

Edited to add that I understand you are only suggesting a solution to the difficult situation in Jan. But it is not as simple as just 'tapping into the summer holidays', for many reasons, not least the fact that they are my weeks off.

Post edited by Bananaleaf on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

People are very quick to find solutions that impact on others working conditions - it’s just a pity parents don’t / didn’t focus on better mitigation measures before now - it’s not like we weren't freezing last winter too 🤷‍♀️ I certainly won’t be giving up my hols and won’t be apologising for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Deeec

Im sorry I meant no offence by putting that idea forward - I apologise for any offence caused. Your response here is quite rude and ignorant towards parents being honest - Most parents are doing everything we can to keep to keep schools safe and open - we are worried and tired of the situation too. Please dont say we should complain - we do complain but nobody in authority listens to the moany pain in the ass parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The teachers and unions are “accepting” it because we know from experience that if we try to protest it, it will immediately be painted as teachers looking for more money (because any time we protest anything, it’s always for more money) and longer holidays (because my neighbour’s aunt’s Godchild knows a school where one of the teachers only put work up once a week, so obviously no teacher does anything when working from home), and we’ll be told “look at the front line workers like nurses and doctors and shop assistants who put on the green jersey, only for teachers to go diving out because they’re not paid enough on their long holidays - they’re worse than anti-vaccination masks Joe!”

So we’ve learned to keep our traps shut when there’s nothing that can be done (because God forbid they spend money on ventilating schools properly when there’s a perfectly good breeze to do it for free if you open all of the windows and doors - you’d get great drying too if they’d just put a washing line up in the classroom).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Parents come and go, eaten bread is soon forgotten. It's like the cost of school books and school enrollment is a big concern for unsuspecting parents a few times in their lives, they muddle through, forget about the issue then rinse and repeat the following year with new parents.

Teachers have been listening to the "tapping into the Summer holidays" for decades. Nothing to do with "the big bad unions wouldn't have it" , it just won't work with Junior and leaving exams, plus corrections in July.

But there was the use of Easter holidays for Snow days if you wish to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Do you get paid for those summer activities ? Or is it done as part of your normal salary ?

Thats all moot if you've been following the thread.

The point is that if you want teachers to teach over the summer you'll have to cancel Junior/leaving exams. It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

They're both paid roles. Not sure why you'd think they wouldn't be?

• Advertisement

I get paid for them. Although, as has been pointed out to you already, I'm not sure why that is relevant in the context we are discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Its farcical that we are still waiting on ventilators. Farcical.

With this latest variant numbers will shoot up and schools will not reopen in January.

I gave up arguing with cranky parents anywhere. Just agree with them and they quickly move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

How low can you go!

Met a mother yesterday evening that was furious her school sent out a letter telling her that her child/children had missed so many days out of the no.of days in term .....................the school never mentioned the fact that some of the absences were as a result of the Pandemic isolating etc and when narrowed down this mothers children did not miss but very few days............I ask you what the fcuk is wrong with the amadáns running schools presently that they have ZERO SOCIAL SKILLS.

I told the mother in question to get a red marker and write in bold print,(very bold!), please kindly f'off and do realise that we are in the middle of a Pandemic.I just hope she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that was a standard letter that goes out automatically when you reach a certain number of days. I would not expect the school to go through these absences and tell the parents they know what they were for. It's a factual document, plain and simple, certainly nothing to take offence to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Roll on Wednesday. I am done with this term.

All Eyes On Rafah

Jesus I'm done with this term since 9am this morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"ZERO SOCIAL SKILLS" you say and advise the parent to tell the school to F off, all right then. Once a child reaches a particular level of days missed, a letter issues. That's the legislation. Take your anger elsewhere, please, because school staff at this stage have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I really can't see schools opening in January.

Bizzarely kids can't catch covid in schools but only when they step outside.

We are heading for a lockdown. Not long or as extensive as before.

WEDNESDAY!!!

Thank fcuk!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Famous Blue Raincoat

• Advertisement

🤣 We had house exams way too early so that definitely dragged out. Would prefer if they were sitting exams up to the last day and suffer the corrections during Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Are schools going to reopen on the 6th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No word yet.

It's surely unlikely I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

Dept of Ed confirmed today that they will. Who would doubt their integrity?

Where did they confirm this? I didn't see anything on the gov.ie site - was it in a statement somewhere?

Not doubting you, was just unaware that they had commented at all

Thanks

Havent heard about this.

Think it really depends on things look on the 2nd/3rd.

Honestly think its 50/50. Hope we open. Online teaching sucks.

All Eyes On Rafah

I think we'll open. I'm basing that on nothing concrete, just my gut feeling.

I think we might open, but will we stay open? Today alone, 6 businesses in and around my locality have had to close because too many staff members are out as close contacts. I've not seen that level of disruption before now. How is that going to work in a school setting? Things were getting rocky enough as it was around Dec time. At the rate things are going now, we'd be through what S&S we have left in a fortnight max.

Add to that the potentially very high absenteeism rates amongst students and you would have to wonder what the point would be opening up (for mainstream, non-exam classes anyway)

Either way, I'd suggest getting the examination numbers of your Leaving Cert students into numerical order to save yourself some time in May .....

• Advertisement

Advertisement