Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Notice - Netflix

• 02-09-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭

The official “Red Notice” synopsis from Netflix reads:

“When an Interpol-issued Red Notice — the highest level warrant to hunt and capture the world’s most wanted — goes out, the FBI’s top profiler John Hartley (Dwayne Johnson) is on the case. His global pursuit finds him smack dab in the middle of a daring heist where he’s forced to partner with the world’s greatest art thief Nolan Booth (Ryan Reynolds) in order to catch the world’s most wanted art thief, ‘The Bishop’ (Gal Gadot). The high-flying adventure that ensues takes the trio around the world, across the dance floor, trapped in a secluded prison, into the jungle and, worst of all for them, constantly into each other’s company.”

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So ... Hobbs and Deadpool?

Jaysus though, it looks pretty generic. Johnson and Reynolds look to be on total autopilot, which ... sure. If that's enough to entertain then why not I suppose but ... eh, it'll want to be an especially rainy Sunday.

The oddly proud declaration in the trailer this was "written and directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber" had me go ... who?

Writer and director of Dodgeball; a film that college me has some fondness for, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hobbs, Deadpool and Wonder Woman, worldwide fun heist, I'm sure a hit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure keep it all DC and go with Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Black Adam.

And did they say there's a jungle in it? Guess that explains Dwayne's involvement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks kinda by-the-numbers fast-n-furious actioney.. I'd say it'll do well

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First thing I though was this Hobbs chasing down Ryan's other Netflix movie anti hero criminal character from 6 Underground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of Ryan Reynolds being deadpool in everything now.

Used to like him, but now i cant get over being annoyed whenevr he does that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a "small doses" for me. Reynolds schtick is funny for a time - and he's an incredibly charming, charismatic and likeable performer - but doing that Bit all the time gets a little tedious. I have wondered if because The Voices was such a huge flop for Reynolds, an attempt to branch out a little, he got scared and decided to double down on a "Brand" that worked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What the hell. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I like Reynolds, he's pretty one dimensional but to be fair to the guy, he does what he does well and always has done, long before Deadpool. I just saw Free Guy recently and it's a tremendously fun movie that makes the most of him to excellent effect.

I just hope the movie isn't a cheap quick-buck job like Hitmans Bodyguard, I thought that was utterly dreadful. Reynolds was fine, but the movie itself was so uninspired and generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Can't stand Deadpool or most marvel really but I liked him in Buried, I do generally find him funny though

• Advertisement

This was supposed to be a universal movie but Netflix apparently nabbed the rights. Google says the budget is 160-200 million! That's some cheddar for something that looks so generic. Netflix must be hoping for some star power fuelled viral or subscription bumps, presumably they paid at fair percentage of that budget for the rights?. I think Bright did well for them, while IIRC 6 Underground kinda flopped. Their dabbling with blockbusters have had mixed success IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Gadot truly is a total charisma vacuum.

The Guardian is giving it 1 star and calls it soulless.

Getting big 'aul shoulder shrugs from letterboxd reviews trickling in; but hey I suppose if it pulls in a few million more Netflix subscribers it'll be qualified a success?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Why does Netflix bother? The lack of promotion, buzz and overall awareness is insane considering the starpower of the cast. Just stick with TV shows.

I think also getting limited cinema release

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It only needs to be in cinemas for one week to make it eligible for below-the-line creative awards at the Oscars. That's all that is.

It's not good.

Another $200m spent on what feels more like pilot episode setting up a series of movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

when you look at the rock and john cena and the likes you really gave appreciate how good Dave Bautista is, he crossed over into acting but comes across as an actual actor with skills, I would just like to acknowledge that:) he doesn’t play the same character every time and puts the effort in

I think Bautista's ace here is he does a good "haunted"; the other two play big, large characters (literally and metaphorically), that are often leads, whereas Bautista takes these interesting side roles that require an undersold performance. Except for Drax of course, though you could argue he's neither a lead, and the character has a tragic backstory 🙂

Batista looks to me as someone who is trying to learn the craft of acting instead of just being this big guy and that he is happy to be a character actor in major films while working and learning from A list talent both on screen and behind the screen and then take the odd lead in a B movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally nothing makes me less interested in watching a film than The Rock’s presence. Everything about his screen presence seems too manicured, safe and focus-grouped. That extends even to interviews and social media. He’s a movie star with all the interesting edges and vulnerabilities sanded down. Not that Ryan Reynolds or Gal Gadot will ever have me rushing to the cinema or Netflix either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched this, it's way too long, coming in about 2 hours, easily could have been wrapped up in an hour and a half. There's multiple plots and plot twists, it's a little all over the place. I heard each of the 3 of them got $20 million to do this, I get the impression that if the director wanted them to sit on a chair for the entire 2 hours they would have.

I'd give it a 2 out of 5.

Which is probably why the tattle of Johnson dabbling in politics won't go away; as you say he's too polished at times. Likeable, but a little inauthentic. And I'll never be able to look at Cena the same after cravenly apologising to China (or rather it's government) for the offence of merely mentioning Taiwan's existence as a country.

It has the biggest opening day in Netflix film history

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well Netflix has simply invented its own secretive, weird barometers for ‘success’ so their internal records don’t really mean anything at all.

I'll say one thing for other Netflix blockbuster attempts like Bright: at least there was a head-turning concept powering that particular dud. Red Notice was just ... so transparently low effort. There wasn't a single set piece, a single twist or directorial flourish that betrayed even an ounce of enthusiasm.

Gadot, Johnson and Reynolds must be laughing all the way to the bank, having had to expend this little energy for that much (rumoured) money. Netflix truly are fools with their chequebooks. The high pay packets might also explain why the film looked so damn cheap.

Even watched with the context of a lazy Sunday afternoon couldn't flatter this long, wet raspberry of a film.

And when they are revealed, the metrics for "watched" can be as laughable as a minimum of 2 minutes runtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's fairly meh. There's nothing remotely interesting or memorable in it.

I'd agree on the points around Dwayne Johnson, he's almost too safe.

Also a bit glad to see Ryan Reynolds' supposed break for acting, he's basically played the same character for the last few years. A break might help him take a look and decide what he wants to do long-term.

Advertisement