Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Notice - Netflix

• 02-09-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭

The official “Red Notice” synopsis from Netflix reads:

“When an Interpol-issued Red Notice — the highest level warrant to hunt and capture the world’s most wanted — goes out, the FBI’s top profiler John Hartley (Dwayne Johnson) is on the case. His global pursuit finds him smack dab in the middle of a daring heist where he’s forced to partner with the world’s greatest art thief Nolan Booth (Ryan Reynolds) in order to catch the world’s most wanted art thief, ‘The Bishop’ (Gal Gadot). The high-flying adventure that ensues takes the trio around the world, across the dance floor, trapped in a secluded prison, into the jungle and, worst of all for them, constantly into each other’s company.”

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So ... Hobbs and Deadpool?

Jaysus though, it looks pretty generic. Johnson and Reynolds look to be on total autopilot, which ... sure. If that's enough to entertain then why not I suppose but ... eh, it'll want to be an especially rainy Sunday.

The oddly proud declaration in the trailer this was "written and directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber" had me go ... who?

Writer and director of Dodgeball; a film that college me has some fondness for, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,497 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hobbs, Deadpool and Wonder Woman, worldwide fun heist, I'm sure a hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure keep it all DC and go with Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Black Adam.

And did they say there's a jungle in it? Guess that explains Dwayne's involvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks kinda by-the-numbers fast-n-furious actioney.. I'd say it'll do well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,885 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First thing I though was this Hobbs chasing down Ryan's other Netflix movie anti hero criminal character from 6 Underground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of Ryan Reynolds being deadpool in everything now.

Used to like him, but now i cant get over being annoyed whenevr he does that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a "small doses" for me. Reynolds schtick is funny for a time - and he's an incredibly charming, charismatic and likeable performer - but doing that Bit all the time gets a little tedious. I have wondered if because The Voices was such a huge flop for Reynolds, an attempt to branch out a little, he got scared and decided to double down on a "Brand" that worked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What the hell. I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I like Reynolds, he's pretty one dimensional but to be fair to the guy, he does what he does well and always has done, long before Deadpool. I just saw Free Guy recently and it's a tremendously fun movie that makes the most of him to excellent effect.

I just hope the movie isn't a cheap quick-buck job like Hitmans Bodyguard, I thought that was utterly dreadful. Reynolds was fine, but the movie itself was so uninspired and generic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Can't stand Deadpool or most marvel really but I liked him in Buried, I do generally find him funny though

• Advertisement

This was supposed to be a universal movie but Netflix apparently nabbed the rights. Google says the budget is 160-200 million! That's some cheddar for something that looks so generic. Netflix must be hoping for some star power fuelled viral or subscription bumps, presumably they paid at fair percentage of that budget for the rights?. I think Bright did well for them, while IIRC 6 Underground kinda flopped. Their dabbling with blockbusters have had mixed success IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Gadot truly is a total charisma vacuum.

The Guardian is giving it 1 star and calls it soulless.

Getting big 'aul shoulder shrugs from letterboxd reviews trickling in; but hey I suppose if it pulls in a few million more Netflix subscribers it'll be qualified a success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Why does Netflix bother? The lack of promotion, buzz and overall awareness is insane considering the starpower of the cast. Just stick with TV shows.

I think also getting limited cinema release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It only needs to be in cinemas for one week to make it eligible for below-the-line creative awards at the Oscars. That's all that is.

It's not good.

Another $200m spent on what feels more like pilot episode setting up a series of movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

when you look at the rock and john cena and the likes you really gave appreciate how good Dave Bautista is, he crossed over into acting but comes across as an actual actor with skills, I would just like to acknowledge that:) he doesn’t play the same character every time and puts the effort in

I think Bautista's ace here is he does a good "haunted"; the other two play big, large characters (literally and metaphorically), that are often leads, whereas Bautista takes these interesting side roles that require an undersold performance. Except for Drax of course, though you could argue he's neither a lead, and the character has a tragic backstory 🙂

Batista looks to me as someone who is trying to learn the craft of acting instead of just being this big guy and that he is happy to be a character actor in major films while working and learning from A list talent both on screen and behind the screen and then take the odd lead in a B movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally nothing makes me less interested in watching a film than The Rock’s presence. Everything about his screen presence seems too manicured, safe and focus-grouped. That extends even to interviews and social media. He’s a movie star with all the interesting edges and vulnerabilities sanded down. Not that Ryan Reynolds or Gal Gadot will ever have me rushing to the cinema or Netflix either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched this, it's way too long, coming in about 2 hours, easily could have been wrapped up in an hour and a half. There's multiple plots and plot twists, it's a little all over the place. I heard each of the 3 of them got $20 million to do this, I get the impression that if the director wanted them to sit on a chair for the entire 2 hours they would have.

I'd give it a 2 out of 5.

Which is probably why the tattle of Johnson dabbling in politics won't go away; as you say he's too polished at times. Likeable, but a little inauthentic. And I'll never be able to look at Cena the same after cravenly apologising to China (or rather it's government) for the offence of merely mentioning Taiwan's existence as a country.

It has the biggest opening day in Netflix film history

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well Netflix has simply invented its own secretive, weird barometers for ‘success’ so their internal records don’t really mean anything at all.

I'll say one thing for other Netflix blockbuster attempts like Bright: at least there was a head-turning concept powering that particular dud. Red Notice was just ... so transparently low effort. There wasn't a single set piece, a single twist or directorial flourish that betrayed even an ounce of enthusiasm.

Gadot, Johnson and Reynolds must be laughing all the way to the bank, having had to expend this little energy for that much (rumoured) money. Netflix truly are fools with their chequebooks. The high pay packets might also explain why the film looked so damn cheap.

Even watched with the context of a lazy Sunday afternoon couldn't flatter this long, wet raspberry of a film.

And when they are revealed, the metrics for "watched" can be as laughable as a minimum of 2 minutes runtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's fairly meh. There's nothing remotely interesting or memorable in it.

I'd agree on the points around Dwayne Johnson, he's almost too safe.

Also a bit glad to see Ryan Reynolds' supposed break for acting, he's basically played the same character for the last few years. A break might help him take a look and decide what he wants to do long-term.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd have been tempted to agree with a lot of the scorn for this movie, had I not watched it on Friday night with a bottle of wine and enjoyed it thoroughly. Long week, finally got time to myself late Friday, and this just fit perfectly with what my head needed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mindless, harmless, mildly entertaining. I enjoyed it when watching but I will never feel the need to watch it again 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I live all three actors but this just looks SO cookie-cutter "Meh". I mean I'll give it a go. I'm already paying for Netflix. But it wouldn't have enticed me to the cinema.

While tonally and story-wise it is NOTHING like "Night at the Museum" it reminds me of it: A stellar cast in a movie WAAAAAAAY less than its parts

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its a bit of fun.

dont go looking for plot holes or character development

Honestly, I'd say "go find something else"; it was so intentionally low effort, it almost felt like time wasted (which is a thing for us, when movie time basically amounts to "when our kid naps upstairs for a couple of hours" lol). Nobody was trying here, and shouldn't be rewarded for that.

I'd sooner recommend one of those small-scale, B Movie Netflix Originals like Blood Red Sky than this; not 'cos it was a better movie but at least there's a story idea you felt people wanted to share. It's weird because while Netflix's TV Originals are consistently batting between "watchable" and "outright excellent", their movies are themselves consistently half-ássed to rubbish. Usually just throwing a big star name against a shít script and then sleepwalking the rest.

• Advertisement

I find this quite interesting. I'm not going to go down the line of "Oh, movies these days" but it has been quite interesting to see, as you say, movies with big names going to the streaming platforms because of Covid which are surprisingly "Meh".

Free Guy on Disney. This Red Notice on Netflix and that Chris Pratt movie on Amazon (Tomorrow War?). I wonder how these would have done had Covid not been a thing. I mean I don't know about Red Notice but Free Guy and Tomorrow War were originally planned for cinema release (Certainly Free Guy was anyway). They would have been quite underwhelming. Without looking at originally-planned dates, they could have been planned as counter-programming. In that many studios release rom-coms around the time of the world cup. I wonder was Free Guy for example originally planned for release at the same time as Dune: Dune taking up the biggest screens and then the family friendly movie to fill in the gap left by other movies not competing with Dune (Again, just an example).

I mean it's not like these are cheap movies. The cast cost alone of that Red Notice must have been 60-70 million. But they are SO bland it is hard not to see them sink without trace in the cinema in a Covid-free world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Red Notice has a reported budget of $200M. They must have spent it all on fees for the three stars. they certainly didn't spend it on the script.

That's what I mean. Remember when it came out that Avatar was something like 180 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yeah but 60M of that 200 went just on the 3 stars.

Certainly, there wasn't much left for the FX; the set-pieces, bar some of the one-on-one fights, had really shabby CGI that robbed any sense of tension or danger from the action. The big finale chase was particularly horrible; last time I saw something that bad it was the terrible jungle chase in Crystal Skull.

It's just "Content". That's all Netflix cares about; or at least, the division in charge of these kind of films. There's clearly no effort being made to craft something especially engaging or memorable. Just 2 hours of distraction 'til the algorithm spins up the next thing to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Fairly poor.

A couple of moments that generate a chuckle - not a laugh but more a chuckle.

I feel like I have seen this movies 50 times elsewhere.

Terrible CGI and and Greenscreen moments that could easily be avoided. Not sure how a movie with a 200 million budget can have such terrible effects.

It will pass 2 hours some evening but I doubt you will be happy you spent 2 hours on this muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

It was actually not quite as bad as I expected from the harsher reviews, I found it fairly watchable with a few cheap laughs and the cast have reasonable charisma.

However the harsher critics aren't wrong either - it is pretty weak and incredibly uninspired, really for a $200m film it's downright bad actually, I'm a lot more forgiving from the living room armchair than I would have been in the cinema.

CGI was extremely subpar for a film with that production budget, strong whiff of video-game off a lot of it and really jarring green screen. Would have looked considerably worse on a cinema screen.

Also in reference to a comment above - Free Guy was in cinemas everywhere including the US. It is also a ton better than Red Notice. Tomorrow War was a complete turkey, the worst of all 3 in my opinion.

If this Variety article is to be believed, tens of millions went on wages for the 3 stars, and even 10 mil to the director - so realistically, the budget was probably closer to $100 million. Would explain the sloppy, subpar FX

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Absolute scutter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Shocked that this cost $200m (and the director suggests it was way more, at least 250). Apart from the actors it looks cheap, like a tv pilot as said above. Dune by comparison cost 165m. Always amazed at how Netflix burn through so much money without managing to get any of it up on screen.

Well then a series of movies it is as all 3 stars are coming back as Netflix are going to film 2 & 3 back to back.

They will be adding new characters as well which I guess is to create spin offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

You are being too generous. There wasn't much fun in it. It was pure sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭feelings

Absolute trash. I couldn't finish watching it.

Advertisement