Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

You should take a leaf out of your own book and try answering a few questions. Was USC a temporary measure that became permanent? Was income tax a temporary measure that became permanent? Yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yet again you go so far off topic with your deflections that you enter the stratosphere.

No desperation. I believe brianhere is right about measures being permanent. Posters are saying the measures aren't permanent because they're said to be temporary. But I just gave an example of two measures that were said to be temporary, but ended up being permanent. So why is it impossible for the covid measures to be permanent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Oh noes, you caught us out there with income tax. Of course a temporary tax brought in to pay for a war, and the same as previous taxes that had come and gone previously by various governments through history, which was then realised that would actually make a good way to fund the basic needs of the citizens of the country... So it became permanent and is now what every country does in order to fund themselves... That is exactly the same as asking people to wear masks to limit the spread of an infection.

Government realising that taking money off their citizens and it is quite obvious where the benefits to the government are, and whilst they may disagree about certain points the benefits to the population is obvious as well.

What is the benefit to the government in having their population wear masks permanently? What is in it for the government to demand such a thing once it's no longer required for pandemic reasons?

Still temporary measures that ended up being permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You've completely run out of ideas to validate a conspiracy you can't detail, you can't even make up stuff, so now you are grasping into the past at unrelated events. Even that trips you up, we've had pandemics in the past, in 1918 people wore masks, and they stopped afterwards.

The question I asked you has been put to several conspiracy theorists here, it challenges them to react in a logical way to a logical problem. Unsurprisingly, they dodge, deflect or don't address that question because they know it exposes their beliefs. A liar protecting their lie.

Exactly, you blindly believe a random poster from the internet who thinks this is all a secret Communist plot that they can't explain. The belief comes first, and work you backwards from there to validate it, like all conspiracy theorists.

Nearing 300 pages, all measures have not been permanent, so that notion is completely debunked

Now we're into the salvage phase: "I absolutely believe some measures might or might not be permanent, but I can't explain to anyone why, and there's also a conspiracy, but I can't explain that either"

Coming soon: "I saw someone with a mask on in the shop yesterday" and "it was all a test-run"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It's not possible that covid measures will be permanent in the way you guys believe because you cannot provide rational reasons for why they would be permanent.

When you are asked to supply these reasons, you do everything you can to ignore and deflect from the question.

Recently you claimed you were going to answer one of these questions. You still have not. You lied because you are very dishonest.

If you guys have to be dishonest, then there's not much to your claims.

Have conspiracy theorists ever made claims and predictions about a crisis or emergency that turned out to be wrong?

• Advertisement

And we'll be back to "vaccines are bad" soon enough too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And what purpose would permanent mask wearing serve the government?

Hasn't been debunked at all. No measures have been lifted. Few places have reopened, but they're still heavily restricted. In fact, the more vaccinated the population the more restricted life is. Latest is masks outdoors and the likely extension of the vaccine passport to other settings.

Your '300 pages in' posts are annoying. We're almost two years into 'two weeks to flatten the curve' and you amazingly continue to insist that the measures are temporary despite there being no evidence to suggest they are.

I told you: a safety at all costs society.

That would satisfy the public health celebrities who are in the media 24/7 talking about how normal life can't return, that would satisfy the huge numbers of people who are still very afraid of covid, and that would be 'a semblance of normality'. Not once has it ever been said that normal life will resume. The only explanation for that is because is because normal life isn't supposed to resume. We're seeing in various countries that masks are being talked about in the context of colds and the flu: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/corner/the-pivot-to-forever-masking-is-starting-lets-kill-it-with-fire/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Practically all measures have been lifted and you know it. The country knows it. Many of those lifted have been identified to you. Please stop trolling. It’s like a child trying to say that they didn’t do something bold when they did it right in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

I agree about the risk/reward equation, and that it's wise to be cautious. However from what I've seen this past 18 mths the risk from Covid seems to be much greater than the risk from the vaccine. As we have to assume that almost everyone will get the virus at some stage, as we open up, the vaccine seems to be a safer bet, and especially as we've already seen billions of people vaccinated world wide and the dire prophesies from some anti-vaccine people have not come to pass.

Anyway, here is what I said ...

Looking at that picture can you not see that the unvaccinated are faring much worse than the vaccinated? If we're being conservative and saying that 2 out of 10 of the population were unvaccinated, but 6.5 out of 10 in ICU were unvaccinated, then doesn't that tell you what the increased risk is? And recognising that the increased risk is to the unvaccinated is hardly scapegoating, do you want us to bury our heads in the sand and pretend otherwise?

To which you replied ...

no cos the stats you are using to beat the unvaccinated are taken from a period when the number went from a majority - large minority - small minority of the population were unvaxxed. Give me stats esclusively in sept/oct and remove the under 12s . Then those stats are fair and honest.

until then its' skewed.

The data is not skewed, and you can see that in the picture below if you study it (top graph is from here, and bottom one from here, and I've squished the bottom one so week 28 on both are the same). Can you see the following ...

• 100% of 70s, and over 80s, fully vaccinated before 1st July.
    • 90% of 50s and 60s fully vaccinated by mid July
    • 85% of 40s fully vaccinated by early Aug, 75% of 30s & 20s by late Aug.
    • We already saw that 64% of people admitted 26th June - 31st Oct were not fully vaccinated, so 6.5 people in every 10 were not fully vaccinated.
    • Of the 400 people admitted to ICU in that time, 349 were over 35 yrs old, so the vast bulk of the admissions (from beg of Aug) were at a time when 80% of those admitted were fully vaccinated, and 20% (2 out of 10) not vaccinated.
    • So we can then say that at a time when 2 out of 10 people in the population were not vaccinated, 6.5 out of 10 being admitted to ICU were not vaccinated, so the risk of unvaccinated ending up in ICU is at least 3 times that of the vaccinated
    • If this was mirrored in the hospitalisation rates that can you see that the 10% unvaccinated would likely make up a minimum of 30% of hospitalisations, and perhaps much higher!! So then try to tell me that the unvaccinated portion of the population is not relevant!! Why do you think we don't have any outbreaks of measles, mumps, or polio, or other diseases children are vaccinated against? The main reason is that nearly 100% of children are vaccinated.

But why would masks benefit this?

Why do you believe they want "a safety at all costs society"?

Why would they want this when you believe masks don't do this?

Is this the explanation you promised to give a few posts ago? If so, it's very anticlimatic as again, you explanation is vague catchphrases with no depth and no sense.

I think what happened here is you were supplied yet more nonsense links from the grifters you follow religiously and you are just link dumping to cover up the fact you can't provide an answer to the question.

But you're lying. Measures have been lifted.

You are now flip floping again and declaring that Brian was right when he claimed all measures are permenant when only a few weeks ago you were claiming only masks would be permanent.

Either you are very dishonest and you're charging your position this much, or you just have no clue what you're claiming.

Or perhaps both and you're just parroting what conspiracy grifters are telling you.

And yes, it has been nearly 300 pages of you cats dodging, lying and whinging.

If you find it annoying when people point this out, maybe stop whinging about it and stop dodging and lying.

Maybe try answering questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Was USC originally said to be a temporary measure? How did that go?

Income tax a temporary measure?: Income Tax Act 1842 - Wikipedia

"Although promoted as a temporary measure, income tax has been levied continually in Britain ever since."

Do you not see how ridiculous that sounds? If any measure remains in existence it means that it makes sense in the circumstances.

Do you not see a good reason for income tax? Do you think it should just be abolished?

Re USC, if we didn't have USC where do you think the money would come from that currently comes from USC? (unless you can suggest some public service you'd like to cut)?

Lockdowns were lifted. People are sitting in pubs now. The measures weren't permanent, they've been lifted according to the situation, because they were put in place as a reaction to the virus. However you've decided, for whatever personal reasons, that the measures will be permanent because someone on the internet wrote it, now it's developed into a fanatical delusional belief which you endlessly try to rationalise to yourself. Other posters here live in similar invented worlds, curating irrational beliefs (lies) to comfort themselves to make sense of a world they can't or don't want to understand.

• Advertisement

Point is temporary measures can become permanent and have a habit of becoming permanent.

Would it make sense for mandatory masks to remain permanent for colds and the flu? And if not, why not? See that article I posted from National Review. There's already talk in the US of masks in the context of colds and the flu.

If you don't have a vaccine passport no restrictions have been lifted, you're a second class citizen and you're locked out of everything..

It's an apartheid society..

We had a poster claiming the conspiracy, which they couldn't explain at all, would all be revealed this summer, eventually writing it in caps, then storming off the forum. Another was claiming that the NWO was putting symbolism on baby clothes. Another that it was part of some "Corpo-fascist" plot, which later became a Communist-Fascist plot. We had the "Kill Gates" ones, the "Satan is behind it" ones, even the ones claiming there was no Covid at all, that it didn't exist.

Interesting how all these posters with completely contradictory ideas not just happily co-exist, but openly support each other. Like a group of frauds, quacks and charlatans all backed into a corner by fact/logic/reason/evidence desperately trying to work together as a group to survive. "You validate my lie and I'll validate yours".

Lol more ridciulous hyperbole and all completely false.

You are trying to invent a narative where you are a victim. To do this, you are trying to appropriate actual victimhood that you have no knowledge of and never actually experienced.

And to do this, you've lied repeatedly and engaged in all manner of dishonest behaviour.

Why? Why go to all this trouble to invent your narrative to pretend to be a second class citizen?

Again, I think it's because you and your fellow conspiracy theorists are play acting as heroic rebels with secret knowledge.

This is very sad, and it's clearly not working as no one is being fooled. Not even your fellow theorists.

Which measures are you refering to? Why are they going to be permanent? Why have you cats kept avoiding this question for 300 pages?

And they're slowly coming back. I remember a few months ago wondering why world leaders were all talking about a dark winter. The dark winter was more lockdowns (Austria and the Netherlands in recent days), in my opinion.

The measures haven't been lifted properly. Businesses are still operating under heavy restrictions. People still have to show a pass to eat or drink indoors (a radical change in the West). And the more vaccinated the population the more restricted life is. Instead of the restrictions being properly lifted life is becoming more restricted. Latest is masks outdoors and the pass being extended to more and more areas of life. Doesn't matter whether you agree with it being extended or not. That's irrelevant. It was said to be for international travel only. Soon enough it'll be required almost everywhere.

On Bill Gates, what do you think he meant when he said last year that the 'next one' would get people's attention? He recently warned of smallpox attacks and the FDA recently approved a smallpox drug.

And even with the vaccine passport life is still restricted.

Netherlands has reintroduced lockdown measures for 3 weeks because the virus is surging.

Again, if you were the leader of that country, and there was an infectious disease surging, you would be implementing measures. You know this. You also know that conspiracy theorists would be claiming you were part of some nefarious conspiracy they could never detail.

On conspiracy theorists interpretation of Bill Gates or anything, do you think people are capable of making stuff up and believing in paranoid fantasies?

Do you think that the space program is fake because someone on the internet believes it, or is that person living in a fantasy world?

How do you rationalise that to yourself?

• Advertisement

But those conspiracy theorists have been telling you since the summer there would be a surge now?..

You were telling us all a few weeks ago everything was going to be lifted on Oct 22nd..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement