Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Unreg102021

Hi everyone, hope it's ok for me to post here. Last week my wife was told by a neurologist that she may have MS. This was entirely unexpected by both of us and we're both just floored and devastated. No confirmed diagnosis yet but the neurologist said that his suspicion is strong. I'm posting because I'm just terrified and don't know what to do, we're in this limbo now while tests etc are done and it's awful. I'm scared for my wife's health, I'm scared for our future, I've no idea what to expect in terms of prognosis because I'm too afraid to look it up. I'm a ball of worry and stress and trying to put on a brave face for her sake but she can see through it. I can't eat or sleep with anxiety. She is surprisingly calm, collected and positive (relatively) about it all, but I am not so resilient. She doesn't want anyone to know until we know what's going on so I have nobody to really talk to about it and I feel like I'm going to crack up.

FWIW issues started 10 years ago with an unexplained bout of pins and needles that lasted a few weeks. At the time it was checked but stress related peripheral neuropathy was suspected. Then nothing for 8 years except she started getting migraine, first it was rare but became more frequent over time, to the point it became almost a daily thing. Since the pins and needles then she has had 2 what he called 'key events', both of which were separate but occurred in the past 2 years where she had what he thinks was Lhermitte's sign for a bit and then she experienced complete numbness from the waist down for 2 weeks but she didn't lose mobility. There are no residual symptoms now and no other symptoms were ever manifest like bladder/sight/mobility/balance/coordination issues. The only reason she was referred to a neurologist by the GP was was because of the persistent migraine leading to brain MRI and then to the neurologist. Even the neurologist suspected migraine based on the brain MRI until he asked about her history which led to his suspicion.

I'm not sure what I expect to get from this post, or why I'm unloading here, but thank you for reading. I wish you all well in managing your own illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hi. Sorry to hear your news. My 2 cents to for your wife to kip fit, exercise, gym whatever. Occupies the mind as much as anything. I would strongly recommend keeping fit based on my own mistakes, it's easier to keep it than to try and get it back.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

Plus one on Jelenek, low saturated fat , whole food diet. Just good for you generally . Look up OMS and the Swank diet .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Unreg102021

Thank you both, I will get that OMS book immediately. The first suggestion from the neurologist was to start taking magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin B2. Her migraines have completely abated since, just hoping it isn't a coincidence, but she hasn't gone a week without a migraine in a long time. She's a big believer in natural/lifestyle approach to wellbeing in general, so the OMS program will be her first port of call I have no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Same here - got a text from HSE telling me to go to the UCD centre on Monday (tomorrow, the BH) after a referral from my GP. I’m on Gilenya since the Phase III trial back in 2007-8.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Check out Swank diet too, though its mentioned in OMS. I hope your wife likes fish !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭adocholiday

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Of course it's ok to post, hopefully it's not MS but plenty of support on here!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Managed to get the NAG through “ IHerb” and they will deliver next Monday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi folks,

Haven't posted, literally in years, but just wanted to say hi. I have been formally approved under the Treatment Abroad Scheme for HSCT in London. I still have RRMS, but my neurologist has said I have refractory MS and I just don't respond optimally to any of the medications. I've had copaxone, tecfidera, tysabri, lemtrada, and now on ocrevus. They've all failed, I am relapsing every 4 months irrespective of whatever meds I'm on. So, so fed up of MS now, don't even want HSCT but I don't feel like I've got an alternative choice. Am getting ocrevus on November 18th, my third full dose after starting it on May 2020. I've had three relapses since starting ocrevus.... Really wish it'd leave me the hell alone!

I hope you're all keeping well x

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GreenRdBoy

You have been so through much so I know its a huge step but I know you will handle it. You have helped my son and his family with your honesty and courage with your posts. Knowledge is power. I know people who have been to Russia for HSCT and are flying it. So best of luck and fly high too!

2013 (ithink) was DX , but can trace symptoms back to when I was 3 or4.

On Avonex, and MRI's stable. All my lesions in 2013 MRI,s were old ones.

Really hoping I'm not going PPMS !

Do any other MSers suffer with insomnia. ? Maybe it's nothing to do with MS !

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My problem is trying to stay awake!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

Was talking to my MS nurse there. Apparently they sent a list of immunocompromised patients to HSE a few weeks ago for referral for the booster, but still no sign of being called. I'm on Gilenya, which she mentioned is one of the DMTs that results in lowest antibody response to the vaccine, so I'd imagine my immunity has fairly waned by now (6 months since second jab). She thinks they are calling people by age, regardless of any underlying conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

My cousin died of MS aged just 23, she would have been 50 had she lived. I miss her all the time. Her Mam (my aunt) was diagnosed with it as well some years later and has also passed away and I have another cousin who has it as well. It's the curse of our family. I am lucky I've so far escaped it and I hope I always will.

To everyone living with MS I have only a smidgeon of understanding of what you go through and to all of the families supporting their loved ones - you are warriors all and I could only hope to be as strong of will.

• Advertisement

Definitely not age, lots of the Tysabrians have been done. Talk to your MS nurse and see if she knows anything. You may have been skipped by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GreenRdBoy

My son, aged 22, was given booster jab by the gp. Got it about 3 weeks ago. Defo not by age. So try your gp

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm on Tecfidera. Haven't been called for a booster. I wasn't called for vaccination by my neurology department. They were asking me why I hadn't been vaccinated when I saw them last. I wouldn't be counting on them to call me!

I'm living in the North now , but had contacted my GP about flu vaccine and booster and told ' don't call us we'll call you ". I normally have flu in October approx. but no word on it. Parents flued and boosted in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

I suffer from Insomnia - not all the time mind (have done on and off for many years) - don't ask me the medical terminology but my GP, in simple language advised me there is a difference between not being able to sleep and waking in the middle of the night and then not being able to get back to sleep - in my case I have little issue getting asleep but if I am stressed / worried / anxious etc tend to wake at 2 or 3 am with my mind racing (and cant get back asleep) - this is different from not being able to sleep at all.

In my case I went through a particularly "rough" patch, at the same time I was dealing with a flare-up earlier this year - I had a lot going on as well, dealing with a family bereavement (Covid related which made it all the more difficult, as I couldn't even say "good-bye" which got to me), and other covid related scares in the house, (nobody's fault; one of my kids is a frontline worker, and really sensible / careful, but was just unlucky), and I was told I was going to lose my job so I kind of imploded at the time. At the time I was prescribed medication for anxiety and these "knocked me out", but my GP was quite firm that these were not a long-term solution. That being said they I took them for about a month and they helped me regularise my sleeping pattern, and to get some rest / recovery. Thankfully things are much better now and generally I am sleeping fairly well (and hadn't taken these meds for over two months) - that said I had discussed the matter with my GP so after a week of poor sleep I took them for two nights last week but thankfully things have settled, and while still have about half a dozen tabs left, which with my GP's knowledge, I keep in the bed-side locker, "just in case" - in a silly way knowing they are there helps me not get over-anxious about it - probably sounds mad I know.

Suggest this is best discussed with you Dr, and that you consider the above, i.e. is it falling asleep that is problematic at or waking up in the middle of the night. Good look, I feel for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

I'm on Gilenya as well.

Only started on that in September, after a flare-up (was on Plegridy before that) - I can't recall the precise timing, but it was only a matter of weeks after I started the Gilenya that I got a text from the HSE out of the blue, I can't recall exactly, but it more less said "your physician" has put you forward for a booster, and to attend Citywest at "x" o'clock on "whatever day" (that was about three weeks ago). Maybe ask your Neuro? or MS Nurse.

(I see my Neuro privately, and / so don't have access to a nurse, but he generally responds within a few days to emails; usually via a return e-mail via his secretary, but to his credit he has telephoned me himself to discuss concerns a few times this year / when I was "not great", and much to my pleasant surprise in the evening (more than once), and on a weekend, as to his credit "he wanted to understand precisely what I was dealing with / what my symptoms were and to understand my concerns".)

Hope this helps - but Gilenya is specifically listed on the HSE website as one of a number of meds that "qualifies" for a booster, so in my (non educated / unqualified) opinion you should get a booster.

link below :

Phoned my GP and got a script for phenergan, which should do the job. I take it to re-set my sleep pattern, then hopefully I'll sleep normal hours.

But insomnia ( brain racing and not being able to fall asleep) has been a longstanding issue for me, Even before my diagnosis , though I had symptoms, (leg tremors, weakness on my right sideand) ever since a child .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ihaveaquestion1234

Hi, please could anyone recommend a Neurology Dept or Neurologist with a reasonable waiting list?

Woke up 3 weeks ago with the right-hand side of my face, right hand and right leg all numb, hasn't improved since.

GP has referred me to a neurologist in Vincents Private but I rang them and he has a 6 month waitlist so I won't be seen until next May.

Is that normal? To be honest, I'm freaking out a bit and I don't know how I'll be able to cope with not knowing and just living like this for the next 6 months.

I got an appointment very quickly with the neurologist in the Hermitage. I asked to be transferred to St Vincent's public after seeing him. Was given an appointment that was 3 years later. Thought it was a typo… rang up to clarify and it wasn’t!! Stayed with the private guy until an appointment came up in the public hospital. It was only around a 9 month wait. Once you’re in the public system I have found it very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ihaveaquestion1234

Advertisement