Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Youtube cancels public dislike count on videos.

• 10-11-2021 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭

Load of c**p. But also, there's talk going around that this is a decision being taken to appease large corporations and political entities from getting unwelcome negative feedback rather than protecting your average Youtuber. As people have been saying, it's a good way to sort the wheat from the chaff when looking for pertinent videos, although some discretion does have to be used as videos can sometimes be subject to unjust downvote brigading by trolls. Will Youtube roll back this decision? I suppose we can only wait and find out, but there's little real alternative to the platform. Many video sites of course, but none with anywhere near the same breadth of content.

Comments

I've never checked or noticed the likes or dislikes on a video unless it's the only reason someone has sent it to me. The algorithm will be affected but considering the amount of shite it suggests to me I don't think the like/dislike ratio is the issue.

It's a poor decision but has been coming for a while. A lot of the mainstream media and official government videos in the US were getting down voted into oblivion.

I don't believe YouTube's explanation at all. Also I'm really noticing more and more adds with all the YouTube videos I watch, not sure if it's just a coincidence or is it a discreet attempt to push people towards the premium version?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

If you're on Android and aren't bothered leaving comments under videos, then you can use Newpipe (downloaded through the F-Droid app), which is a nice open source YT client. You can import your subs from your Google account and it has play in the background functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So will they start editing negative comments ? Not at all democratic.

• Advertisement

The ads thing happened I think a few months back, a youtuber I follow mentioned that ads were put into everybody's past videos retroactively. Even if the channel had previously opted out of ads, there they were again.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

No need for premium, just use youtube with no account.

No adds, and the algorithm struggles to track you.

The whole recommendation thing is a big scam with youtube anyway. Their whole business model, is based on a captive audience strategy. Zombie users watching whatever they make you watch!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They want to push the stuff that makes money. Regardless of what it is. It's algorithms push everything I hate into my feed. Tries to hide the stuff I'm interested in.

This is all more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“On Wednesday, YouTube said the removal of dislike counts was because the company wants to improve the inclusivity, respect and safety of its service,” calling it "one of many steps we are taking to continue to protect creators from harassment.”

if I watch a video and express dissatisfaction with it by disliking it... I could be contributing to harassment ? Am I disrespecting? Am I being non inclusive? Hmmmm

When you hear idiots throw around phrases like inclusivity you know it’s just another woke fückhead desperately seeking likes and attention..

soon you’ll watch a football game and be banned from social media platforms if you negatively critique a player... “ you are endangering the mental health of said players, their family and supporters, your comment has been deleted and it’s being sent via complaint to An Garda Siochana...

these eejits are now impinging on our freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Newstalk will be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I no longer give a flying hoot about YouTube. 14 ads it tried to show me before a video the other night. I refuse to watch them, so it tried to show me another ad 13 more times before it left the video play. Likes, dislikes, upvoting, to hell with it all if you can't even watch the fecking video (this only applies on the PS5, I have AdBlock).

But, it's a positive for people insofar as people can't downvote to make the video look unappealing, but it's a negative because as mentioned in the OP, it will protect companies and their vested interested. Should go a middle ground and make it private on personal channels, and public on monetised, sponsored or advertising videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I have no strong feelings one way or the other...

This was touted a few weeks ago was it not?

It's because every Biden/Whitehouse video gets ratio'd to fnck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its a private company, they can do what they want, why would you expect anything they do to be democratic?

Because when Youtube was launched and first became popular it was precisely because it was a "power to the people" site. People could upload videos, and watch videos without any restrictions. If you like the video - thumbs up. Didn't like it? Thumbs down. Got something to say? Leave a comment. No ads back then either. It was an incredible addition to the internet.

But like everything in Silicon valley, the bigger it got the more infested by parasitic SJW's it became. Now it's become this Orwellian project. Users are banned for ideological reasons on some trumped up charges (like the vague "community standards"). They because this colossus and are now using their power for biased political ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So your complaining about a private company having an agenda because it doesn't suit your own agenda? FYI the only agenda youtube has is to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Barring compyright infringement its pretty hard to get banned from Youtube in reality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I think the various Youtube purges and demonisation of various non-establishment political channels make this a questionable assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not really. If you get demonitized you need to rethink what you were doing rather than blame everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Just sign up for YouTube premium. I'm "in India" so it only costs the equivalent of 1.50 a month for 5 users.... Ahem

No - I'm complaining about a private company having an agenda. Full stop.

I would prefer politics to be removed from business and from sport also. If you start picking sides you end up in a divisive race to the bottom of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Some of the alternatives are improving. Rumble, Odysee and Bitchute, among others. Spotify may also expand its video hosting capabilities in the future, but I'm not sure they will be able to hold an ideologically neutral line in terms of the content they platform unless they have a Coinbase-style purge of the dribbling moron cohort on their staff.

Ultimately, Google and Facebook (and Twitter) are ancient behemoths now, in internet terms. And while their current market share makes them powerful and their Bill-Gates-esque habit of buying up innovative competition to shut it down gives that power teeth, they have become very "uncool", and all the while they reveal themselves as being committed to pushing a particular narrative.

Whether people agree with that narrative or not, the more forward-looking (or perhaps, backward-looking) and intelligent can generally see the problem with an unholy alliance of internet behemoths, corporate media companies and governments coming together to decide what people ought to be allowed to watch or listen to and which ideas are not permitted. So it's natural and right that people will look for alternatives to censorious corporations.

The main problem with that thus far has been that the same corporations and governments have control of the infrastructure that underpins "the internet". The mantra has always been "If you don't like it, build your own Twitter/Facebook/YouTube!" - which was all well and good until Parler tried it and ended up being kicked out of Bezos-owned Amazon Web Services, taking their site offline, and smeared by the corporate media as being the place where Jan 6 2021 protests on the US Capitol were organised. The fact that far more communication between protest attendees occurred on Facebook and Twitter was neither here nor there, because the ultimate goal of the shut down was to stop those who had been deemed beyond the pale by corporate media and tech behemoths from having any place to speak online.

That was bad for Parler but good for the future of the internet, since it has spurred people outside of the mainstream and committed to principles (as distinct from laws) of free speech to begin creating infrastructure of their own, getting involved in Fediverse projects and the like, so as to circumvent the ability of the world's richest few to control all online speech and communication.

At the same time, the effect of big tech companies pushing even marginally off-narrative opinions (no matter their merit or accuracy) away from mainstream social media is slowly creating a mainstream social media landscape that is excessively populated by extreme left-wing posters and increasingly hostile to anyone remotely moderate. That leads more and more people to seek out alternatives, and more and more of those alternatives to consequently become much more rich and diverse places for discussion. People who are not authoritarian by nature generally prefer a wider Overton window, see the merit in "sunlight as disinfectant" for bad ideas, and understand that enlightenment ideals of open debate and discussion are the best way to avoid the sort of epistemic ghettoisation that leads to radicalisation. When they find it, they stick around.

So yes, YouTube are a private company and they can do what they want, but in any case I don't see their removal of the dislike button as being that big of a deal. IMO they have already passed the peak of their relevance.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Unfortunately de-monetization is quite random without any logic.

Good luck with that. Pretty much every single private company in existence has an agenda. Every single one. "Not having an agenda" is an agenda in, and of, itself.

Youtube is in the advertising business.....all they care about is clicks and revenue generated from those clicks. They don't care if those clicks come from the left, right, centrists, libertarians.....it all spends the same. What they DO care about, is their name being dragged through the mud when they're associated with anything negative. So they have their own Ts and Cs to keep people broadly in line with what's acceptable and what isn't. Nobody is banned for anything, unless they're in breach of those Ts & Cs. If you want to keep your account, then don't act the maggot and you'll be fine.

There are literally a million right-wing / Conservative / Tory / whatever-way-you-want-to-frame-it YT channels out there uploading content daily. They manage to keep going by not falling foul of the policy around acceptable content. It's really that simple. There's no panel of blue-haired lesbian vegans sitting around a table deciding which conservatives to ban next, there's just a team of underpaid techs reviewing flagged content and reconciling it against what is and is not allowed. Mess around and it's the ban-hammer for you, my friend.

Also, re: your last line.........both sport and politics are all about picking a side. It's literally their raison d'etre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

ad block on chrome zaps the ads for me. But I can't do this on my iPhone 5 without the latest iOS software... even when not logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think as long as you can give negative comments and they can be upvoted then this doesn't really matter that much. I don't see youtube disappearing or being caught by its competitors Any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Like many things, the internet was a bastion of freedom to people when it was in its infancy and like everything else governments and large corporations don’t want this, This is just another step on regulating the internet and social media. This is just the way things are going to go, all it will take though is for someone to sense a gap for a video sharing site that was like the old YouTube but without all the extremist nonsense on the likes of bitchute and everyone will jump ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Internet is far too large and nebulous to be one thing or the other, imo. There are services which exist on the Internet that over time allow for less expression by its user base, but there are also places like 4Chan/8Chan which allow users to do virtually anything they want, although being allowed to do anything you want definitely has a very dark side to it as well.

As for Youtube, removing public dislike counts will be a change that p*sses off a sizable chunk of its users, but that sizable chunk would almost certainly still be a drop in the ocean compared to its overall base, who'll continue using the service. Internet users are basically like jellyfish - and I don't mean that in some superior way - I just mean that they will somehow drift to and congregate at the place where they need to be and offers the most to them. They won't just do so on principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Philipmcnill

The assumption of the Internet would be total freedom of opinion and speech. Unfortunately, censorship and manipulation by large corporations has shattered this premise. As always, it's just about making money. Lary Page who discovered Google made the mistake of dismissing this invention practically for free. It was to serve as the good of mankind, as were the seat belts, which the inventor also did not patent the design. History teaches that if you do not patent something because you have good intentions, there will always be someone who will make money on it.

Advertisement