Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Youtube cancels public dislike count on videos.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, in that case, I can't help you lad if effort is the blocker. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly YouTube is a mine of shite. But there's stuff up there that's worth looking at. But nothing is worth sitting through copious amounts of ads for and I don't really believe that there's going to be a really viable alternative any time in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can see my alternative being just not bothering with it. Yeah, it has some good stuff, but it's no longer worth it really. Like everything these days, it's all about making money.

Sure it's all about making money. But fuck em. If I can get around that, I will, even if it takes a couple of steps.

Hate ads at the best of times. but if I want to watch something as low level as a YouTube vid...sod that. No way I'm sitting through ads for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Thank you.

On my pixel book I had to install it with adb but it was straightforward. You have saved me about 30 minutes per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Who gives a fiddlers if you cant see the dislikes but the owner can? Surely its feedback to them and not to you? sure you dont even know who left what feedback.

Also, those of you complaining are posting on a forum that no longer supports down voting and only upvoting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EtonMess

YouTube should focus on getting rid of the scam advertising. Any time on the site recently it seems I am confronted with a 38min advert for a binary trading scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Of course it's about making money. Few businesses are in the habit of providing their services for free and running Youtube must cost quite a bit.

I agree that with the other poster saying Youtube has passed the peak of its relevance in the sense that it's no longer the only video platform popularly being used, but I think its usefulness remains unparalleled. You can find old documentaries from 1987 on there that would have been lost to history if someone hadn't recorded it on VHS at the time, stuck it in their attic and then decided to digitise it three decades later. No other platform has that, to that degree. It's an absolutely unbelievable archive, really, even with the draconian copyright strike policy. Something like Tik-Tok, on the other hand, is very surface level.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

A big shame for all the racists who spend their days disliking videos and posts on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ultimately it's all about business.

If YouTube wants to let down a few billions users, other similar outlets will sure benefit from it.

Rumble has been growing and will continue to do so

I think you're vastly overestimating the amount of people who will be "let down" by not being able to downvote a video that they were probably only watching to hate on in the first place.

The vast majority of people won't give a shit about this.

I'm pretty sure "billions" aren't planning to move to a far right wing platform. Eg Bitchute and Parler invariably are home to bottom feeders and covid conspiracies. They cover a niche of pretty dodgy types more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

As long as they retain their sometimes toxic comments section Youtube will continue to be strong. I think the issue for me would only be judging which how-to instruction videos in youtube to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It was pretty much made because businesses were making virtue related marketing videos and getting a raft of downvotes.

The Gillette ad got absolutely battered from it. I think the recent John Lewis one got it too. Its basically social engineering to make people believe that these things are really popular and nobody disagrees with it.

Media have really struggled with the generation that was able to talk back to them. Setting the agenda became harder. Now they are fighting back with disabling dislikes, blocking or hiding comments and so forth. Although it's more akin to a failing dictator than senses dissatisfaction from the masses. Make sure they cannot disagree. Suppress thought. Everyone thinks this way, fall in line.

Dictators usually fall ina brutal fashion, however.

Who was getting downvoted the most recently? Biden

Advertisement