Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If it’s any further consolation, the collector’s editions are full of overpriced tat 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I dunno, I'm happy to pay for it. It all comes down to personal choice. I find it my way of giving back to the studio and publisher for a very eagrly awaited game on my wishlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

PS5 stocks surfaced again on GS after my post - so nabbed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Network test code arrived, looking forward to seeing the thing in action over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah hope i get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The times are terrible for me as I'm away for Saturday and Sunday. I think the only slot I'm able for is 3am on Saturday morning 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah I entered code without time checking at best it'll be a few hours on the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wohoo!

Looking forward to getting some time this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Video and streams are live now from those who got early access of the network test

You forgot Vaati Eoin

https://youtu.be/R9DWTt37khU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Looks great, also looks like it allows for some ridiculously OP builds so I might actually be able to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭recyclops

Played it for around an hour test, I know its just a systems test but I found it ridiculous easy and didnt come close to dying :(

Hopefully when I get more time into it I start to fail. It does look beautiful though and plays very smooth

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Another interesting video from Vaati:

Unlike you i died lots, especially to that Tree Sentinel.

Some bosses are easy, others are a massive pain in the arse. But i feel like the game has been dumbed down in difficulty and in the cost of things to encourage people to stick with the 3 hour windows.

Some streamers have said that some super strong spells are stupid cheap to buy, probably just to test them.

Goddamn am i only person who applied for the test and didn't get it?

I hope it's only for the network test they've made it easier because the challenge it provides is one of its big positives of DS.

• Advertisement

Nope :( I got the dark souls 3 network test, thought I'd get this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Managed to get 90 minutes playtime in the network test over night. Bit bleary eyed now but glad I got to try it. It was always going to be a purchase for me in February but I'm really really excited to play the full game now.

I spent most of my time meandering around clearing out camps and exploring. Only found out after I played how to get the horse so disappointed I won't get to try that.

The graphics are definitely a step up from Dark Souls 3 but not as good as Demons Souls which is understandable as it's open world with dynamic lighting. Game felt smooth and only occasional hitches.

Gameplay was great. Seems like unlimited running stamina and jumping felt natural.

Played a good two hour stretch tonight. Enough to give a feel for the game but going to hold off now until the full thing’s out to properly delve in.

It’s open world Dark Souls. That’s obvious, but it’s really open world Dark Souls. Perhaps fool on me for expecting a more dramatic departure from the formula, but if you slapped Dark Souls 4 on the title screen you wouldn’t be too far off (new lore aside). Now obviously it’s been changed in some significant ways to accommodate the new structure, but you’ll be right at home if you’ve played any of these games before. Controls, UI, mechanics, combat, enemy design, movement… a lot of it is very familiar.

The changes are intriguing though. The summons are the biggest change to the flow of combat - they really do make fights quite a bit easier, so this could well be a more accessible entry point to the series depending on where the final balance passes end up. Ditto a very generous shield counter which is very rewarding for relatively minimal risk. Didn’t get a chance to try the weapon arts thing but they look interesting in videos I’ve seen. And mounted combat definitely adds some welcome new depth to proceedings.

It’s a beta so not much definitive to be said. It’s not the boldest swing from From tbh, but it does seem like the good kind of open world - full of corners worth poking around in, with lots and lots of proper side bosses and loot to find. I’d still be keen for From to try something really different… but they make a damn good one of these things, so looking forward to delving in properly in February.

Geoff teasing that there may be some Elden Ring coverage at The Game Awards, the saucy minx.

Cinematic/story trailer from TGA;

Nice and obscure. Just the way I like my Fromsoft games.

It would be nice, for once, to understand the story as I am playing the game instead of watching a 30 min Vaati video that explains it to me after I have finished it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One of the best things about these games is they leave the lore and story as optional. I prefer to just wallow in the art and atmosphere and let that wash over me and really don't need lore dumps and endless cutscenes. They would be much worse games with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought Sekiro struck a good balance in that regard. There were a few cutscenes and story beats, but even then much of the story and lore was hidden behind optional paths, item descriptions, and basically all the stuff people like Vaati pick up on.

But the general story of most of the souls games is really just "These lands are corrupted, kill the bosses, steal their essence, make sh*t be good again. Off you pop!"

• Advertisement

I get that, and I 100% understand why people like it the way it is but IMO there is leaving the lore and story optional and then there is putting behind a brick wall. I don't want them to dumb it down or spell it out, I just don't want to have to read a load of item descriptions to figure out the basics of the plot. There is definitely a middle ground that would suit everyone.

Bloodborne is one of my favourite games ever, but my first time through I had absolutely no **** clue what was going on. I was still confused after watching Vaati's breakdown.

Advertisement