Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who - Season 13 - (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Orphan 55 was the apotheosis of what you're saying: for me that was the more brazen attempt to tap the kind of camp wackiness of the RTD era. The mixture of the outlandish with the ordinary, but it was (for me anyway) one of the worst Who episodes in years. It came off like a mockery of modern Who.

But then I also wonder how much of this are mandates from the BBC; the show feels very locked into a certain "type" and one wonders if the BBC simply not wanting the kind of wheeling tone you used to get with the show in the 70s (where even in the space of a single Doctor you went from Gothic Horror to Douglas Adams farce). Dr. Who is a brand, and you don't dick around with brands.

I think Whitaker is the right actor, she has just been singularly failed by the writing department. And to be fair I don't get the impression that criticism has focused on her personally - or indeed her gender. In fact, it was probably a bit embarrassing that there seemed to be more buzz around Jo Martin's mystery Doctor than the ostensible "current" version. She had a presence about her Whitaker lacked.

Maybe Whitaker's just too much the kinda actor who needs a script to define her role; while historically, it's understood the actor brings the persona and energy, which is then retrofitted into the scripts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say it'd be weird watching season 1 all over again; all the danger and peril was immediate and localised, even if the threat had potential to endanger the whole earth. Stuff like Father's Day or Dalek practically bottle episodes. But it was Davies himself who kept upping the stakes, establishing the show as this ludicrously sized show cos he would try to one-up each season - his last imperiling the whole of creation IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really dislike distorted voices when explaining things. Like when Yaz was asking about the temple, I could only make out the odd word from the floating robot thingy.

So Dan gets kidnapped by a dog and rescued before being brought to the war and suddenly he's an expert in taking on aliens?

Trying to remember but did it show in the first episode where that big guy came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Do you mean the black fella? He was on a space station getting destroyed

As for the audio - yeah terrible throughout, all the background sound was drowning out the voices in multiple places

I mean the big guy with the 2 Skeletor looking villains whose names I don't remember.

• Advertisement

They must have picked him up on the way - don't apply logic to the show

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah he showed up out of no where alright. It did feel like they were trying to cram so much in to the first episode that they chose to introduce him from no where in the second.

No idea though how they got rid of the Sontatrans in Liverpool. Definitely a solution where we need to just accept what they did and assume all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It is like they are throwing loads of things against a wall and hope something sticks.

But would you expect anything else from Chibnall anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Finally caught up on first two.

I like the look of Mr & Mrs Skeletor. Decent acting from them.

Flux thing is interesting. But completely disjointed.

Sontarans are silly as ever.

Agree about the sound, I'm having trouble hearing the words.

Story is definitely fast paced.

When did Victorian lad arrive on the temple place?

Who is the Skeletor bodyguard. The Women who the weeping angels sent back?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

I fear this is starting up to be some disjointed mess til the end and then suddenly everything gets solved in 5 minutes

There's 2 specials to come? Wish Chibnall would just hand over the reins now - the show has been terrible since he took over, say what you want about RTD but he knew how to weave a story, Chibnall seems to make the story up as he goes

Correct.

Why didnt they just do the specials a la Tennant and be done with it.

Wasting all that money as well.

I enjoyed episode 2 way more than the first, must be honest; good pacing, sense of escalating threat etc. Good use of the historical setting. The story held together much better and an effective use of the Sontarans as a distraction for the main threat. The two big bads look like some kind of disco nightmare via Día de los Muertos, but they're being played well; nice mix of camp and legitimate threat. Good episode.

Dr. who has always had a problem with resolving its stories though, predating Chibnall so can't blame him entirely. Blathered techobabble followed by a pat, hasty resolution (sometimes as a literal reset button). So this episode's own didn't particularly offend TBH; rare an episode has a good ending.

As to the disparate threads feeling a bit random; well I think a "wait and see" attitude is probably best. Yes it's a little shotgun blasted, but TBH we've never had a season of Who this brazenly serialised. If it all comes together then cool. On the basis of a punchier follow up, I'm back onboard this dawdle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I also thought the second episode was an improvement. It seemed much more focused - be it a combination of the script, directing or both. The villains, as pixelburp said, are acted with just the right amount of arch and menace (something Chib's also did well with the Master last year). Bishop's doing well so far as a good common man.

The fate-of-everything-ever is a tired trope at this point but maybe it'll be able to limp with a bit of grace in the final few episodes.

Am I alone in thinking this is this a mess? No idea whats going on half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Never had a season of DW this serialised? This is how Doctor Who started out with Hartnell. The Dalek Masterplan was played out over 12 episodes and a prequel.

Correct,

It is getting like the Walking Dead, where I am just watching it at this point to see what happens at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh thank God. Thought it was me being the old man. Thought the dialog was a bit easier to hear this time but the last couple, yeah, the music and noise just drowned out the dialogue. TBH, I haven't watched much of Dr. Who the last couple of years. I enjoy Jodie Whittaker but I found that from about the last Matt Smith season on, they cranked up the music/background so much that it drowned out the dialogue. It seemed to improve a bit for a while with Capaldi but then revered to form. I get it, people want bombast but not all the time at 100%. You start at 100% then where do you go? Up to 11?

I REALLY like Bishop as just a decent bloke caught up in it. Mind you, I liked Bradley Walsh too.

Chibnall must have been on drugs with this episode

Meandering mess, I know it's a kids show but has a large adult audience and the show has become more like a comic book than a Sci fi show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it somewhat.

I'd consider myself a somewhat intelligent fellow,

But, I'm finding myself getting awfully confused in these episodes. A lot of jumping around the place.

I also dont get how the Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans are taking advantage of the Flux, surely it would gobble them all up too.

Weeping Angels playing with time or using the break in time makes sense, since zapping people back in time is kinda their food source.

But didnt we already cover this break in time stuff with the crack in the all thinge (11th Doctor)?

Edit: just after reading that I realise I do miss those seasons with Amy & The Doctor.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

So the Doctor is annoyed at Yaz but patient with the others.

I like Dan but feel he's very one note. Like saying "I have to get to her" the same way he speaks normally and no sign of emotion at seeing her, even just walking toward her rather than rushing.

So is the Bel and Vinder story going to take up part of each episode? How long does her pregnancy last? Vinder was seemingly posted in that station for a long time before the flux then post flux, Bel is acting like she has been surviving for a long time as well, unless that's just due to time messing with things. Yet she's not showing yet.

With the door seemingly on the floor, would they have been able to just walk into the TARDIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

Doctor Who: Flux – We Hope This Bel and Vinder Theory Isn’t True

A few elements of Bel and Vinder’s story are being interpreted to support a theory that they will turn out to be the Doctor’s parents. The couple’s unborn baby, some theorise, will somehow be the child discovered long ago by Gallifreyan space traveller Tecteun, who, as we learned in the Series 12 finale ‘The Timeless Children’ used the child as the genetic template for the regenerating Time Lords.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Chibnall seems to be going about it all backwards.

Usually when telling one story over many episodes you can say its like one episode is a chapter. Episode 1 is chapter 1. Episode 2 is chapter 2 and you get the idea. A structure building up.

Chibnall has wrote this totally out of whack and its confusing. There's so much what's going on again moments. I get that he is building up for everything to come together however build up with something that makes sense. It's almost like "ahh, I'll make episode 1 chapter 3. Then episode 2 chapter 2" etc. Ugh.

Looks like Whitaker's final adventure will be an episode next year in the autumn; or so said the BBC. So I guess Flux finishes up in totality, or we get a cliffhanger ending.

A little behind the curve here so only got to episode 3 last night. This is definitely going to be a season that'll live or die on how well Chibnall ties it all together. It may even work best as something binged than watched piecemeal.

I'm so bewildered by half the threads, yet sticking with the belief that it's all structural timey-wimey - and will come good in the end. I liked Vinder's backstory, and was a nice "grounded" piece of space adventure we don't see in Who. Same with Bel; Nu Who has become a show fixated with running at 11 at all times; these segues made for an enjoyable switch of pace

All that said ...

I had that immediate suspicion as soon as we learned Bel was pregnant. I had an awful feeling that's precisely where we're going and given she's living in a decaying universe - one that's...

"timeless", if you will, then maybe that'd have an effect on the unborn child. It was the biggest, most glaring mystery that remained with the Timeless Child idea, but had presumed Chibnall had enough smarts to leave it open for future writers to touch - if they wanted. Leaving nothing unexplained is giving RTD the biggest poisoned chalice.

I'd not bat an eyelid if RTD just reset the whole show and universe. Not to erase what came before but simply rejig via a big event.

Now they are going to shag around with things like people being sent back in time by the Angels....that would take the legs from underneath these creatures.

Plus the ending will require a huge reset.

Its a pity as the basis was there for a good episode, but I found it to be too much of a change in the direction of the Angels.

Haven't watched yet but ah no, hate this reset idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Poor Jodie gets burdened with so much dialogue however it all seems to be mainly self-narration or exposition. She doesn't get to do a lot, does she?

I thought the third episode was a mess. Fourth episode was ok but it does feel like Chibnall is trying to bring every Who villain in for a cameo at this stage.

Correct

And is it all linking together ?

It does not feel like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Another thing I don't understand is the time aspect of this, are Vinder and Bel from the future? Are Division from the future, we know they're from the Doctor's past but are they still active.

Advertisement