Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who - Season 13 - (**Spoilers**)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assume she didn't open the watch due to being afraid of what she'd learn about herself. Or more than likely it was because Chibnall didn't want to come up with a whole new history apart from what he's already done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think it more likely he's saving it for the other specials in which case throwing it away is a lazy delay tactic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I swear I had read an interview with Chibnall, where he explained Flux was an attempt to write a story around CoVid, and that might explain why it was so scattershot at times. characters popping up randomly without sense; pandemic shooting schedules would have likely reduced availability or numbers. Not to excuse things, but might explain a little.

The resolution was barely satisfying; it came together but scarcely in any coherent, structured fashion. More than a few segues proved to be pointless deadends - though it was fun to give Sontarans some serious time to shine (having been turned into comedy sidekicks via Strax). The editing though was really bad in places; not something I usually notice TBH.

And I'm not even going to touch whatever the fúck now passes for the universe at the end of that. Severely reduced I guess? Not like anyone thought to write a moment with the Doctor showing sadness for the trillions dead, and millions of galaxies presumably destroyed.

Bring on a reboot I say.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with a recent universe ending event in comics but didn't they say the Earth was going to be the last to be destroyed? So if they haven't reversed it somehow, then everything else has been wiped out.

Of course there's that whole new universe sitting there, though don't know if that's populated in any way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apologies if already posted but there's a trailer for the Xmas episode: and notwithstanding the inevitable return of the usuals, a time loop episode feels like the blindingly obvious concept rarely (if ever?) done in Dr Who. Am I right? Right this minute I can't think of a time the show did the kind of time loop we see so much of these days....

• Advertisement

I'd love a fun episode of Doctor Who again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

An hour was too long to keep repeating the same action again and again, and then with 5 minutes to go come up with some quick solution.....

Jodies acting was good, but again she had very little to work with.

Chibnall is no good, delighted he is on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That was an atrocious story, got bored with it very quickly and we're to just forget the Flux seeing as they were gonna fly off to another planet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's being reported that Yaz (Mandip Gill) and Dan (John Bishop) are scheduled to leave along with Jodie later in the year.

Not exactly surprising as theres always a clean house when a new show runner takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,363 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will they split the Doctor in two and let Yaz and the Doctor go off to a parallel universe like Rose and the Doctor and live happily ever after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Whatever became of Pearl Mackie?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Good, haven't taken to any this doctors companions, better yet do a Dallas reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

She still seems to be doing a few bits and pieces. She last did a 4-part series in 2020, and she has a couple of indie-looking movies in pre/post production and a show with Hannah Waddingham. So a good bit going for her at the moment :)

It's the most fun I've had since Chibnall took over. Aisling Bea was great. Definitely another one that you can't think too much about; how come the Doctor and the companions always start the loop back at the TARDIS if it's meant to be a minute later, we're supposed to believe that Nick is too shy to ask out Sarah yet he clearly has no trouble asking other women out. Yaz again is completely underserved and the love story whilst I have issues with it, it seems like a last minute attempt to make the finale more original. It's clearly not something that was planned from the get-go.

Did anyone remember the guy who appeared at the end? I had to google him. At first I thought it was Ewan Bremner, aka Spud from Trainspotting. Even looking him up, I thought it was a random appearance. Thought it was setting up an appearance in future episodes like they did with John Bishop's appearance at the end of last season.

I'm sure with 5 minutes of thinking the logic of the time loop would fall apart, but honestly? I was having more fun in that single episode than much of what turned out to be just-actual-bollix that was Flux. Most of that fun often came via Aisling Bea, having an absolute blast as the guest star, while for once the Daleks felt like a decent threat - mostly cos they got to actually exterminate folks.

Yaz/Doctor I couldn't give a shít about though, and kinda says much that having failed to give Sheffield anything to do, she's palmed off as another lovesick companion. At least Martha/Clara actually had a bit of an arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Really late to the game here.

Originally gave up on Chibnall/Whittaker Who after the season of watching paint dry that was season 11. Decided to give season 12 another chance a few weeks ago and while it has its flaws, it was much much better than season 11 imo.

"Flux", I'd probably agree with most of the sentiments here. There's some good stuff in there but far too many ideas thrown together with and not enough payoff with each. Reminds me of the writing for "Star Trek Picard" in that regard where the writers didn't have the confidence to focus on fleshing out one or two solid ideas, instead throwing everything in the hopes something would stick and disappointing with the payoff at the end.

The "Grand Serpent/Unit" arc: I think this would have worked really well as a standalone story. Craig Parkinson was great at playing a villain and having Unit infiltrated over time by a time travelling hostile alien presence is an interesting idea that deserved its own story.

I enjoyed Whittaker's performance, I think she turned out to be a good choice to play the Doctor, though I would have loved to have seen more Jo Martin. With the "Division" elements, I thought we would have gotten more screen-time for her.

"Division": This was a disappointment. Considering they turned out to be the central antagonist of the whole story, we saw very little. Which is a pity, because with the Doctor's secret past, this was potentially the more interesting element. Maybe we'll see more in "Power of the Doctor", I dunno.

John Bishop was okay but I think keeping Bradley Walsh would have worked better. (I'm glad Ryan's gone, bit of a useless character).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Sontarans are an over-rated villain.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement