Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

"Insofar as the economy isn't great after brexit, it is because of the EU bullying plucky Britain & insofar as it's not that, it's these silly climate change rules".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not like this tactic of moving the goalposts hasn't worked so far; in this case, the right wing media just has to write some twaddle about "sovereignty" allowing Britain to write it's own, naturally superior, environmental law now they're clear of Brussels and their Draconian versions. Throw in some "bendy banana" style nonsense and there you go. Legislations gutted to rounds of applause from those likely to suffer the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

"Legislations gutted to rounds of applause from those likely to suffer the most."

Great line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw one writer / blogger suggesting during the week that a UK referendum on zero emissions would go exactly the same way as the Brexit one. The No side would be funded by dark money from God knows where and all sorts of propaganda and misleading info would be put out in order to confuse voters (and no doubt the right wing press would come down on the side of the No crowd).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can't have a referendum on "zero emissions". I know the UK has a strange relationship with referendums but zero emissions is not a single issue so can't be voted on. If you vote "no" to zero emissions can the government still do 0.00001 emissions

• Advertisement

I imagine the vote would be on whether the UK should 'aim' for (or legislate to try and achieve) zero emissions by 2050.

Seems slightly weird that the climate change deniers think a UK referendum will solve all their problems, but that's where we are.

Ya but that's my point it's utter BS. What does aim for mean, does a no vote mean government can't try for any climate action or just action that doesn't lead to zero.

A referendum is utterly stupid. Better to have an anti Green party which I'm sure one of the UKIP/Brexit/NF/BNP/football lads association parties will become soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Considering that having a party like UKIP/BREXIT/BNP is what pushed a conservative government to do the last stupid referendum and that stupid refertendum equally had a "what does Brexit mean?" quandry around it. Having an anti green party doesnt say a stupid referendum is completely off the books.

I mean of the last 3 referendums in the uk, 2 of them were from conservatives being pushed by smaller parties activities pushing them into it (and them not wanting them)

By that track record I wont be surprised at some sort of anti green referendum does get shipped around in a decade or so.

Question: I note that an unexpected failure to increase interest rates cause GBP to lose 1% of its value.

I wonder if the failure was part of a preparation for the looming trade war?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All of their "plans" around Brexit have been predicated on the mythical notion that "the EU always fold at the last moment".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If they do invoke A16 (in bad faith as expected) then I hope if the EU response is to suspend the TCA (9 months notice required I gather) that the EU follows through with the suspension unless the NIP is sorted once and for all during the 9 months notice period. We cannot be played like a fiddle by the UK testing its boundaries. The suspension should be announced quickly and any reversal of this decision should be announced as late as possible after as much damage has been done to the UK economy over the threat of no-deal. They need to feel a bit more iron fist and a bit less velvet glove from the EU. The days of caring what Brexiteers think are over. Ireland can do piecemeal spot checks on goods along the border while our French, Belgian and Dutch colleagues check every box of "British" bananas arriving on their shores.

It's intriguing that they see a referendum as a weapon to be used 'against' the government and to force them to change tack. A complete perversion of how referendums are held in nearly democracy in the world. Everywhere else, the government holds a referendum in order to help them enact legislative change ; change that they have decided on and are in favour of.

They (the Brexity types and their press pals) see it as something that can be used to subvert the government and the parliament and force them to bow to 'the will of the people'.

Spot on post. Cameron called 3 referendums all of which the government then campaigned to vote against. Completely backwards use of the system

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭farmerval

I know little enough of these things, but it seems the Bank of England had given quite strong hints/guidance that interest rates would be lifted in November and then failed to do it, and indeed last weeks commentary from them was quite watery around future rate rises. The Sterling fall was a reaction to the failure to carry through what they had been forecasting. The second part is that they seem to be reluctant to add any pressure onto their economy. (which might hint at worries about their direction of travel)

Accept all that - I wonder if any of that was directly influenced by a UK government telling them to prepare for war.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Torygraph saying that an EU diplomat said said EU is prepared for war with UK.

Dangerous stuff for Ireland. We must try to placate UK as much as possible, despite our views on UK government.

We have the most to lose.

'Trade war' of course. I'm not sure we're that exposed though - we already have a hard customs border with GB (in the Irish Sea) and have diverted a lot of trade via Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭I told ya

As The Telegraph is behind a paywall, can you advise is it a trade war they are talking about? Surely, talk about anything else is unbelievable stuff.

In the event of a trade war, we would really need the support of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Placate them how? We already got the EU to agree to bending the rules of the club to allow for the unique position of NI.

What more do you think Ireland should do. As Johnson and Frost said at the time, this deal was incredible and was a clear win for the UK.

No the souce just said War.

Perhaps trade war was what they meant but nevertheless dangerous stuff.

• Advertisement

Not giving Theresa May anything over the backstop led to her getting the boot and Boris coming in.

UK are a large and important country from an Irish point of view in so many ways, culturally and economically.

At some point, they may have to be given what they wanted and we can move on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is what the bulk of the UK press do. They create a story by delibveratley misinterpreting something or by creating a false narrative. I wouldn't place much faith in anything they publish.

The Express currently has this nonsense on their website...

...and this bizarre headline...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No. Not what so ever.

Your analysis is incredibly flawed of the notion that we owe the UK anything. We don't. And we will and should continue to divert trade away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

I completely disagree with you here - that would just be allowing the UK to divide and conquer as they have done for centuries. This is an EU-UK battle, and we are part of it. Getting cold feet and panicking, and allowing the UK to bully us into a poor situation would be a very poor strategy. It would also just embolden the UK to keep pushing their luck.

And unless you have a personal reason to be afraid of any trade war - maybe your business is exposed? - I can't see why you would even be talking this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

And, so…what is it that the UK wanted,then?

And on the evidence of past performance, how does the EU27 giving the UK ‘what it wanted’, avoids new asks from the UK within weeks?

Nonsense on a stick with a rainbow tie.

Ireland is a full and valued member of the EU. The UK is, by now and to all intents and purposes, a failed state. Ireland gains nothing from appeasing the UK, besides strife with the other 26 member states, and maybe a rethorical pat on the head from Rees Mogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

While I don't share "hotmail.com's" point of view, i have to concur in a round about sort of way.

I believe the UK are betting that Ireland buckles and will agree to carry their water for them, regards the EU and SM.

And I think they may be correct on that.

Can hardly have confidence in the current government.

I suppose Ireland will offer a fudge of the issue: 'checks away from border", but ultimately we'll get pushed toward checks between Ireland and France.

To 'keep the peace' you know.

How can we agree to "carry their water" ?

The only options would be a hard border or Ireland leaves the single market and the second is a complete non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The Daily Telegraph...would not seem to be a great source for what is going on in the EU/EU member states.

I don't really see the problem with "someone" saying "prepare for war" here anyway, and the meaning is obvious so interpreting the quote some other more literal way is dishonest.

Endless fighting, struggle, daring battles + winning "victories" over the EU again and again seems to be what the UK govt. want. What is the EU to do? Maybe ultimately dissolve itself, the Single Market and the Customs Union to oblige UK govt and Tory party so Brexit can be a great success for Global Britain? The discussions on how to implement NI protocol will run out of road at some point (edit: given UK have no intention of doing so at present), and then all that's left is to try and force the UK to implement it (or very worst case just punish them for breaking the agreement). The EU should be ready for that.

I think Ireland is doing the best it can in almost impossible circumstances. What else can the govt. here do? Only thing that would really "placate" the UK Brexiters on this issue is I think their hope of Ireland having to distance itself from the EU, accepting a sort of half-membership with Customs between it + rest of the member states. That's what this is all about, what they are aiming & hoping for with all the hoo-hah over NI.

Even if everything turned out just perfectly for them and that (somehow) happened, Ireland is a small country in the end, and it distancing itself from EU in this way is not actually going to break up the EU, so I really think it would be just onward and upward to next point of conflict/struggle for the UK once NI has finally served its use.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Ah there's plenty of room to try and fudge the issues breezy1985.

That's what all that 'checks away from the border' is all about.

• Advertisement

Could be that Ireland accepts goods with British standards, and anything moving off the island to the EU is Ireland's responsibility.

Advertisement