Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protest

• 07-11-2021 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I am a member of the tractor protest group that last held a protest in Dublin City centre January 2020 and November 2019

We have massive support once again as we are planning another protest in the coming weeks.

I hope to have a date early next week .we need to get out to fight for our rights to live and the survival of family farms in rural Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭farmertipp

aren't ifa holding a protest in Dublin later this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Yes block the m50 again to show rural Wexford to Dublin commuters how it’s their fault. You fucked up any goodwill you had before that brain fart. I had to get cattle to the factory that evening and wife lost 2and half hours on the road. Costing me 3 hours childminding of small kids from a woman who equally hard shipped as had to had to bring them with her to to sit with her terminally ill dementia suffering 86 year old mother.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Not tractors this time lads,wrong message all together at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Blocking Dublin with big tractors will achieve f#ck all. If anything it will destroy the last bit of goodwill for farmers. People in Dublin are feeling the same squeezes we are. If you are planning a protest, plan a march. At least other people might join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Ifa will have to get their point across about climate damage done by all the plastic junk imported from China ,unnesserary air travel and what about all the throwaway clothes imported from the far east .Why dont the goverment TAX THIS SHLT .I have no problem then paying my share!!

• Advertisement

Where is the idea coming from that a cut in the herd will hurt is? The ifa is looking to mind the big boys with big farms of good land on good payments where actual beef price means absolutely nothing.

Poor aul Tim looks like a man trying to hold a fart in every picture lately... They are haemorrhaging money and havent got a Fine Gael minister.

I think a march would be better. met alot of goodwill in Cork City last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's stupid, especially if they carry on like the last time. I'd guess it's a march that IFA are organising with 5 or 6 tractors up front

I think there's a truck protest coming this month, they'll probably try to link with that, that's the reason they can't give a date too, truckers haven't decided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's all down to the optics. Parking 20 large tractors, in a glorified tractor run, will not get the public on board. Might be better to bring up a box with a lock of gates and a few quiet cattle and baa baa. Make a pen and camp out with them. Having the public come in contact with animals could be a game changer.

Getting the media onside will dictate the narrative that is sold to the public is key.

Wish ye the best of luck if ye avoid the tractor run

ifa are not great at times at managing optics of theses things . plus a plant based media trying to make farmers look like indifferent lugs doesn't help

• Advertisement

There's a lot of complaints on boards about how good the farmer lobby is,, they must be doing something right

not condemning ifa at all. I don't agree with the way the pat Smith thing was handled. he was a real business man . I think factions breaking off have done nothing but cause division but still I think main farm organisations got a hearing

Farmers are a weak lobby now, smiths replacement is weak too, Hopefully the govt and Civil service are too sleepy for another while and haven't noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was looking at the tractor protest Facebook page and it definitely seems it’s just going to be a day out for the flashing beacons brigade.

it will reflect poorly to inconvenience ordinary folk commuting to their jobs and home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If the general public realised just how close the transport sector is to collapsing they might be able to be inconvenienced for a couple of hours, diseal bill per lorry here is up 3400 euro on average a month compared to last year and rates haven't went up a cent to compensate, its only so long that the vast majority of truckers will stay at it, before pulling the pin

"They" won't give a **** until the job collapses. It's the inherent problem in working as a price taker. It's expected that if one haulage co. can't make the figures add up, another will step in to fill the gap. Whether they're profitable or loss making, that's their problem. Anytime I go to buy something, like the spirit level I got in the builders supply last week, it's stump up the price or F off. The fault lies in the price taker model of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The tipping point is/has been reached in fairness, labour is the huge issue now, even if haulage companies are prepared to operate at a loss getting a driver/drivers is nearly impossible even where very good money is on offer, a very interesting sector to keep a eye on is milk haulage next year, alot of men are retiring from it, cutting back on lorries as can't get drivers, certain co-ops are/where notorious for messing around with rates and generally treating lorry men like dirt, it could all come home to roast next April/may at peak milk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭tanko

I read reports where dairy farmers in England had to dump milk because no lorry came to collect it.

In my area lorries from Glanbia and Lakeland are driving around the same roads collecting milk, meeting other on narrow roads and lanes, not much sense to that.

I’d say it’s only a matter of time until Glanbia and Lakeland merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Oh great... massively inconvenience the people you are supposed to represent (rural people/part time farmers) by stopping people commuting home to rural areas. Last time it took me 2 hours extra to get home and i still had the work/checks i do in the evenings to complete. Bunch of clowns.

Transport rates need a rise

”Hit the diff” loving intellectually challenged arrogant morons…

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Biscuitus

Do not block up Dublin with tractors. Plan a march about fuel prices and rally the transport/truck etc industries behind it.

Everyone in Ireland is just looking to blow at anything. If you inconvenience the general public like that farming will lose all support. They'll be ranting about it for weeks on social media and the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm hard pressed to find what they are actually protesting for? This herd cull that's not actually happening? The reduction of methane that we don't have specific details on? Transport issues caused by Brexit that affects every sector, not just farming? The same goes for the fuel price increases. All it will do is piss off regular commuters and solve nothing. The IFA might get their photo op from it though, so that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Richard Nolan of Nolan Transport was the first thing on today's Morning mix on southeast radio this morning.

This is all right up your street Jay.

https://www.southeastradio.ie/on-demand/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off most of the present increase in diesel is caused by the I crease in oil prices. The government is not going to backtrack on carbon taxes. The truth is the higher producer oil prices go the better it is for farmers.

If we should protest about anything it the fact that once again the cartel is not passing on the increase in beef prices. 70c/kg is the difference between UK and Irish prices. That is 240 euro on a 330 kg carcase.

Ya park a few 100k 2021 tractors at the front of the protestors. Most if the farmers IFA want to save will have nitrates of 200+/HA. Sorry not my problem. Reduction in production is better for the rest of of us less product higher price.

Just as an aside there is moves on the Continent to limit travel of animals to less than eight hours travel time. Live export could come unstuck very fast if that is the case

The big boys who ran with cattle into the factories and tried to break the protests now want us to go to Dublin to support them. These are the upward only convergence crew and lobbied in Europe against the interest of the majority of farmers

Sorry fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me

Slava Ukrainii

Don't worry, you're not the first farmer dreaming up excuses for not supporting protests, Yours is different but all amounts to the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Blocking the M50 at rush hour is political suicide. What is to be gained by trapping the most volatile part of the electorate in the worst part of their daily grind? Well, the Greens will gain a few extra seats if that's what u want.

If you want to do something constructive, try organising the distribution of free, high quality food products from Irish farms on the streets of Dublin instead.

Highlight your produce and stop showing off your toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

aviation is taxed... substantially at multiple points..

who decides what air travel is unnecessary btw ? and how ? Impossible to do... be like me getting into a car and it being decreed by someone a necessary or unnecessary trip....

hundreds of aircraft are in the skies over Europe, many containing cargo to fuel our economy, I know one cargo airline that transports tractor parts...

• Advertisement

i think IFA are protesting on sunday 21st NOV I've a funeral that day so can't go 😂😂

Post edited by wrangler on

Advertisement