Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway to Dublin train on Christmas Eve?

Options
  • 19-10-2021 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, just thought I would ask here to get some advice.

Me and the mrs are thinking about staying overnight the 23rd of December and get the train home back to dublin on the 24th (christmas eve) But is that a bad idea? Just asking if getting a train back would be a nightmare etc.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There are 10 trains to Dublin from Galway on the 24th lots of choice there don't know why it would be a nightmare never heard of problems maybe in the opposite direction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're usually rather busy but pre-booking is likely to still be in place, so book now.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Irish rail usually require prebooking on all trains that day. Once you have the ticket booked, your seat is guaranteed. I would pack lightly, from experience most people travelling the 24th have a lot of luggage between suitcases and presents. Last time I travelled on the 24th there was luggage stored in between the carriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Maybe not as busy, but some of the Dublin-bound services could still be very busy, especially with the extra luggage that has been mentioned. From experience, I'd avoid travelling intercity on Christmas Eve unless it was absolutely necessary. But then my rail journeys usually require two train changes, not a problem between Galway and Dublin.

Re a point that was mentioned by another poster: Reserved seating was only reinstated last week. It was a Covid thing to drop it, I forget the stated rationale. Hopefully the daily case numbers situation won't cause it to be dropped again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If you prebook, you should be ok, but remember, services will finished earler that normal that day , so don't book the last train, you might find it cancelled in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

cheaper faster.... yes but more comfort on train (when you get seat)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Definitely less comfortable. There is a big difference between Citylink and Gobus regarding leg room. Gobus seems more suitable if you have very short legs indeed. So you have to keep them bended or sit at an angle for the duration.

I have heard too many scare stories about people abusing the reserved seating on trains. As in sitting in a reserved seat and refusing to move when the reserved person, as it were, shows up, even within the time frame allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Legroom is an issue if you are taller. Other than that the buses are generally quieter and warmer in winter. The noise abuse on trains recently is nuts. People listening to music with no headphones, talking at shouty level etc, never mind those breaking several Covid rules. The trains when nice are lovely if that makes sense! If I need a rest or a snooze I get the bus, but if I want to use laptop, and am wide awake, it's the train.

What happens with the reserved seat sometimes is a particularly Irish phenomenon. Someone gets to their seat, someone's in it and so they take someone else's and the whole thing dominoes! I get eye rolls when I have to ask someone to move but it's the only way. If it's someone very elderly though, I cave and look for an open seat :/ Sometimes it's not the fault of the passengers though, I have been on a train when the names didn't come up at all or came up only around Woodlawn!

Advertisement