Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

Aye Doge, I've emailed the cpc site....awaiting a reply. I think they might handle international orders over the phone, which means they'll drop the vat and I pay vat this end....with a nice hefty duty bill to boot I'd say.

Brexit was, is, and continues to be, a total **** shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I think CPC is more geared at consumer electronics rather than electronic components. Although it makes no sense then that the soldering station is not listed on the main Darnell site. I've seen them on other sites also. I'll try and find you a good price.

One more option but it's 133 euro:

i think they ship from Poland. The shipping is cheap though.

Much thanks Doge. Haven't heard of the brands though, are they decently regarded do you know?

• Advertisement

They're pretty much all OEM brands of the same product. Not sure if I'm saying that correctly!

Except the Proskit one is an updated enclosure.

Proskit is an excellent brand imo, have some great tools by them.

All the parts on these are pretty much identical just in different colours and branding.

Proskit also had an identical one to the duratool in the same commodore 64 beige!

I think they just updated the enclosure to make it look a bit more eh.... Pro! 😁

The only con about these desoldering stations is that they take a while to heat up and take up more space than the hakko hand held units like Ollie has. But the hakkos are about twice the price so there's that.

I have a Proskit one in the beige and it's identical to the duratool.

This one simple hack will save you on filters! Tool manufacturers hate him! ;)

And if you're adventurous you can upgrade the PSU board for the vacuum pump / motor:

Doge, seriously thanks for all that man. I'm definitely gonna check them out. A gent and a scholar :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Oooooooo I must do that ZD-915 mod...and also let it fully heat up for the 10min before using. Thanks for the tips Doge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Is anyone else following th watermelon paprium Kickstarter?

I'm after backing (breaking my own rules) but looks like they are getting some funding.

Dreamcast version stretch goal unlocked and all. It seems like it's going well....seems like. Looking forward to seeing how this ends up.

Hope it happens. I'm mad to play the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks fantastic, and I almost pulled the trigger on the Megadrive version, but... that is a lot of money for a Megadrive game!

It's in the unique position of not being dumped yet, and with the additional hardware on the cart, even if it could be dumped, no emulator could play it. It's been partially dumped, but they'll need to add some additional functionality to existing emulators to be able to run the contents of the cart. Unless the extra hardware isn't doing anything other than DRM that is. It'll happen at some stage, but for now, the only way to play it is to buy it physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dreamcast version looks to be the best way of putting your pirate hat on for this one, they'll have to give up on the chip protection if it's ever released on disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Projectlittlemen on Reddit, etc currently in process or reverse engineering the cart assets from paptrium. WM have every right to oppose such an effort but have only shown what an oddly chaotic bunch they have become. Amazed the Kickstarter got support, paprium's release was a tyre fire.

Master of the Universe

Currently playing console Tetris trying to get all of my consoles set up in my new TV unit. Bought a Habitat 'Ford' from Harvey Norman. Met the specs of having doors on the front to hide everything but with lots of space for consoles and most importantly, wood paneling effect to go with my new floors. (!)

https://www.harveynorman.ie/furniture/cabinets-and-storage/tv-units/81691-ford-tv-unit.html

Currently trying to get the following in there:

Sony: PS1 and PS2

Sega: Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast

Nintendo: Famicom, SNES, N64, Wii, Switch

Microsoft: Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Other: PCE, Retrotink

Excluded for now: Sega Mega CD, 32X, Jaguar, Original Xbox, PS3 and NES

And I tell you what, it's a bit of a struggle! I actually have most of the above in believe it or not. There's enough vertical space in the cabinets to fit a shelf, I've consoles stacked on top of each other for now but am looking for some kind of shelf solution if anyone has an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you manage to fit everything in you'll have to share a picture of it because that would be impressive!

IKEA's Besta unit has individual shelves that fit in their 180cm unit which is larger than what you have so you could cut them to size, they're only a fiver? If the middle shelf is the same width as the other sides you could email Harvey Norman's customer support to try get one but probably won't get anywhere with them as they're usually random manufacturers. B&Q will also cut wood to order but don't know if you'll get something that small and might be expensive.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Master of the Universe

Thanks for the heads up re the Besta shelves! will check them out.

I was also thinking maybe something with legs already on it. In my SNK cab I have a small shoe rack which allows me to put one pcb on the bottom board and then another one suspended over it. Something like that might do the trick if I can get something that looks a bit nicer than a shoe rack...

Regarding fitting everything in, each side unit fits four consoles comfortably if you've a shelf inside with two on the top, two on the bottom. The pull out drawer fits two smaller flat consoles (thinking about putting my Megadrive 2 and Snes in here, just leave the drawer pulled out when using those consoles) and that open spot fits the Xbox 1 with a nice bit of ventilation, with my Switch then on top of the unit beside the tv.

My TV isn't the biggest (I think it's only 42 inches) so there's actually some space to the side of the unit for a CRT...might actually have somewhere for that PVM 14L4 afterall!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just in case it helps anyone. I got a few scart cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk and they arrived quickly and marked as "Gift" for customs declaration. They did state the true value on the parcel. So depending on the value you should be ok for zero customs fees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Someone discovering the Saturn for the first time:

'Hey this console is awesome with some great games. How did it fail so badly?'

How the advertised Panzer Dragoon Zwei:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No one was convinced or could be convinced that the Saturn was awesome.

Sony pumped money into that same debate, and won, crucially by also having the games that people wanted to play, a console price they would pay...

Poor Sega...

Whatever happened to the mods of the Sega forum... I hear those poor wretches are living from sofa to sofa, still hoping Panzer Dragoon Saga gets a English translation on the Switch...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The perfect handheld console doesn't exi....

Christ on a bike Retr0, you have to buy one of those, if only so that no one else ever has to!

Mother of the divine christ, Sony made one, and released it!

Hmm, not immediately enthused. Has a 'z-list celeb fest' look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I see retrogamingcables.co.uk is making a manual SCART switch(a couple of versions it seems). I'm not exactly in love with the design, but if its priced well and has a clean signal it'll be a good option for some people.

This version is designed for the Retrotink 5x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The RetroTink 5x version looks super awkward, but I will buy a couple of these provided the case is a nice injection moulded effort.

Advertisement