Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork developments

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It seems a shame to me that they don't continue the balincolig- city centre line out onto the midleton line - it would mean a east-west rail corridor of nearly 30 kms , would make park and ride at dunkettle more worth while - as well as way easier links to new north docks developments , little island and carrigtohil industrial estates -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ballincollig to the city will be a light rail corridor on streets whereas the line to Midleton is heavy rail. It's doable but I doubt there is any desire to have a tram-train set up in Cork for many reasons. I can't think of any benefits to having a light rail set up all the way out to Midleton and Cobh over simply electrifying, and dual tracking to Midleton, the existing suburban line, with an interchange at Kent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There has been a new SHD consultation launched for Jacobs Island in Mahon for 498 apartments. This is the site of the infamous Mahon Tower, which was the first major apartment SHD consultation in Cork. The original application had 413 apartments, the developers went back to amend that to 437 apartments earlier this year, I don't think there was ever a decision on that. Anyway this looks like a new proposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Does double-planning increase the land value even more? When they go to sell the site will they can claim they got planning for 935 apartments. Ca-ching!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Given the track record of apartment building in Cork I can't see there being a queue to buy land with planning for apartments no matter what the number of apartments is.

Theres no real need for heavy rail to midleton , but you could put In tram stops far cheaper than rail stations . Allowing for 2 or 3 at the north docks / Tivoli , the second stop at carrigtohil industrial estate, the stop at the former Amgen site , water rock , all of which then have a direct link through to the city without having to change ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

What about the Cobh line? You'd have to rebuild the existing stations at Little Island, Glounthaune, Carrigtwohill, Midleton, Fota, Carrigaloe, Rushbrook and Cobh as they can't take trams. And regauge the entire line to take trams. That would cost a small fortune for very little benefit. Trams are slow, have lower capacity and over such long distances are much worse than electrified heavy rail. It's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

Are there plans to electrify the line? You'd need that for a tram.

Yes the plan is to electrify from Mallow to Cobh/Midleton. The first element to enable that was completed over the last few weeks with the upgrade of the signalling at Kent to replace the old analogue system in place.

A tram all the way to Cobh and Midleton is a non-starter as it would cost a fortune to regauge the entire line to accommodate trams and trams are slower and have less capacity than electrified heavy rail. Not to mention the existing stations would have to be demolished and rebuilt to accommodate trams. They offer zero benefits from Kent to Cobh/Midleton over simply upgrading what we have to electrified rail and creating an integrated hub at Kent. Nobody would suggest replacing the DART in Dublin with a Luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

Are you sure that the line would need to be regauged? AFAIK the LUAS runs on standard gauge i.e. the same as Irish Rail gauge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Irish railway gauge differs to international standard gauge, which is what I think luas runs on.

Luas is standard gauge 1,435mm. The heavy rail network is Irish gauge of 1,600mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Examiner:

A developer has commenced a consultation with An Bord Pleanála about the scheme of more than 1,000 apartments at a site on Centre Park Road.

The proposal, from Tiznow Property Company Limited, is in relation to a plan for 1,030 apartments, two creches and associated site works, and is focused on the former Tedcastles Site on Centre Park Road, associated with the Comer Group.

The consultation is a standard element of the Strategic Housing Development (SHD) process and its outcome is not indicative of any future planning decision.

In recent weeks, the Irish Examiner also reported that Tiznow Property Company Limited had commenced a consultation over the development of 191 apartments on the site of the former Cork Warehouse Company on Monahan Road, Cork city.

Both sites are located close to the potential locations of other major residential developments, including the proposal from Marina Quarter Limited, which is seeking to develop 1,002 apartments on the former Ford distribution site, fronting on to Centre Park Road and Monahan Road. That scheme was approved in April.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

New filing on BCMS yesterday that work is to recommence on the Prism on November 23rd.

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Excellent! The pearl clucthers won't like that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

But I don't think anyone had anything bad to say about the Prism? Am I mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The Artists impressions aren't hugely inspiring, but it would be nice to see that part of town developing. It's so close to the centre of town, but it feels like it's very far. The four-lane (four and a half lane!) N20 through the centre of it probably doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

All these "Quarters" are getting irritating, they never were quarters don't understand why they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Developers and businesspeople love that branding shyte, that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I discovered that I lived in a historic "quarter" around two years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's the "locked gates" quarter.

It's crazy to think thar we've tried to create a tourist friendly, "historic quarter", yet we allow the residents in a few alleyways to close off public access as and when they see fit.

I've written to the council numerous times about this but nothing is done and residents continue to lock gates on public thoroughfares willy nilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Better than junkies etc using the lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The gates don't stop the junkies.

I used to live on one of those alleys and I've since moved and I see more junkies where I am now than I ever did in the alleys in Shandon.

I used to get more afraid having to stop, take keys out, unlock the gate and hope no one was waiting behind me to try get in.

The only time I valued those gates was when there was a particular group camping outside St Mary's and one of the group had a tendency to become highly aggressive (he's still around - even saw a TikTok of him losing it on Oliver Plunkett Street). Two of my housemates were chased by him up to the gates. They were able to slam the gates and lock him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Fair enough i dont want to derail the thread saw a tiktok of some guy acting up by the clayton alright.Maybe we need a thread about the state of the city in general.

So why not gate off all our residential streets so junkies can't use them?

That really is the logical conclusion to your statement.

From my experience, the same people who want free reign to lock these thoroughfares at will, seem to be vehemently again an injection centre in the area, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭notAMember

And injection center on Spike might be more appealing to our peaceful citizens than city center.

It's brutal to be an addict, but it's no fun getting mugged or assaulted by someone off their face either.

To be honest, I'm far more wary of drunks and general scumbags. While, seeing people using hard drugs on the streets isn't pleasant, I've never had hassle from these people. I'm not saying that no one has suffered at the hands of addicts but my experience has been different. In my experience, most of them are pretty harmless and they are usually too out of it to pose any threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

seem to be some work in the prism site this morning. would great to see that get property going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭notAMember

Loathe to take this further off topic, and yes, booze is a disaster, especially the homemade stuff around, but my impression is that drunks often have something else in their system these days, especially if aggressive. And general scumbags… potentially also linked to substances, getting money for it, broken people from being abused by other users etc. Heroin and injecting is a fragment of the problem. Some take any pill they are offered when low. Or at least, that’s how it comes across in the court reports defence arguments… I can’t remember the last time I read one where it was only booze in the defendant’s system.

Has anyone any info on that glenveagh housing development by the Ursulines? Walked past it the other day and saw very little activity. Is it on hold?

I don't think that it ever started? One of many apartment developments that is being sat on

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

Is it true the new Aldi in Douglas is already looking to expand?

Seems to have been some issues around the cafe in the front. It was pre let and advertising for staff and then all of a sudden it was advertising for tenants again. They may be expanding into that space as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Frome The Echo today:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I didn't realise the Douglas Relief Road had been renamed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cynically I wonder if the café units were a ruse to get it through planning. The first Lidl plan got shut down for not being mixed use IIRC.

I always thought it was strange they didn't leave room for a bakery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Almost definitely not a ruse. As was mentioned above, there was a coffee shop tenant lined up that was hiring. However, it seems that fell through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

I think you are spot on there, condition of planning that they had to have extra commerial units. Know someone that contacted the auctioneer re the other vacant unit and got the run around. This was the plan all along I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yaay for unaffordable student apartments.

Who rents them though ? , And if it can be made viable to build student apartments how come it can't be made viable to build regular apartments ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Student apartments are typically a lot smaller; so more units, so more income for a given site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

They will be viable because if they can’t rent to students because they are to expensive they will turn them into Air BnB

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Student accommodation is typically 6 small ensuite bedrooms with one shared kitchen / living room and are easier to fit into the footprint of a building as they only need one entrance door, its alot of extra income compared to one or two bed apts and you can clearly see that with the amount of them going up around Cork!

Are the major tax breaks still in place ? Or are they long gone ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

OCP going in for planning this week for Phase 1 of the South Docks development. 450,000sqft of office space and apartment blocks also

Odlums building being retained and upgraded. R&H Hall to be demolished for reasons in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

O'Callaghan Properties announcing Phase 1 of the docklands redevelopment. Already looks very promising. The one quibble would be the relative lack of apartments. They mention about 450,000 sq. feet of offices (so about 4,000 workers) but the article mentions 160 apartments. The "2,000 homes" in the title, I'm not sure of. Might be in future phases?

• Advertisement

The 2k homes are indeed in future phases. That article mentions 160 apartments in Phase 1, of which 80 will be build to sell.

They seem to have prelet the hospital which means that should be a definite yes for development

Advertisement