Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing for Travellers must provide room for a pony - EU Rights Agency

Comments

Well Kermit, we're of a similar mindset at last. Talk about opening a can of worms, additional room for grazing ramps up the cost considerably. Only pouring petrol on the taxpayer bonfire of money. And leaving the gate ajar for all sorts of animal rights abuses (no, I wasn't born yesterday). This horse declares the notion a prohibitively expensive and unwieldy farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Don't think the EU really understands travellers and the liberties they will take.

This one area they should stay out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm trying to see in the article where it says the EU said travellers have to have space for a pony or horse with their accommodation.

Look I may have missed it when I was blinded by your daily anti EU bias. But can you point out where your thread statement rings true ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do we have to give every traveller child a hiace or transit van when there born .

The EU should stick to straight bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You don't have to go far. It's first mentioned in the subtitle under the picture...

‘It really matters that you have a place to stable a horse if you come from the Traveller tradition and that just has to be acknowledged.'

And in title in the IT

Centrality of horses to Travellers’ culture must be acknowledged in housing policy - EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I’m going to bite my tongue on this one but I very strongly suggest this guy in the article and also the likes of The Journal go and get some real world experience and stop telling the rest of us we are to blame for all the poor travellers problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I assume this also means that the said Travellers will be forced to treat their animals properly and with respect, too?

Who would enforce that? It does appear that the Gardai don't have any influence or authority whatsoever when it comes to the Travelling community, so I'm not exactly sure how that'd work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Next year the EU might insist on having a Toyota service centre at each halting site to service the travellers Hiace vans.

You, I and the man on the moon knows it would be completely unmanageable, people who live nearby inevitably having to suffer the consequences while the EU suit gets to pat himself on the back at a safe distance.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

As I said. The term awknowledged means what again. I mean you said it twice.

On what metric does that back up your ridiculous thread title or your opening post. Once again exposed with anti EU bias and trying to shovel the hot traveller topic on top of it..

Shameless you know it.

The EU said nothing of this and have mandated nothing either. You could write for the daily mail, easily

• Advertisement

Take it up with the Irish Times. Nothing to do with any sentiment toward the EU. Stop being paranoid and trying to stir. If it was Pavee Point or a govt minister I'd have put that in.

As per the article it's from an EU rights agency.

Take what up with the Irish times. They actually said nothing of what you posted. Please kindly respond how the word awknowledged means anything like what you made it say. You are making it all up . The entire thread is a fabrication. You've taken an article that said one thing and come here to say it said something else.

Unadulterated waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

They actually did - go read it again, and then when you finish go read it a 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The article does not say what you put in the thread title.

The centrality of horses to Travellers’ culture “has to be acknowledged” in housing policy, the director of the European Union’s Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) has warned.

Michael O’Flaherty, the director of the agency who is in Ireland on an official monitoring visit, said horses were “absolutely central to Traveller identity. That has to celebrated and honoured and then acknowledged in things like housing policy.

“It really matters that you have a place to stable a horse if you come from the Traveller tradition and that just has to be acknowledged. I don’t understand why we’d oppose that.”

Crystal clear to me. Tell us what you think it means then?

As for the EU, it's the Irish Times who uses EU in the title, and it's the EU's Fundamental Rights Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

This O'Flaherty lad is having a right laugh at us trying to claim that this supposed 'plight' for the travelling community is the “single biggest human rights challenge” across the EU, while at the same time inflation rates are skyrocketing for every single community within the eurozone. Make no mistake, This guy doesn't give a damn about anyone, let alone Travellers. This guy is nothing but a highly paid establishment troll, and he can f**k off with his gibberish.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

@listermint there, I added EU Rights Agency to thread title to assuage your sensitivity. I trust your strongly worded letter to the Irish Times is almost ready

Remember their letters typically start with 'Sir/Madam' and end with 'Your's Sincerely, Mr/Mrs/Sir/Lord...Listermint'

Also, if you are in Dublin 6 you add a 'W' on the end to avoid any confusion.

😉

Sure build this new accomoadation in Brussels only on the lawn of the european parliament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Grand. So then let them work and save and build their stable. What could be more straightforward. Im sure there'll be no issue here.

Well that was easy guess I can close this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've no idea who this Michael lad is, but he can simply go fuk himself. A right to provide stables. Fuk off like. Either they travel around, or they settle, but at no stage should they have a "right" to a government provided stable. Everyone else who wants horses, be it for pleasure or because they are in the horse business for decades, has to buy their own stables.

Just fukkin no like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Mike O'Flaherty and his quango gang over at the FRA would be far better off investigating what goes on over in the likes of whatsapp and facebook/weta or whatever its called, concerning the travelling community. Seeing how much he obviously cares, and considering one of the main tenets of the FRA is their proclamation that they will demand to "Have your personal data protected", not a lot of that going on in the hundreds of the call out to violence videos spewn and shared all over that place every week within that community. Go look into that Mike.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What was that advert again "Toyota, 2000 ******* can't be wrong " 🤣🤣

I thought this latest nonsense was a pee take. Beggars belief 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah the dear Kitty Holland again. She probably lives as far away from any Traveller site as is possible.

IT and she as columnist have form for this type of stuff. She can feck right off now with her do gooderism lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to have a place to stable your horse. It doesn't say that place has to be beside your home. In the neighbourhood is fine.

No reason why pony clubs should only be for rich buffer kids. Set them up as community facilities in s hools: teach kids about animal welfare, motivate Traveller kids to go to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

yeah sure schools have plenty of unused land for keeping horses on, perfect

Horses are expensive to keep, that's why they should be kept by people who can afford them, this has always been the case

Perhaps they would be better off teaching them how travellers treat their animals instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yet again, change everything just to suit a tiny fraction of residents. No. If they want horses, then it's completely on them. Bad enough we already give permanent houses to people who should be travelling. Otherwise, imo, they're not travellers.

Maybe I'll start looking for free stuff because I'm Celtic apparently. Look for some free land for me to perform my Celtic pagan rituals. And provide the animals for slaughter too. Shur tis part of my heritage!

You'd think they'd have more concern for the cruelty to animals than Travellers supposed rights.

Every time I see a horse that is being "looked after" by Travellers, it's a decidedly sick looking creature that has been mistreated.

Any Irish politician that seeks to reinforce or protect Traveller culture should be slammed hard with the harsh realities of what being a Traveller does to people. It's a brutal and primitive culture that abuses everyone and everything it comes into contact with. It has no place in a modern society.. except as a note in history books, to remind people why we developed laws that protect and help people to grow. Not protect a culture that is pure poison.

Once again you are wrong. There is no must provide anywhere. It's nonsense you are actually a parody of an anti EU irexiteer.

.it's gas though because it's so idiotically obvious.

Il come back when you have this piece of so called must mandated legislation coming through any of the legislature in the EU or Ireland.

Lol. You're an absolute false rage train ...

Rich buffer kids? What are they?

In any case, the two riding schools in my hometown cater to middle class customers rather than any kind of wealthy elite. I went myself for a few years, and most people I met were "common people". The wealthy had their own horses to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you can afford to keep a horse or pony properly you can afford a decent paddock to keep it on. If you cannot afford to keep one properly you should not have one in the first place (and I'm just in from feeding 5 of them)

Advertisement