Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kin - RTE & AMC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭J.P.1994

Wow - that you have to even explain that is staggering. I'm beginning to wonder if some people are so desperate to find/pick holes in it that they lose all understanding of how stories on tv work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Agreed. I don't get the hatred, way out of all proportion. I don't like Eastenders so I don't watch it. I don't enjoy the music of QOTSA or Foo Fighters so I don't listen to them. Why bother, but if I did I'd try to be objective.

Kin for me was a solid first season of a drama series. Certainly far superior to Smother and Bloodlands earlier this year. It had its faults but when you're scene-setting and building characterisation you very rarely get an excellent series debut. That's the exception and the few I can think of are True Detective, Dexter, Twin Peaks and Game of Thrones. For some of those the first season was their peak. Kin, I believe, will improve and I'd give it 8/10. Any other scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

5 for me.

Too slow, Style over substance, pretty bad acting performances overall and they distracted from the story.

And i watched it because i wanted to watch. Just because i found it very average at best ,is my opinion.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It didn't need to be explained at all.

It's more wow that people can't have even the slightest of criticism without people getting their knickers in a twist.

Kem wasn't even a good rat and ye think now that him rejoicing and hailing the magician was not to blow his cover. 😂😂

I was one of the one that overall it was ok but it did have a lot of holes in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

My theory is that everything that happened from the ayahuasca trip on is all still part of Eamon’s ayahuasca trip (that’s why he had the flashback of the pool when shot)

si the still have Eamonn for season 2 which might make it watchable

6 for me.

I'll be back for season 2.

If I had a trip heavily featuring the Aviva I'd be asking for a refund.

I'm not a fan of Dexter, but the first series of True Detective (especially) and Game of Thrones were brilliant - but I would agree that most tv shows take a while to find their feet.

The almost angry-irrational hate for Kin on here used to baffle me in the beginning, people saying they could only stomach 20 minutes of the first episode but were still back every week after watching to complain; or others saying it was worse than Fair City when it clearly isn't. Especially baffling after seeing how well it is being received in the US.

But then I looked back at the early pages of Love/Hate discussion forum on here to see what people said. Here are some of the comments ...

Coloneldecker "This is pure sh!te so far, accents are awful and the dialog is even worse. I was lookin forward to this, cant believe how awful it is."

Greenman "If the sister loved him so much why did she not collect him from the prison?"

RonMexico "If any real gang members are watching this ****e they must be pissing themselves laughing."

ollie1 "This is awful all they do is talk and not enough action its feel like its Fair City or something. Brendan Glessons son is the spitting image of him."

Avon Barksdale "What a pile of **** this is, are the writers actually in touch with reality? Gang-bangers with D4 accents.. FFS..:mad:"

Longshanks "a lot of the acting and dialogue was weak. also the crap hip hop soundtrack, cos as we all know crap hip hop and drug dealing go hand in hand. but ruth negga is in it so i'll watch it again"

BigBrownBear "Couldn't get my head around it personally. Just seemed like a load of Fair Ctiy actors trying to look tough but not succeeding. Accents were poor and characters just didn't come across as realistic. I'd like to see it getting better though. Not just knocking RTE for the sake of it"

Artsmart "Hey, those D4 heads are always having gang bangs, the rich coked up f**kers. 😀

Baalthor "I know they have to tone it down (probably for the export market) but none of these guys were convincing as gangland criminals; heck, they weren't even massively convincing as typical Irish people ...I would be far more scared of Billy Meehan or Zumo Bishop from Fair City:p

Those kind of comments sound familiar? And that's just from the first 2 pages!!

Hilarious thing is I bet the same same people who were moaning about Love/Hate then are now probably slagging off Kin because it's not Love/Hate.

Just smile and take it all with big of pinch of salt.

Superb. And it may even be some of the same people with updated usernames.

Fast-forward five years and it'll be:

'Why are RTE spending €3m an episode on Generic Gangsters? It's not a patch on Kin.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Did Love Hate have this kind of reaction after the first series? I can remember not being too pushed about watching the second series but I'm glad i stuck with it.

Kin was OK, nothing more and nothing less. It will definitely get a second series and I feel we should judge it from there, let's see if they close up some of the plot holes and move on with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I doubt any of those comments came after 8 episodes into love/hate. Kin has got a decent airing. Hopefully it gets a second season. So far I’d rate it at a 5. Not really bad, not convincing in much of its plotting, characterisation, acting. Well shot and well produced.

no one liked the ending scene I take it? Power strut after telling her mother she’s a kinsella now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

7/10 for me. Will be back for the 2nd season.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Few familiar comments here 🤣 (click on the date link for all of the posts about ep 1 of Love/Hate)

I've been in stadiums allover, even several brand new ones.

The Aviva is a lovely stadium.

I'm assuming you're a dub??

I'm not but it's a stadium to be proud of.

The great thing about Kin is that it was both a mediocre Irish gangland show and an Aviva Stadium Webcam at the same time.

I only read the first two pages, but maybe I should go back and see what opinions were like at the end of the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

every single one of us commenting here will be tuned into the 2nd series and that's a fact. like or hate it, you'll all be watching

Here are comments made at the end of the first series of Love/Hate. I've tried to be fair giving a range of opinions.

Scumlord "It was an all right series, it did seem to glamorise gangland criminals. The people they where supposed to be portraying where pretty boys that didn't really come across as real criminals. They where a bit simplistic and one dimensional there was no moralising or pressure from the outside world, I never felt like they where under any real pressure from the guards, who just showed up every now and again."

TheHighwayman "meh I thought the end was weak. There was a fair bit of ripping off done on Sunday night, yer man blowing his own head off was straight out of Limerick gangland, the end when Darren is walking away and shot is the end of Carlito Way and the wedding eugh that was bad and is just a rework of this youtube video.

Wertz "For all it's faults and shortcomings, I still enjoyed it...I think that was more to do with the subject matter than the way it was delivered.For an RTÉ effort their production values have improved, the camerawork was very well done I thought, script was a bit meh, acting/casting hit and miss (some actors carried the rest), a little too fast moving and as mentioned above it borrowed and adapted many real world ideas, cinematic scenes and news events to pad it out. It all finished a bit conveniently

Celtic Liger "thought it was ok but the gang never really gel'd imo.i have to say i thought nigel was the best character in it. some of his facial expressions in scenes were priceless. like when he seen johnboy and his brother turning up at his wedding, his face dropped. johnboys brother is the image of brendan gleeson.

ButtersSuki "very disappointed with it as it had been built up to ridiculous levels by the Irish Media pre-launch. Calling it objectively and removing any "it was good for RTE" type comments, it was poor - at best. The acting wasn't too bad, but the script was full of cliches and borrowed/stolen ideas and that's where it fell down. To class it as being in any way as similar to "The Wire" is scandalous!"

Elmo "3rd episode was enjoyable, it really turned things around from the 1st 2. Then the 4th IMO was disappointing, We get it they are getting married (I don't think any church would let them do the dance). Overall it was a very average TV drama but that is to be expected from most TV drama of recent years (except for the few US Cable TV drama's that I won't mention). Overall I think it is good to get Irish Drama but the next series will need to be more involved until the next new drama comes along and everyone starts going on about how there never has been as good a drama on RTÉ like the new one :rolleyes:.

Rob88 "seeing as the guy who wrote it said himself he knows about the gangland problems from reading the newspapers and looking at bebo pages dedicated to slain members of gangs just sums it up for me.. embarrassing show.. i just hope it doesnt leave this country"

Lvbrs "I happened upon this utter ****e last night while flicking thru channels. Who the hell wrote this and got away with it??? The script is horrific, dialogue unbelievable, accents awful and then they throw in some musical moments???? It's a bad scanger version of GLEE. Why am I wasting my TV licence money on cretins who continually come up with dramas about gangland Ireland, junkies, scangers etc as though they were entertaining? They are far from entertaining in reality, so please do not put them on the telly in this amateur styled programme. Garbage!!!

LizardKing "have not read full thread .. watched the four episodes on the rte player ... enjoyed the show , better than i expected ... some good irish talent on show ... few cringe worthy moments but overall not too bad ... I think we should be supporting the irish made tv shows at least they are putting people to work here rather than paying US corporations for syndicated TV shows ...."

Ash.J.Williams (replying to Lizardking) Ah jaysus it wasn't that bad!

Super_Furry "It was made and funded by RTÉ ergo it must be the worst possible crap imaginable - at least according to this forum - witness Hardy Bucks.Only caught a couple of episodes of Love/Hate and while it looked good and the script seemed tight, the lead character just wasn't believable as an underworld drug dealing murderer. He was too much of a pretty boy and his scanger accent was well off.

JG009 "This was diabolic, as bad as the script was it was very unrealistic too in many parts.

Did you see when Brendan Gleesons son shot himself and the Luas strolled passed? Was that a foopaa, the ERU would have been there in second. It was at bluebell football club on the nass road, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Ronanstown and Lucan copshop all within a stones throw away!

1) They drove around in flashy cars.

2) They drove around with guns seemingly all the time, I would say the majority of these so called gangsters would only have guns on them when absolutely needed etc & get the dropped to the area they are needed by little nobodys in your average run of the mill cars but to carry them around themselves in 520d BMWs - Hello 7 years minimum please.

3) They carried cash around a lot themselves and went into a house where elmos father was counting buckets of notes. They would be the most stupid criminals going to have a safe house for cash counting etc that they personally visit in an associates fathers home - PLEASE. Ever heard of the proceeds of crime act and detention of cash beyond 48 hours? Clearly the script writers didn't.

In real life things would have been a lot more subtle, the drug handovers etc would have been by the two aul lads on the side line watching the local sunday football game where there were bags left right and centre and no one would have noticed or suspected a thing.

Please don't anyone compare it to the wire, the wire was a work of art. This was tripe. I would love to know what it cost them to produce start to finish.

91011 (replying to JG009) "Why do so many naysayers come up with this location tripe. Show me one TV drama or film anywhere in the world that is location perfect so that the few local people watching can transport themselves into the locations? - there isn't one. Did we tear Father ted apart becasue the cinema was in Greystones and the parochial house was meant to be on a west clare island and was actually 30 miles inland in corofin. Do we tear CSI New York apart because one scene in Queens and the next down at Coney Island? Do we tear Criminal Minds apar because one scene in a totally different area of La than the porevious one - yet its meant to be around the corner? No we don't. Us Irish only tear our own apart because of phenonemal jealousy.

Elmo (replying to 91011) May I say that Love/Hate is ten times better than either of these shows?

Redr "I thought Love/Hate was great! Okay, Darren was too Bambi-like with the big, green eyes as was his love interest but wasn't Nig great? Total gurrier, unattractive, a charmer, a sycophant regarding John Boy, mean, unemotional, me feiner? A very good actor."

There you go....

Not a chance

fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

When you compare this to something like Love Hate....

Love Hate had some actual interesting characters in each season, both in terms of the major characters and the minor characters

That's a function of both the writing and the actors, but moreso the writing really

Kin doesn't even have a single interesting character in the whole show

I wouldn't bat an eye if the whole lot of the "Kin-sellas" was taken out by a massive southside mews-residence gas-leak explosion or mega-Halloween pipe bomb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

He was given the nickname only after he killed Moore. A hit that he only just about got away with, where he let another target get away, and where he was recognised at the scene.

But after Jamie is killed doesn't Jimmy ask him to help kill Moore and says something like "you've done it for money, now do it for family" which suggested to me that he had killed people before.

Episode 1 series 2

Eamonn standing in the Shower ala Bobby Ewing in Dallas ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Welcome back Aiden !!! 😝

Did you spend the last few weeks compiling that ??

Seriously ......

I'm not a Dub, and not slagging off the stadium, just kidding about them overdoing the shots of the Aviva in the series.

Lol! I love that you think a famous rich actor would care enough about what we think of him on here to set up an account and start commenting. Maybe Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender are on here too, actually maybe we're ALL just famous actors hiding behind anonymous profiles trying to find out what jo-public really thinks of us.

I'm sure you spotted I included no Love/Hate comments praising my amazing performance as Johnny-boy - that's to throw everyone off my trail. But don't tell anyone, it'll be just our secret .... 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would enjoy it more if they showed some insight as to how a whole family can get involved in drugs . From Birdy to Frank to Michael who seems less toxic than the others . Did they drift in when they saw money or were they raised to be criminals ? I would find that interesting .

Was Amanda trying to raise her boys to be different until Jamie was murdered ? She was involved but trying to steer her boys into college ?

Not the case, his nickname predates the CM killing. It’s also why he was asked to do it as he has a history of hits. Mentioned several times in the first few episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Niall_76

It was watchable but very slow moving. But I remember watching Breaking Bad long after most others had and being really surprised it made it so big in the US with it being quite slow moving.

For all that happened in Love/Hate, my main memory is them all swallowing SIM cards early on.

Advertisement