Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

N26 has been fined 4.25 million € for various breaches of Anti Money Laundering Laws and systematic failures in their system.

N26 has paid that fine.

This for now has stopped Bafin from further actions (including a possible limitation of new non German Business) but Bafin continues to demand further improvements from n26.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Im with Kbc which are excellent in every respect. I opened account with N26 ( after great difficulty with their cumbersome Passport ID Validation requiring many many attempts) I Would not stay with N26 for following reasons:. Their customer service is a disaster. Completely understaffed and incompetent at resolving issues. Their chat function is very protractedand very frustrating. Their dedicated phone number ( only for premium fee paying customers is non- existent for Irish customers anytime I called)They also have a tendancy not to answer specific questions asked on a chat but cite terms and conditions. When pressed they give conflicting answers. It is extremely frustrating dealing with them. They completely wrecked my head.

The only positive is their phone app. But if you have problems you can not phone or call into branch but only use their chat function.

KBC are a pleasure to phone or deal in person in contrast. BOI are also excellent.

When I wrote to complain about a matter they decided to remove a promotion I had availed of for a free premium account for 12 months eventhough I just signed up a month ago and should have 11 months left. They had no justifiable reason for doing this other than I complained about a matter.

What next. Will they close my account? Thank god I have no balance with them.

Would not do my day to day banking with them after this.

You're on your own if you run into problems with N26. I wouldn't have confidence in them to easily resolve a problem.

Look at other people's reviews who have dealt with them and make up your own mind. Their app is quite good in fairness.

Their N26 YOU current account is bad value at €9.90 per month...

N26 Metal is expensive too.

You have to pay for your physical Mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I went up to about opening a KBC account and didn't want to know, here's a booklet now go away and don't annoy us

I left N26 months ago because i was tired of transactions failing randomly and wasn't spending E10 on a card to see if it would fix my free banking

So far so good with Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have Revolut and N26, promised myself that I wouldn't start collecting fintec apps and cards, but I am waiting for Vivid to launch here, and then I will sign up. I emailed them a year or so ago and they replied that they expected to be here by the third quarter of this year, but nothing was concrete especially with covid affecting everything. Still no sign of them. They seem to be very good all round, but I guess they will also have issues. Revolut won't allow transfers to a few (if not all) crypto exchanges. They also have other issues that I can't think of off the top of my head. I had noticed (and think I mentioned it in this thread at the time) that N26 were marking some banks as not available for sepa, or something similar, but I hadn't realosed that was the beginning of them charging for instant transfers. Hopefully vivid comes sooner than later, and it fixes a lot of the issues experienced. I'm not naive enough to think it will be the greatest banking solution of the modern age etc. But from what i have read, it seems to be a lot better organised than the two mentioned. Maybe it took their products as a step to start.

And N26 is now limiting the number of new customers they will take in each month:

We will be making a temporary adjustment to the number of new bank accounts that we can offer each month.

This means that we may not be able to instantly provide every new customer with an N26 account, at least in the short-term. 

Source: Temporary changes for new N26 customers — N26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anything to do with their inability to follow money laundering rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

2-3 weeks without my money? Yikes! I'd be looking for interest from N26 for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

Happy to have it back and a new card issued. Pretty sure any interest - if there were any - would be negligible. I have other battles to fight.

There is speculation that they did that before BAFIN could order them to do it.

Most likely the limitation is so that they can ensure that each opening is vetted properly with the staff levels they have (or more to the point their new contractor in Greece who they outsourced this to) to satisfy the BAFIN's order to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Seems they also closed the refer a friend option in line with the regulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Morning, just got an email from N26 RE Enter your tax ID information, its a legitimate email, brings you to app etc.

I presume they are looking for my PPSN number 🤔 I'm not a business or self employed etc .

I've barely used the account yet, kind of testing water, small transactions etc, waiting on KBC winding down.

Thanks if anyone can clarify

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Yes. They are required to have your PPSN, just like the Irish bricks and mortar banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I closed my KBC account and went to N26 too. I also have revolut but using N26 as my current account.

Never had an issue with IBANs apart from Vodafone too.

After talking to about 5 people in Vodafone they finally accepted the IBAN.

I reported to COMREG too.

Thanks for that, just surprised it wasn't asked for when opening account initially but thanks for the clarification 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How did you do that? I just tried change my IBAN to my N26 and it can't do that and to go into a store

They did it over the phone. Got fobbed of by a few of them before one finally knew what to do.

If they put it in manually themselves, i assume via different software, it is fine.

That message is from the software only and does not mean they cant use differetn IBANs at all. Just that their software doesnt allow it.

There's been a number of reports on certain companies being difficult re using N26 and other online , non Irish banks for DD,

I don't believe a store could resolve the issue it's a billing, back end issue requiring billing team to resolve, open to correction 😉

Again I'm open to correction but I worked for a another network for 8 years, whilst the issues with IBANS and non Irish banks relatively new, we had no access or permission at store level to resolve this and other complex billing issues.

Vodafone may be different but 90% of their stores franchise so I'd be doubtful. If I recall the issue in question was only resolved after numerous calls to Vodafone and indeed a complaint to Comreg .

Unfortunately there's a perception that Network stores can resolve every issue for customers, this I'm afraid is not the case as most (apart from Eir) are franchise with little, limited or no access to billing systems.

If Vodafone themselves are now telling you to call into a store to resolve the non UK/IE IBAN issue, you can bet that the stores can resolve it.

• Advertisement

Again, I'm open to correction and not saying I am correct, just offering an opinion based on experience, I really don't want to be getting into a back and forth on this. This particular issue re IBANS has been raised numerous times and on other threads, this would at a minimum suggest its not something easily resolved.

Customer care in the network I worked for, always and continue to send customers into stores knowing full well the store can not resolve numerous issues. Wether it be

A billing issue

Updating Bank details (Absolutely not permitted)

Network coverage issues

Accounts suspended /Closed

Just to mention a few

We're getting a little off Topic

Advice, Opinion can or indeed not be accepted. Let's leave it at that.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Sweet Jesus.

Its a software issue. You have to get through to someone who either has permission to bypass the IBAN filter or who uses a different system to input it.

Eventually after explaining to several different people on the phone I got someone who was able to update the IBAN without that check preventing them.

All they have to do is fix their software and this wouldnt be an issue.

Think inside the box here. Why the fcuk would Vodafone themselves be sending you to their stores to update people's billing information for this exact issue? Would it perhaps be because the people in store either have the access to update it themselves or know how to get it updated correctly?

This is a new approach from them, previously they couldn't do it at all. You're basing your self admitted outdated knowledge on working for someone else entirely. That's like me saying I'm an expert on Burger King became I worked in McDonalds for a week when I was 16.

I'm not quite getting your obsession with this. A poster posed a litigmate question, I responded as best I could based on my long experience working in the industry, you jumped on my response, I explained I'm not claiming to be correct but pointed out, just because customer care, send a customer to a shop (mostly franchise with limited access to back end systems) does not mean the issue can or will be resolved.

I lost count the amount of times, working in this industry were customers essentially rushed off the phone and sent somewhere else to resolve an issue, knowing full well the issue can not be resolved at store level. This incidently is not solely an approach taken by mobile phone companies.

Aside from the obvious, there's been numerous posts, queries and frustrations raised not just on Boards but elsewhere about the difficulties in getting companies to accept non Irish IBANS for the purposes of DD and despite legislation forbidding this.

Wether your not aware of this or deliberately trying to create something out of nothing, I'm unsure.

I've respected your opinions and indeed thanked you for advice , why you've now latched onto this is a mystery.

I reiterate, Network Retail stores are primarily Franchise, Have limited access to certain functions, Have limited ability to resolved complex billing issues.

I've not said a Vodafone store can not resolve this issue, I've said I'm very doubtful they can.

Move on, this is getting Tiresome and cut out the F***, no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd nearly go in to a Vodafone shop to put this argument to bed 😂

Yes indeed , I might go myself 🤣 I'm sorry I even commented

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

No sign of joint accounts with N26? We have a joint account with KBC and I'm trying to plan ahead. We both have individual accounts with N26.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They snipping stops now. You know who I mean.

Advertisement