Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

There's a spare in the Mk 4 Leon anyway, and that's based on the Mk 8 Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Hi, I will be changing my car in Jan/Feb and I’m looking at Golf R’s or maybe an M140i. What spec would you consider a must/should have on a Golf R?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There’s loads of advice/tips in this thread for that question.

The car is pretty well spec’d as standard. The more sought after / must have options would be:

• 19” Pretoria wheels
    • dynamic chassis
    • winter pack

Majority of them are DSG and it’s probably most sought after, manual is fairly rare.

buy on overall condition, mileage etc, then spec imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Joe is right, buy on condition, mileage is important but it's not the be all and end all. My car had highish miles for the year when I was buying but it was in great condition and still is.

A mate has recently bought a low mileage Jap import and while it's in good condition he must have a few grand spent on it in the first two months just bringing it up to standard. I've less spent on mine in nearly two years of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Thanks for the replies, Yeah I usually buy low mileage example cars. DSG would be the only option for me really as I do a lot of city driving and my last two cars have been auto. I probably won’t ever go back to a manual daily. Leather seats seem to be fairly rare? The last time I had cloth seats was in a mk4 GTI so again would probably opt for leather. Pretoria’s would also be my preference. Do they come with reversing camera’s as standard?

• Advertisement

Reverse camera not standard but vast majority of Irish cars would have it as it tended to get bundled into most of them in a “tech pack”.

keyless entry is also quite common, again part of that tech pack I think

I had leather in mine, I wasn’t that keen on the look of the cloth but in hindsight I wouldn’t have bothered and spent (a big chunk of change) on another option. The cloth is nicer looking in the 7.5 if you’re going that new. (172 onwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Sorry to hear that Gav. The wet weather at the moment is hiding all these sniper potholes. Hopefully, the wheel will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

Do tyre fitters and mechanics working 6 days a week not deserve a day off?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No issues with the wheel anyway so that's something.

Only problem was they had no Hankook available in VW and the locals have nothing but middle of the road in the same tyre profile. 🙄

I can wait a week for a Hankook or get the car tomorrow with something half decent, I'll take the hit and just take what given, if it was VW in the city I'd leave it with them but don't fancy driving down to Skib at the end of the week and be car-less.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,091 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It'll shock you to know shops and restaurants are open 7 days a week.

Crazy i know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just cause you are working a Sunday doesn't mean you were working 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Tyre sales aren't really comparable to groceries or a dinner out though are they.

People need groceries, people enjoy dinner out.

I'd say demand for new tyres on a Sunday is miniscule, it's hard enough to sell tyres on a weekday. Surely if it was lucrative, more workshops would be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Getting off topic here but yeah people working weekends likely aren't working 7 days a week. If they are it's not normal.

People working Sundays are also required to get paid a higher wage even if it's their normal schedule.

We're not one of those countries where everything is closed on Sundays so it's annoying when something is closed especially if you need something before going back to work on a Monday.

I don’t think Gav expected to find a 24 hour tyre shop in rural West Cork to be fair. VW roadside “assist” leaving me on hold for an hour would be far more irritating tbh.

Can we get back on topic. Please 🙏

Well most tyre shops are usually only 2 man operations and you’d need 2 staff on at all times. So in this case it would mean they are working 7 days a week.

Fair enough a big franchise like Quik Fit etc could probably open but tyre shops are completely different to a grocery store with loads of staff and part timers covering the weekend shifts

And tradesmen like mechanics etc have always been off on a Sunday and I don’t think that should change just so Mary can get some new tyres on a Sunday morning…

Sorry guy just realised this is the Golf thread, thought it was Motors

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There's no need to apologise, the site should be so lucky anyone is posting 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,091 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You don't expect roadside assistance in VW to fully staffed on Sundays now, do you 😉

Anyway, like you said, back on topic 😊 this is how I pictured it happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭maddness

Two very different cars. I’ve had both and the Golf R is the more complete package and far quicker over a challenge backroad than a M140i and much much better in the winter. But…the M140i is far more special than the R, makes a fantastic noise and is a lot faster stock (in the dry anyway) and a more challenging driving experience. I’d have the BMW over the Golf but both are fantastic cars and I’d happily swap my little Fiesta ST for either in a heartbeat.

Regarding Golf R spec I’d recommend the Dynoaudio if you can find a car with it as the standard sound is terrible, otherwise leather lifts the cabin and I’d a sunroof in my second one and it was great too.

What are people’s views on “running in” a new performance car? I’ve read everything from: “modern engines do not need a run in period” to “keep the rpm below 4,500 for the first 1000 miles”.

I’ve never had a brand new performance car before, so totally clueless about this topic.

Basically, I want to give launch control a lash!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't have a performance car but I do have a new car and they said in the manual in glove box to not rev it high or drive at high speeds for at least 3000 kms. I'm pretty sure it's the same for a VW.

On that topic if you buy a super/hyper car they are already broken in on a engine dyno. So from the second you drive it you can drive it as hard/fast as you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭maddness

If id just spend a big wedge of my hard earned on a new GTI or R I’d give it 1000kms before I driving it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I’m pretty sure there is no evidence that running in is needed in modern engines. What is important is waiting for any car to get up to temperature before revving out but I reckon we all know that.

You’re enjoying it! I only hit 1000 over the last weekend. I haven’t driven it too hard tbh, but have given it a few darts. No launches yet though!

I did 2k in the first week of ownership when I bought a new ST in 2016😄

Volkswizard on Youtube always seems to run in his engines and does a run in service after 700 miles or so

Yeah, I think I’ll start opening it up a little bit more now 😃 I’ll give the launch control a blast over the weekend.

I’m absolutely loving the car. Any chance I get, I’m either collecting or dropping off! It does attract a lot of tailgating/up my hole sort of driving from every second boy racer, but that happened in my MK7 R and GTD too.

It's under warranty, drive it on to fu5k would be my school of thought!

By the way, did Pierses ever retail your mk7 R, I didn't see it advertised but maybe they had someone for it seen as good ones are so hard got nowadays. What spec/colour was it?

I actually traded in a VW transporter for the MK8 Golf. I traded in my MK7 for the transporter last year. I have a very colourful vehicle history 😂.

The van was a terrible idea - I think I was slightly mad from lockdown.

• Advertisement

Haha that’s gas! Tell us more…. Were you planning to do a California camper conversion? Or becoming a tradesman ?!

Advertisement