Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Invasion - AppleTV+

• 09-06-2021 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

Created by Simon Kinberg
    Shamier Anderson, Golshifteh Farahani, Sam Neill, Firas Nassar, and Shioli Kutsuna star in this sci-fi drama that will make you question what you would do under extraterrestrial threat.

Following multiple storylines across different continents, Invasion takes a global look at how one alien invasion would affect us all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cracking trailer. That looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is one epic trailer...plus Sam Neill!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so War of the Worlds but not calling it that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That's a damn epic trailer! Wonder can the show deliver.
    Can't find an imdb for it. It has a wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_(upcoming_TV_series)

$200m budget.. so then it's down to the writing/directing I'd guess.
    Shamier Anderson (Dolls in Wynona Earp) is looking solid for a soldier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, looked incredibly generic to me. Maybe the trailer's just playing it coy but nothing grabbed me TBH. Just came off like the kind of network show that gets cancelled halfway through its run.

That budget is insane though. 200 million for a TV show that isn't an adapted, popular IP? Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, looked incredibly generic to me. Maybe the trailer's just playing it coy but nothing grabbed me TBH. Just came off like the kind of network show that gets cancelled halfway through its run.

That budget is insane though. 200 million for a TV show that isn't an adapted, popular IP? Crazy stuff.
    not adpated?
    the 3 legged alien at the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

not adpated?
    the 3 legged alien at the end

Obviously a creative inspiration but the trailer never hinted at an adaptation of that particular book TBH. It's not even named after it, which given the book's Public Domain wouldn't have been hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

there's a current WOTW on Disney/Canal Plus so ....

it does seem a bit the same, minus the steel spheres

pixelburp wrote: »
    Obviously a creative inspiration but the trailer never hinted at an adaptation of that particular book TBH. It's not even named after it, which given the book's Public Domain wouldn't have been hard ;)
    as pointed out there are too many adaptions of it, maybe its like how Star Trek Into Darkness didn't feature Khan....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

Weird how Sam Neil doesn't have any lines in that trailer.

Really feels like a SyFy summer show with more money. Which, ya know, may not be a bad thing lol.

Tone felt a bit glum in that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,056 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone start watching this? First 3 episodes available today.

The first episode was ok nothing great, However I'm getting put off by how dark they filmed it.

What is it with shows now being filmed so dark that it nearly impossible to see what's going on.

1: Well.. my first thought went to anyone else who might try to watch this for scifi/aliens.. it's a long episode.. a little stuff happens at the start, a little stuff happens at the end.. not monumental stuff.. but stuff.

Well..

eh.. so maybe.. maybe bodysnatchers. Maybe not, maybe just outright killing people... but like.. two of what feels like the main cast hit already.

Me when I saw the comms lady get to the launch vehicle "oooh.. they riding?" .. 3 mins and one comms test later "yep, they ridin" 😁

2: It's a bit of a slog getting through these. Stuff does happen.. not much.. and the big parts are toward the end of each episode.

I'm still

a bit clueless as to the invaders type/motivation/plan.. feels maybe a little like the Aliens-Are-Different (TM) feel of the Annihilation film

Aside from that, I'm guess this is an altertive universe / timeline / dimension or something

Token apple getting a dig in against tesla too.. right yeah.. ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_(2021_TV_series)

"Invasion is reported to have a $200 million budget"

and what.. exactly did they spend all that money on? snax?

3: Not much happened. Some stuff happened. Very little.

So like .. this Woji thing is a thing I guess..

What did they spend all that money on.. did they just fly around all the filming locations or something and spend all the money apple gave em... i dunno. Maybe there's something big to come later on.

Not very surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

That was fairly weak. The sort of pilot that came ten a penny a decade ago, and usually fell by the wayside.

i understand they’re going for a local angle, but seems like they’re in such a rush to tell all these little character details, they’re forgetting we’re here because we want to watch a show.

Just seemed like it was spread super thinly and then a rush to land the concept late on.

4: Well.. hrmm.. I dunno. Still a bit of mix of not moving along and what did they spend the $200m budget on.

Biggest weak points were automatic bullet fire not registering hits on walls/windows/car panelling.

Still though.. that dude

got messed up by the Alien! Protruding spikey alien spiking through his body (after I went back and paused on the frames of the scene.

For the big plot.. maybe it could be leading up to a big spend on special effects.. My current guess is:

they've just wiped out all space stuff we had. clearing away advanced intel and comms we might be able to use for mustering forces

seeing that had me thinking that maybe they'll be going at us something like the US going at Serbia during the Bosnian war

So maybe..

- take out our satellites and space stuff

-move to lower levels and take out our air and missile (especially nukes) capability from space

-take out land based defences from the air

-move in for ground assault

At the moment, the only force seen might just be scouts or an advance party

Could be all wrong with that and they've just wasted $200m somehow 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

I enjoyed the first episode, the second was decent but I fell asleep during the 3rd. It really is a bit of a slog tbh but Empire's review (Invasion Review | TV Show - Empire (empireonline.com)) makes me think I might watch another 1 or 2 (after finishing the 3rd)...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

I finished watching the Disney / Canal+ WotW version last month and in terms of engaging me in the story the Canal+ was much better. That felt much more real, more believable / relatable (if any of this is believable!) Agree with that Empire review and others; the whole thing is being dragged out, which is fine if it is building tension by doing so but this just feels boring.

It's a shame because I think there are great characters and actors here, with some individual nicely played scenes, but overall I don't get the point....and I do wonder where they spent the budget - unless it all went to Sam Neill?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just watched the first episode, did they really kill off that character at the end? If so wth, most of the reason I watched this to begin with ffs

Eh... I wouldn't assume that.. that ending was kind of mysterious and generally as a rule in most alien invasion shows.. I wouldn't even assume people that "were dead" were not bring backable in some alien way 😁

If you want to know more about it from the rest of the episodes:

We haven't the foggiest what happened to him yet 😁

5: Finnnnnaaallllyy some movement.. and the ending had a bit more pull to it.

Ewwweee gross, what was that thing inside the dude!?! 😲

Looked like they had all been cut up a bit by a creature similar to the one from the last episode which tore asunder the dude who shot at it.

Maybe it's a spore from the creature or just some bacteria.. or maybe like how they grow new versions of themselves like in the Alien films

More opening up about an attack from the radio broadcasts and the Presidents address seemed to go along with it.

(I did raise an eyebrow at the martial law bit)

Not sure about the message in the army base about something corrosive.

So.. I guess I wanna know more. Think I checked wiki though and saw it mention some critic who'd seen all the episodes saying they were just left confused.. so maybe not much more happens.

This weeks episode was a really good tense 30 minute episode and we finally got to see one.

6: Definitely needs to come with a: Dim the lights before watching notice! 🙂

Felt like a mini-horror-dark-monster-film episode.. still not seeing a $200 million budget though.. and 4 episodes left..

Alright, for a second there I was like.. why is it staying in the house with the rain! Maybe it's weakness is rain!! 😲 but then it attacked outside in the rain so .. maybe not 🙂

It looked a bit flappy/scaley/hollow after it died.. and when it was moving around in the house it looked a bit like what was in inside the guys chest in the last episode.. so feels a bit more like something that can grow.. so could the husband be infected maybe.

Well.. looks like thing the kid found is something that can hurt em.. maybe really sharp or radioactive or something

Maybe they've end-loaded the season with special effects using the money.. I dunno

Seems like this Andrew Baldwin guy got in on the writing for this episode and the next few:

Maybe this was a switch up to his style

No word on who wrote/directed the season finale:

Careful.. might be spoilers in the episode names

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_(2021_TV_series)

7: Still ain't seen $200million popping off the screen... 3 episodes left.

Anyway, so

Hive mind eh.. gets me reminded of the Star Trek Borg idea.. also thinking insect like.

The london kid seems like maybe he's somehow atuned to the aliens somehow.

That the aliens could be using a communications network makes sense.

Looks like the audience for this show is being kept away from the big action. Seems like bullets don't do much.. explosives and alien shared do. I imagine then that the first fights ended pretty quickly if not just from the blow away effect that happened to the Afghanistan squad.

8: Emmm.. so

Soldier.. eh I mean Operator is in London now... and has teamed up with kids...

US folks still got the piece of.. dangerous/interactive material..

Maybe.. maybe there'll be comms coming up..

Seems to be leaning to the kid being able to do mind-stuff against the Aliens.. that might be cool.

2 episodes left a a shedload of budget from the looks of things.

• Advertisement

9: Maybe rights to a David Bowie song cost $200m 😁 . Alright, what did I get from that episode...

Kid saw two stars above a planet in his vision so possibly they come from a binary star system. Planet looked very dusty rocky.. maybe it had been stripped clean.

The growth in the american forest along with the Japanese scientist saying about poisoning the environment says to me that there's some large scale teraforming going on.

The spikey things stopped.. so maybe they are like remote control things that are on auto most of the time.

They nuked something.. something that just doesn't seem big enough to be a source of a planet invasion. So maybe they just poked the hive.. and next will be an angry hive

Advertisement