Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon Young RIP

• 01-11-2021 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Sad news that former 2FM DJ Simon Young has passed away. Very sad news. May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,884 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The beatbox is a great memory from my childhood. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,797 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I only googled him last week when his name came up in conversation... a ‘ where are they now ‘ scenario...but read he’d been battling various health issues for a decade, depression and peripheral neuropathy which lead to lengthy hospitalizations... sad

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Very sad. He’d a tough time in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Rip to the real DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Max Power 2010

RIP Simon

Great memories of him when I was growing up, I found out some years ago he was one of my work colleagues Uncle's and he had filled me in on his health issues, so sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

Poor guy really went through tough times. I either heard or saw him interviewed some years ago and was shocked. Never take your health for granted, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

RIP Simon, another good memory from the childhoods of my generation is gone.

He was great on 2FM in its heyday of the mid 90’s. I remember hearing his weekend breakfast show a lot in those mid 90’s summers.

he appeared on the Brendan O’Connor show on RTE1 about 10 years ago looking in pretty poor shape, he had a rough time of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RIP. Did RTE news mention his passing at all? Cant find anything from them online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

part of the classic 2FM line up of the mid 80s to late 90s.

He presented, what was not meant to be his final 2FM show, just over 20 years ago (Ireland's Biggest Jukebox) and never returned due to health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Rest in peace Simon sorry to hear he had a rough time good memories of him on air during the best years of 2fm .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Ryan Tubridy mentioned him just now and apparently Will Leahy did something on RTE Gold earlier. Nothing on the news site from what I can see.

Ian Dempsey did a nice piece on him too before the 8am news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

great slagging between himself and Dustin on the Den

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Genuinely sorry to hear that. He seemed very down to earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Very sad to hear of Simon's passing. I was a fan all through his pirate days and on to RTE Radio 2 and then TV. A nice guy that I always hoped would make a return to air.

"Get ourra dat gardan" (or words to that effect)

RIP Simon.

Unless I've missed it, there's no mention of his passing on RTE's website. It goes to show that when you're gone, they quickly forget about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Very sad news.

A true gent, always friendly and funny, he had a really rough run over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Sad news alright. I remember Simon Young best on Ian Dempsey's breakfast show on 2FM with his "Get ourra dat garden"! He used to present a weekend breakfast show as well, and also a Saturday night dance show. Simon did turn up on the airwaves in the late '00s, presenting on temporary licensed Hot Country and Christmas FM. Which pirates was Simon with?

"hey Simon!...wha' time is it?"😀

Simon played Jimmy on the Ian Dempsey breakfast show.

He presented a lot of regular weekend programmes on 2FM (Poporama, Simon's Saturday Choice, Weekend Breakfast, Jimmy on Sunday, Ireland Biggest Jukebox and The Dance Show, (the first ever Dance show on 2FM in 1989) including the Beatbox on Sunday's on TV with Peter Collins... but I don't think had a permanent 2FM weekday slot, though he filled in a lot on the weekday schedule (for Ian and Larry for example).

One of his final shows on 2FM was in Spring 2001, filling in for Larry which I have recorded/

Some reports today are saying Simon lived in Washington DC, I don't think this is accurate and could be a final wind up by Simon on his location, from his social media pages !!

Post edited by ford fiesta on

Yes indeed I remember that well.

he was a true DJ- you could tell he was made for that work-sad that his health deteriorated.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

You should share that show on YouTube or something. Be a lot if interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Simon was on ARD and then Big D 273.

He also appeared in their "Wavelength" short film documentary made by Director Declan Lowney in 1980.

Post edited by Ger Roe on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Shay Byrne played Simon's jingle from his 2FM days at the end of Rising Time this morning.

When the news broke last night, one of the first things I did was to see if the Anorak Hour ever covered him. And I wasn't disappointed... https://www.mixcloud.com/radiowaves_fm/anorak-hour-from-phantom-fm-july-20th-2003-ger-roe-pete-reed/

It's a shame that we didn't hear much of him in recent years but I can't imagine what he had been through during that time.

I used to work with his cousin in a previous job so knew his real name for a long time but wasn't sure if it was public knowledge. Simon's brother (Glenn Meade) is an author of several books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

what age was he ?

mid fifties ?

I listened back on Will Leahy's tribute to him; he said he didn't know Simon's age but guessed it to be early 60s based on the age profile of 2FM DJs at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭RINO87

Also sad to hear this, I was only a kid when he was on but as others have said, have great memories of the Beatbox and Weekend Breakfast. He was good fun, and weekend breakfast on the radio usually meant you were up early for a day out, or something else exciting which added to it - for me anyway!

Loved his appearances on the Den too, he was like a fun relative that you used to enjoy coming over. Also remember he had a jokes page in the "Den" Magazine.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I believe he was 70.

Another one gone. May he RIP.

I don't know what year this photo was taken but it's from Brendan O'Carroll's "Hot Milk and Pepper" which ran from 1996-1999. It's startling to think that three of the men sitting on that sofa are no longer with us.

• Advertisement

more inaccurate reporting today. He was not 70, I would say 61/62.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Was thinking that was incorrect all right, early 60s at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

RIP Simon. One of the good guys.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Yeah about same age as Ian / Tony I'd have guessed. Ian turned 60 recently I think.

Simon Young tribute on now on Ray D'Arcy show, along with Ian Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,240 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

So he was sick quite a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

TBH, he's a name & voice I had forgotten from the classic days of 2FM. The name rang a bell and I Googled him earlier and came across this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

As well as being a contributor on The Den he used to fill in for Ray when he was away too. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy1S7GAZgg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

A true legend, in the 80's if you lived in the countryside and wanted to hear dance or house music (with a bit of hip hop thrown in) then Simon young on a Saturday night was the only place you could get it, i used to tape his shows religiously (tapes long gone sadly) I met him in later years and thanked him for making me want to be a DJ. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

We hope to archive another one with Simon featured tomorrow.

BTW this is a good place to go if you're looking for something on The Anorak Hour.

http://radiowaves.fm/ire/radio-retro-anorak-hour-index/

With Ger's help we're adding more episodes all the time, especially earlier editions.

All the main news outlets right now are saying 70-strange as I thought he was about 64 or 65 myself - maybe RTÉ news at 9pm might give a definitive - he was definitely an “older” DJ in the late 80s compared to many others on 2FM at the time but still wouldn’t have had him that old

I'm finding it hard to believe he was 70. With the standard of journalism that's out there now, it makes me wonder are they all just using Google and getting the 70 from the one source? Looking at that photo of him on the sofa with Tony Fenton, Gerry Ryan and Dave Fanning, he doesn't look any older than them. They're all in the 60-65 age range.

as mentioned above, he was around 62..Ian Dempsey refereed to the incorrect age reporting today and said he was a year or 2 older than himself and Ian should know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Very sad news. May he rest in peace. Condolences to family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Sad to hear this news today. Many memories of Simon on 2FM and RTÉ tv over the years. The beatbox and his regular slot on the Den. I’m reminded too of a series called pay the price which he co presented with Roscha Murphy in a Saturday evening teatime slot. His character Jimmy was a long running fixture on the 2fm breakfast show. I was also surprised to hear him on one of the late night talk shows on either 98fm or fm104 back in 1999/2000. Presume this was after Simon had left RTÉ. He was the first host of the 2fm dance show on Saturday nights and is also fondly remembered for irelands biggest jukebox. Very likeable presenter. Seemed to be living in Washington DC in recent times. RIP

Simon was not living in washington DC, some inaccurate reporting out there !!

Simon took sick leave from 2FM in 2001 and never returned

That's coming from his Twitter profile. Goodness knows if or when he was living there. At this stage, if a newspaper article about him said the sky was blue today I'd look out the window and check.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes, I used to listen to his show as a teenager, getting into house and dance music in the late '80s. It was so hard to find music like that back then. Seemed like a lovely guy. RIP DJ Simon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

This is very funny.

RIP to another voice of my childhood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement