Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Young RIP

• 31-10-2021 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

Sad news that former 2FM DJ Simon Young has passed away. Very sad news. May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The beatbox is a great memory from my childhood. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I only googled him last week when his name came up in conversation... a ‘ where are they now ‘ scenario...but read he’d been battling various health issues for a decade, depression and peripheral neuropathy which lead to lengthy hospitalizations... sad

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Very sad. He’d a tough time in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Rip to the real DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

RIP Simon

Great memories of him when I was growing up, I found out some years ago he was one of my work colleagues Uncle's and he had filled me in on his health issues, so sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Tork

Poor guy really went through tough times. I either heard or saw him interviewed some years ago and was shocked. Never take your health for granted, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

RIP Simon, another good memory from the childhoods of my generation is gone.

He was great on 2FM in its heyday of the mid 90’s. I remember hearing his weekend breakfast show a lot in those mid 90’s summers.

he appeared on the Brendan O’Connor show on RTE1 about 10 years ago looking in pretty poor shape, he had a rough time of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RIP. Did RTE news mention his passing at all? Cant find anything from them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

part of the classic 2FM line up of the mid 80s to late 90s.

He presented, what was not meant to be his final 2FM show, just over 20 years ago (Ireland's Biggest Jukebox) and never returned due to health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Rest in peace Simon sorry to hear he had a rough time good memories of him on air during the best years of 2fm .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Ryan Tubridy mentioned him just now and apparently Will Leahy did something on RTE Gold earlier. Nothing on the news site from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ian Dempsey did a nice piece on him too before the 8am news.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

great slagging between himself and Dustin on the Den

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Genuinely sorry to hear that. He seemed very down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Very sad to hear of Simon's passing. I was a fan all through his pirate days and on to RTE Radio 2 and then TV. A nice guy that I always hoped would make a return to air.

"Get ourra dat gardan" (or words to that effect)

RIP Simon.

Unless I've missed it, there's no mention of his passing on RTE's website. It goes to show that when you're gone, they quickly forget about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Very sad news.

A true gent, always friendly and funny, he had a really rough run over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Sad news alright. I remember Simon Young best on Ian Dempsey's breakfast show on 2FM with his "Get ourra dat garden"! He used to present a weekend breakfast show as well, and also a Saturday night dance show. Simon did turn up on the airwaves in the late '00s, presenting on temporary licensed Hot Country and Christmas FM. Which pirates was Simon with?

"hey Simon!...wha' time is it?"😀

Simon played Jimmy on the Ian Dempsey breakfast show.

He presented a lot of regular weekend programmes on 2FM (Poporama, Simon's Saturday Choice, Weekend Breakfast, Jimmy on Sunday, Ireland Biggest Jukebox and The Dance Show, (the first ever Dance show on 2FM in 1989) including the Beatbox on Sunday's on TV with Peter Collins... but I don't think had a permanent 2FM weekday slot, though he filled in a lot on the weekday schedule (for Ian and Larry for example).

One of his final shows on 2FM was in Spring 2001, filling in for Larry which I have recorded/

Some reports today are saying Simon lived in Washington DC, I don't think this is accurate and could be a final wind up by Simon on his location, from his social media pages !!

Post edited by ford fiesta on

Yes indeed I remember that well.

he was a true DJ- you could tell he was made for that work-sad that his health deteriorated.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

You should share that show on YouTube or something. Be a lot if interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Simon was on ARD and then Big D 273.

He also appeared in their "Wavelength" short film documentary made by Director Declan Lowney in 1980.

Post edited by Ger Roe on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Shay Byrne played Simon's jingle from his 2FM days at the end of Rising Time this morning.

When the news broke last night, one of the first things I did was to see if the Anorak Hour ever covered him. And I wasn't disappointed... https://www.mixcloud.com/radiowaves_fm/anorak-hour-from-phantom-fm-july-20th-2003-ger-roe-pete-reed/

It's a shame that we didn't hear much of him in recent years but I can't imagine what he had been through during that time.

I used to work with his cousin in a previous job so knew his real name for a long time but wasn't sure if it was public knowledge. Simon's brother (Glenn Meade) is an author of several books.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

what age was he ?

mid fifties ?

I listened back on Will Leahy's tribute to him; he said he didn't know Simon's age but guessed it to be early 60s based on the age profile of 2FM DJs at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

Also sad to hear this, I was only a kid when he was on but as others have said, have great memories of the Beatbox and Weekend Breakfast. He was good fun, and weekend breakfast on the radio usually meant you were up early for a day out, or something else exciting which added to it - for me anyway!

Loved his appearances on the Den too, he was like a fun relative that you used to enjoy coming over. Also remember he had a jokes page in the "Den" Magazine.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I believe he was 70.

Another one gone. May he RIP.

I don't know what year this photo was taken but it's from Brendan O'Carroll's "Hot Milk and Pepper" which ran from 1996-1999. It's startling to think that three of the men sitting on that sofa are no longer with us.

• Advertisement

more inaccurate reporting today. He was not 70, I would say 61/62.

Advertisement