Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A8 opinion and recommendations

Options
  • 31-10-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking at upgrading my car before or after Christmas I'm looking at Audi A6 or A8 have around 20k looking at finance aswell but don't want to be paying it back over 5 years unless 0% .

I drove a 2014 A8 3.0 quattro was very nice and comfortable , super quick but they are around 20k and its only a 2014

Would anyone recommend anything eles to look at with same comfort and speed. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

20k is going to be very cheap for a 2014 A8, I'd say that's a high miler.

A6 S Line with low mileage 14/15 will be the best part of 20k from a dealer and thats the 2.0 tdi....SE will be cheaper but don't look as well. There's 3.0tdi quattro in the a6 which will be as fast if not faster than the a8, but they're as dear as the a8 really.

Obvious competitor will be a bmw 530d or 730d. Or some of the lexus hybrid will have loads of power too

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭StephenRy30

Thanks for the help yeah I know bmw would be up there but maybe something different if cant get an Audi so just the lexus hybrid?

Volkswagen gti, R , Skoda vrs ? Maybe something cheaper but good bit of power ? Would get it remapped if option is there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

S Line isn't everyones taste as the ride is harsher, especially on the larger wheels.

But in its Avant guise, the A6 looks fantastic, probably the nicest estate since Alfa Romeo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The facelift of that model A8 from around 2014 on is a nice car. The earlier versions of that model didn't look great.

They are reasonable value and possibly cheaper than a 3.0 quattro A6.

What about a jag xj?

The one I test drove had 99 miles on it was thinking if I bought it keep for a year then sell so will make money back on it

• Advertisement

Do like the jag was looking at the XE before but don't no much about the jag pros & cons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The build quality between a jag XF and Audi A6/bmw 5 is night and day.

was in your situation a year ago with 20k and was looking at the jag.

always look for something a bit different myself.

lovely on the outside and look great inside but the interior build quality is like a Lego set, and the seats are horrendous.

engine noise and vibration is bad too and wind noise.

and it feels slow.

I’ve owned a few Saab’s in my time so interior build quality isn’t that much of a deal breaker for me but for the money the jag commands I couldn’t do it.

got myself an Audi A6 142 facelift with big mmi, electric seats , dsg, and grey interior and well happy.

it’s a 2.0 diesel but is plenty powerful and the gearbox is great, and smooth to drive.

best to go for a drive in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was talking about xj jag as if comparing to A8, an xf just wouldn't cut it.

Very poor choice In. Xj here now though so probably not a runner at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

A8 all day long. Up there with the best ever luxury saloons. Life is too short not too especially if as you say you don't intend to hold on it for too long. An A6 is a good car but if you got one, every time you saw an A8 you would doubt your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's hard to know if the OP is genuine or not going by his previous threads that involved "buying" a Octavia RS, Tesla Model 3, Merc CLS, BMWs and VWs:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058176808/bmw-m-sport-vs-skoda-vrs#latest

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058184417/going-electric-tesla-model-3#latest

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058204383/which-volkswagen-to-buy#latest

Now we are discussing an A8. Not trying to sound like a dick but I don't think the OP knows what they want or what they can actually afford and is just popping out random models every now and then. Buying a car like an A8 is only the entrance fee to ownership, running a car like an A8 is a different proposition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My brother has owned a 2012 A8 for a couple of years and, as a way to get around, it's amazing.

However, should something go wrong it gets expensive, very expensive.

I asked the same question about the A8 in a recent post and that's the answer I got too.

Buy one if you want but be prepared to include the possible maintenance costs, outside of regular servicing.

I'm still looking at one, and I think the inclusion of a decent years warranty would go a long way to easing my mind, but you are spending 24k from a dealer/SIMI for that kind of peace of mind.

I wouldn't touch one from a private seller, way too many things to go wrong and you are spending new car money on a 8/9 year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I can understand a6/a8 question but skoda vrs and golf gti in same question?

They'd barely be on the radar of someone looking at a4s. A3 competitors really.

For anyone budget you can buy everything from a8/s class to a micra, just a matter of age. Figure out the car you want because it's tricky to advise.

I have a6 currently and my next car will either be another a6 phev or a 530e, direct competitors just a matter of preference really.

Advertisement