Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top 100 TV shows of the 20th century

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Wheres the Sopranos?

Am I blind?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've only seen 5 of their top 20. (The Wire, The Office UK, Chernobyl, Deadwood and Lost). Might have to give a few of these a go.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've about 10 shows in the top 20 that I've to get around to watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Seems odd to omit the handful of shows that just miss the 21st century cut off point yet are considered landmark shows of this recent Golden Age of TV that somewhat defines TV of the 21st century.

If it weren't for the Simpsons you could probably change the criteria to "primarily aired in the 21st century" and it would somehow feel more complete.

(and if you want to be really pedantic about their criteria you could say that the shows in the list that did start in 2000 technically didn't first air in the 21st century)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

How the Hell is Narcos only No 84 ? Certainly top 5 in my view, maybe only second to the Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd have Battlestar a lot higher than 70th It's a top 10 show for me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They have Grey's Anatomy ahead of The Shield??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well Grey's does advance storylines and has a nice and consistent patter, The Shield is a bit rinse and repeat of who's the most corrupt this season, very good in spots but really defied credibility at others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would associate defying credibility more with Grey's anatomy tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, people know that but it does what it does very well. It is a soap with very relatable and more importantly attractive characters but it's been a very long time since it had anything to do with medicine! The Shield goes the gritty semi-realistic route but has some very ludicrous premises to it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm very surprised "Always Sunny" got a mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭billyhead

Likewise Gomorrah however I don't think foreign spoken series are considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some foreign language stuff did make it, the killing and call my agent are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

For the most part, a fair ranking. But some inexplicable inclusions - Big Bang Theory at #56, for example. It’s striking that despite the overwhelming number of critics being non-American, with a sizeable minority being from outside the Anglosphere, it gives a very American ranking.

One reason for this is surely that critics give only their top 10, which are then combined to create a group 100. Anyone who’s studied voter theory knows that that method is dubious and will elevate big name series, like it elevates big name political parties.

Big Bang Theory is famously popular in foreign countries, presumably because of how basic the humour is. It was voted for by seven critics, six of whom were Indian or Chinese. Love/Hate and Derry Girls got a shoutout each from the Irish reviewers, but to no avail!

Interesting that the Killing, which single-handedly popularised Scandinoir (and arguably foreign language programming, generally) in the UK, is well below the Bridge. As it happens, I actually agree.

If you’d conducted this survey five years ago, you’d think Black Mirror, Orange Is the New Black, Arrested Development, Homeland, House of Cards, Master of None, Louie…would be much higher. The first four had underwhelming later seasons; the rest had leads involved harassment scandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭thebronze14

Only watched 10 of those shows to any great extent😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

I heard Ian Dempsey read this list out last week, I was shocked but presently surprised to hear The Leftovers being called out. Nearly finished it, it is one of the best shows I've had the pleasure of watching, incredible television experience and one I like to digest slowly. Hard to describe it, but the remarkable thing is, unlike the rest of the top 10, anyone I recommend it to haven't even heard of it.

Brilliant tele, highly deserved and recommended!

Good to see Utopia make the list at no 74, even it should be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Watch very few TV shows anyway so can't comment greatly on the list. One of the very best I've seen in recent years was The Terror (season 1). Superbly produced and performed I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I wonder was Reality TV permitted or is it just that the 206 TV experts don't care very much for the subgenre?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Gogglebox was voted for by one of the Irish critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Awesome to see the Detectorists well up there, a great big hug in the form of a Tv Show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Very inconsistent list but quite a few gems in there too.

'Pose' and 'I may destroy you', I have never heard of so have added them to my watchlist as a result.

Delighted to see Halt and catch fire made the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like Fleabag but 4th, seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maybe I'm blind but I'm not seeing Ozark?

Crazy the amount of crap ahead of the likes of Sunny in Philadelphia and The Queens Gambit!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Great to see The Leftovers get a top 10 mention. A highly under-rated show.

Out of the top 20 shows that I have watched I think Breaking Bad, Lost, Succession, Chernobyl, The Leftovers and The Office (UK) are all deserving of top 20 rankings.  

I also don't understand the inclusion of Fleabag and also I May Destroy You.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

Wow . Halt and catch fire. That was a nice surprise in there. Dark, Mindhunter... nice.

Cant believe my favourite of the 21st C isnt even in there: Mr. Robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Started Succession last week. It’s not short of Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is Star Trek in it and preferably at number 1 as it should be?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement