Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

That’s Dunphys MO regardless of who’s on, remember Brendan, lord ha ha, ONeil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Tomas Ryan was bang on about the government's motives in stopping the track and trace of children with covid. They don't have the competence to carry it out so suddenly it is a matter of privacy concerns. It reminds me of when the science told them that masks don't help because they didn't have enough masks for the country. They have been constantly massaging and hiding numbers when it comes to schools and if it was the Chinese or Russian governments up to these tricks it would be roundly criticized.

Unfortunately nobody is listening anymore but the brazenness of this government is really shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

T Ryan, Eamo, Pat Kenny etc. are all drunk on Covid reporting as it has given them unexpected platform/meaning/purpose. Don't forget they are all directly compensated (ad revenue, research funding) for the ardent viewpoint they promote. And yet still they represent themselves as nervous grannies behind twitching curtains... lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

EVeryone's in on the grift, everyone but you, you're wayyy too smart aren't you.

They aren't compensated for their viewpoints, they are compensated for creating content that people want to listen to. And I don't see any of them presenting themselves as anything, or is that what someone is doing when expressing an opinion of their own?

• Advertisement

You could make an argument that the Irish gov are negligent (deals with private hospitals during Covid, vulture funds, REITs, tax haven, housing) and that the HSE are poor performers (only just recovered from cervical check scandal, in-fighting academics, long Covid scare stories, "Worry Index" scare polls). Everyone already knows about the pharma cos (decreasing life expectancy in US due to opiois crisi). 

But the Irish media thinks these are all great lads and have - uniformly unrelentingly - scared the living daylights out of the public. Our behavioural scientists published a paper that expressed awe at how compliant the Irish public had been. (I will leave it up to you if you take that as a compliment :-) That level of obedience was created by our media. I just don't see that as their responsibility. And they are all making money out of Covid and have seen their future business model too. Remember when we used to laugh at the dumb US TV news channels peddling fear...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't really follow the fake news media and their pushing of this nonsense

Curious to know where you get your information to be able to determine what is nonsense and what isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Jesus but Eammo’s utter fixation on all matters UK is becoming awfully tedious at this point. There’s a whole other world out there. Move on for God’s sake. Push yourself outside your comfort zone….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't have a problem with him doing UK episodes. Like it or not, they are our nearest neighbours, we share a land border with them and we are affected by events in those countries. Brexit is turning into a shitshow and goodness knows what blowback we're going to suffer from it here. Chris Johns is an excellent contributor and a big step up from the woeful Brendan O'Neill. If he was to drop one of the recurring episodes and branch out into new territory, it'd have to be the Tomás Ryan ones. I think Eamon's own underlying health conditions are driving his fear of Covid and is maybe too willing to listen to Ryan. The Russian ones make for comedic listening, either because the journalist is brainwashed or knows he'll be having an unfortunate "accident" if he deviates from the party line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Eamon seems to be missing Trump if his latest US reports are anything to go by.

Ep 1220: Trump’s Republican Party Set to Capitalise on Biden’s Pyrrhic Victory

Niall Stanage reports from Washington.

Ep 1214: Incompetence Becoming the Trademark for Biden Administration

Niall Stanage, Associate Editor of The Hill and White House Columnist, talks to Eamon.

Ep 1206: Democratic Light Fading in The United States

Niall Stanage, Associate Editor of The HIll and White House Columnist, reports from Washington.

• Advertisement

Trump is still big box office, whether we like it or not. It's looking increasingly like he's going to run for President again in 2024, meaning he is a significant figure to track. As far as I can see, the only things that'll stop him are his health or him going to prison in the meantime. The 2022 primaries are on the horizon and because of Trump's grip on the Republican Party, he is going to be a significant influence on the candidates they run. I'd dearly love for him to go away permanently but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

Post edited by Tork on

No, not a chance. So unless his years of bad living finally catch up with him, he'll be running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

fairly techy at times discussing Stephen Kenny and Ireland, reminded me of the good old days of the RTE panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

It was a complete **** show, but amusing nonetheless! They spent half the podcast correcting each other over easily verified facts such as who they played or what position players played in.. The tiniest bit of preparation would've helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, Eamon has gone on one of his blind crusades over Stephen Kenny. True to form, he even sh1t all over one of his "friends", Didi Hamann in the previous episode. Guess we won't be hearing Didi on with him again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

A complete shitshow but I felt sorry for Brady who isn’t as doddery as giles or as strange as dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It appears Kenny is now the managerial equivalent of Andy Reid or Wes Holohan. I do love tunnel vision Eamo though, can be very entertaining.

I think it's the populist view as an overwhelming majority of fans at the games seem to be firmly behind Kenny. Nothing wrong with nailing your colours to the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I normally like the Nicola Talent episodes but Jaysus Eamon tripping over himself time and again to say the monk was just a regular decent criminal gets a bit tiring. Just because he apparently didn’t meddle in drugs doesn’t mean he isn’t a scourge on society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"You can't get good coke in this town" lamented Eamonn back in the day.

He keeps going on about Biden being a lame duck, it like that David mc savage sketch about joe Duffy and any mention of trump and he shoots his pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I liked the utter randomness of the Rolling Stones / Beatles discussion.

"Marianne Faithfull, she was a won hit wonder I believe" Classic Eamon.

Very good recent episode with Una Mullally about the tragic decline of Dublin City. Eoin Keegan (previously of Davy Stockbrokers) gets the mention he deserves.

As does An Bord Pleanála whose board members are listed on their website. These are your representatives whom overrule their own employees so they can grant planning permission for developments that staggeringly betray Irish people/heritage. For your attention/appreciation then we have:  

Dave Walsh (Chairperson)

Paul Hyde (Deputy Chairperson)

Dr Maria FitzGerald

John Connolly

Terry Ó Niadh

Michelle Fagan

Chris McGarry

Stephen Bohan 

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He has Ryan on again today.

I dont care what that chap has to say but the sound quality made me think that Ryaner was sitting on his jacks and speaking down an empty loo-roll.

Which fits my opinion of what I think he is: an utter looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamo asked Ryan if he ever pulled in Coppers lol.

Probably the only bit of the podcast worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sitting on the jacks would be perfectly appropriate considering the amount of scutter that comes out of his mouth

Again with all the criticism of Tomas Ryan but no examples of the apparent 'nonsense'.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that you just don't care about covid anymore; indeed it's better than pretending that it's no longer an issue.

Let's not forget that the people who shout the loudest are the ones with the most extreme views. I don't believe it's that people don't care" about Covid. Instead, there seems to be an acceptance that Covid isn't going away despite the vaccines and the restrictions. People just want to get on with their lives and have had enough. That Level 5 after Christmas was a gamechanger in my opinion and anybody I've spoken to always mentions how hellish that particular one was. That isn't to say they aren't aware that they run the risk of catching it and some will curtail their behaviour more than others. Tomás Ryan always comes across to me like a man who might be on the spectrum and doesn't understand human nature all that well. We all know that if everyone stayed at home and restricted their contacts, the cases would drop like a stone. But there seems to be no desire to do that now and fatigue has well and truly set in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Suggesting somebody is "on the spectrum" is not on. At all. Especially when used as a negative.

Advertisement