Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People not controlling their dogs.

• 23-10-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Bit of a rant post but would like to hear other peoples opinions.

I got a gravel bike recently and it seems to be that a minority of people don't like to control there dogs. Mostly happens in forests when a dog comes up around the bike barking etc and making me have to get off the bike for my own safety in case they decide to have a nip.

When I ask the owners to please control there dog they don't do it and let the dog away with getting aggressive. They seem to think it's not there responsibility.

Do other people have this issue. Most of the time I keep cycling but sometimes that's not possible.

Post edited by Weepsie on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I experience the same as a pedestrian. Very few people control their dog with the lead in such a way that if it decides to walk into my path they’ll be able to stop it. I’ll sometimes get an instinctive ‘sorry’ but it’s worthless if they make no adjustment in future.

And, ofc, there are the people who allow their dogs run wild in parks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,989 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i only the other day had to ask a woman to leash her dog at the fairview end of the sutton cycleway; where the footpath and cycle path are immediately adjacent. the dog was off the leash and zigzagging up the cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

And also the issue of the dog coming onto your side of the footpath or beyond and the lead left like a tripwire in front of the pedestrian...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

At least when the dog owner is in the vicinity, there's some hope of a bit of control. It's the owners of unattended dogs emerging from rural properties that I'd find more annoying/dangerous. There are two roads in my vicinity that are virtually impossible to cycle/walk on because of aggressive dogs. The council dog warden can't get anywhere with the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

I've experienced it on a couple of occasions with dogs shooting out of country laneways. I fell of the bike on one occasion as I lost my balance when trying to avoid one. The owners don't give a toss about keeping them under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

This is a big problem for cyclists and pedestrians in public places like forests,parks etc. Most of these places are sign posted saying keep your dog on a lead, people can't seen to do that. I bring my dogs on walks to forests,greenways etc and constantly have to deal with other dogs off leads. It doesn't matter their dog is friendly or not, dog owners need to realise that some don't like dogs or have a fear of them. You've two things to do when you are in public with a dog, pick up after them and keep them under control and if you can't do that then you probably shouldn't have a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Generally find dogs on those long leads with their owner wearing headphones a hazard while out .

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

I never stop for barking dogs. To be fair, 99% of dogs are only barking and not aggressive. In all the years cycling I only came across 1 agressive dog, which was a springer spaniel. I didn't stop because it was genuinely viscious and making **** of the bike/trying to go for my leg. I proceeded to run over it with my bike and it ran off yelping.....I'm not sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Being in a rural location the main issue I see (occasionally only though) is the odd dog running out of a property chasing you. Years ago when frame pumps were a thing it was a case of grabbing the pump when you saw the dog coming and wallop him on the nose.

Now I've resorted to grabbing the bidon and giving the a face full of water

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There is Legislation covering this under the control of dogs act

• Advertisement

Easier said than done.

In a public area such as a beach, park, forest trail etc. it's not possible to identify the owner after the fact.

Even if a property is identified, the resident/residents can just deny ownership of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I heard a story about a local farmer years ago in a situation like that where a dog from a nearby halting site was terrorising his sheep. He drove into the halting site (with his shotgun) and saw the dog. He asked all the "residents" who owned the dog and of course none of them did. So he shot the dog!

The version I heard was that (after reports that dogs worrying sheep came from a local halting site) a Garda sergeant visited a halting site and asked the residents for their dog licenses. All denied that they owned any of the dogs. 'Ah he's just a stray that wandered in' sort of thing. The sergeant rounded up all the unclaimed dogs and had them 'destroyed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As an owner of a springer spaniel I endorse that comment. a dog breed with ADHD. Big trucks and speeding vehicles can set him

off

I keep him on a short lease. A cyclist took the corner tight in Seafield road the other day while I was walking him. He jumped up and started barking. ( never leaving the path) all I heard from the cyclist was a big “Jesus@

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

So many dog owners are completely oblivious to the fact that not everyone is a dog lover, lots of kids and older people are actually afraid of dogs. The number of dogs seems to have doubled in the past year or two, they're everywhere, and not every owner picks up their mess either. It's disgusting for wheelchair users and families with buggies. All dogs in public places should be on a lead, no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I was sitting on a bench in bushy with the kids few weeks back. It was packed and we were eating ham sandwiches. I milled mine. A golden labador off the lead walked right up to my 8 year old and robbed his sandwich out of his hand. Fuming i was and asked the woman to get her dog on a lead. The child was starving. She didn't care it was off the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

I love springers, and I had 2 of them growing up. They're truly the best and loyal dogs. Absolute mental cases of course. Usually not viscious but this one I encountered was actually frightening. Didn't want to hurt it but I will never stop for a dog that's trying to hurt me.

Funnily enough I was doing a night cycle recently and coming back through the town when a drunk man tried to purposely obstruct me (saw it happen a mile off) and kept trying to jump infront of me. I employ the same tactic. Speed up, brace my shoulder out, and if you get hit it's not my fault. Was enough to make him move and stop acting the bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gardai don't have discretion to destroy unclaimed dogs. No vet would proceed on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unfortunately i have a barky dog, she truly does not like cyclists, for whatever reasons, always wondered how she d react if i passed her on my bike! theres nothing i can truly do about this, as its a fear/anxiety reaction, she reacts badly to lots of things, shes a very anxious dog, its bloody annoying for me, and im sure for others also, i just have to watch everything around me while walking her, and pull her away from potentials

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Personally I put up with dogs. Even the mad collies running out of farm yards. Fundamentally I just like them.

But we've one kid that's petrified of dogs.

I've tried and she can now stomach the neighbour's ones. But

1. My wife is bad with them

2. A dog jumped into the buggies at her one day, I assume in a friendly manner but my wife didn't deal with it well.

So loose dogs on a walk are a disaster.

There are owners out there who really think a crying child shaking at the thought of a dog will be fine cus "he's friendly" or worse a little **** of a terrior barking who is "harmless"

I love dogs. But I don't assume everyone does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

Have you tried a dog trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No dogs off leash signs/pick up your dog shît signs ignored. Rules are for other people, not me and my lockdown fur baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I've a dog and he's unleashed at all times on beaches, mountains and parks. Fantastic recall and not interested in other people in the slightest even if they show interest in him. Unfortunately there are many people also in the parks who's dogs are not under their control iv'e even been bitten by a dog some years ago myself whilst out jogging.

Anyway my point is that it's unfair to punish all dog owners because there are a few idiots out there who fail to leash their animal if they can't control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we havent but its hard to know if its too late now, shes getting on in age, im just aware of her reactions now, so prepare for them, not very comforting for others though, some people just laugh, but....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,989 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone i know vaguely posted a photo of their dog in the dunes at dollymount recently, and i bit my tongue.

an example article below, and dogs have driven the bull island hare population to extinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was part of a local litter cleanup yesterday, and the most frequent single item was bagged dogsh1t. There's plenty of undergrowth available, so if they just through the dogsh1t into the undergrowth, nature would look after it. But instead, they put it in a plastic bag that will take decades if not centuries to biodegrade, and throw it just far enough to leave it visible. If anyone knows a dog owner in south Dublin who uses white plastic bags with yellow polkadots for their dogsh1t, I'd like to have a word with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe if all people were actually arsed about responsible pet ownership there wouldn't be a need to "punish" everyone, yet here we are.

Tbf lots of amenities have rules, their place-their rules. Dont like them? Go somewhere else or reconsider your choice of pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

It might be worth asking a dog trainer if they think the dog is too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The dog would appreciate a swift kick in the head and hopefully you have a rear facing GoPro to capture the owners face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,843 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They would have discretion to call the dog warden. If the dogs weren't claimed in time then they would be destroyed.

Advertisement