Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People not controlling their dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Anybody know of any app that could be (successfully)used to keep dogs away. I have one or two that race out of their gates and bark aggressively on my regular walk route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was on a beach recently and a Labrador ran up to a guy fishing and pissed all over his fishing bag. The owner didn't apologise and said the dog was entitled to be on the beach.

Think we need real comedy shows lampooning and highlighting the stuff that actually goes on in society. I don't think people are aware of how stupid things are.

Like the posh lady who ties bags of shite to a tree. Or the dog breeder with 27 puppies in the boot of his car. Or the guy with a dog on the 50 foot leash. Or the children bringing a load of dog **** into their house. Hilarious stuff. Or people with dogs as baby replacements.

With Benny Hill music as the background music ...

It's all a bit nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭gn3dr

That the owner didn't apologise is unbelievable - what a pr1ck

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭johnjohn3423

OP again, this isn't about people not liking dogs or not it's about some dog owners not having consideration for other members of the public. From past experience if a dog owner doesn't call the dog back immediately if it's causing trouble then you won't get any joy out of asking them politely to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭piplip87

I have a dog who hates bikes, simple thing is when you see a cyclist approaching grab her attention, cross the road or change direction.

I get you like dogs but I don't see why liking dogs or not has anything to do with a dog trying to attack you whilst on a bike.

I just can't be arsed to learn the difference to be honest, plus I know it annoyes some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

I remember a few years back on a club spin, about 10 of us doing a good speed up-and-overs, when a Jack Russell type yoke raced out of a rural house and launched himself in between the lines; for about 200 yards he thought he was a canine Tom Boonen in an echelon, hopping between the wheels, scaring the sh1te out of us; mercifully he slowed down without mangling himself in a wheel and we survived. Every time since we have a 'squirt first' policy with bottles ready at the sight of any loose dog on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Its a problem everywhere. As others have said, some dog owners are oblivious that some people may not like dogs, or indeed be afraid of them.

Our dog is always on a lead for this reason. He's very big too so generally people are wary of him.

We recently moved from the city to the countryside and whilst in the city my biggest issue was cyclists using footpaths, my dog doesn't react well to bikes and there have been close calls where cyclists fly by me (from behind) with literally just a few cm's room and no warning of their approach. Also just to add, I never wear earphones on my walks. Even on a short leash, the dog can still attempt to jump at something.

Having grown up in the countryside, I totally forgot until our recent move back just how many dogs are allowed run freely outside their property, my cycling speed has dramatically increased in a short period of time because of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Because generally the dog doesn't "attack"

It chases you off it's property

Not ideal. But not heart stopping stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was someone from this parish who had one or both of his overshoes shredded by dogs near ballyboughal a few years ago. and i think mercian pro knows someone who ended up with sepsis from a dog bite inflicted while he was out cycling.

I remember the post about sepsis but not the poster, reporting hospitalisation after that and it being pretty serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't recall any issues on the gravel bike, but I do try to get through the popular walking areas early. A real bugbare when walking and running though. Especially when the children were young. "He only wants to play" - ok, I'll trust some randomer that their random dog that they can't control isn't going to bite...

I'd also be pretty convinced that the majority of those that insist on no lead it is an excuse to "not see" their dog crap, so they don't have to pick it up.

I've lots of experience with them running out of rural houses, but was maybe more an issue way back in the 80's? Used to be quite frequent then, but as I was only a lad, I was probably passing the same few dogs! Squirt of the water bottle normally does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No it doesn't. Cyclists don't make a habit of entering private property. The dogs chase people off public roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,518 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thankfully the dog i used to have most trouble with doesn't seem to have been there for the last year or so, but there seems to have been some construction work on the property. it was a house about 1.5km north of ardcath, and fine if you were passing the house going downhill, but i used to have to avoid going uphill on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Just saying, there's no legal obligation to have a dog on a lead in many public places, so some people get worked up over nothing when they see some saunter by off one,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Three years later my friend is still on dialysis three days a week and awaiting a kidney transplant. The critical issue was not realising the potential seriousness of a small bite and obtaining antibiotic treatment. Sepsis often goes unrecognised by GPs and Out Patient Departments and even my own GP talked about an anti-tetanus injection when I told him what happened despite the fact that it would have done nothing to counter the sepsis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

What public places are these (other than dedicated dog parks) ? A dog must be under control at all times. The only way to do this in public in general is with a lead.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/print#sec9

A friend of mine was out on a training spin 2 weeks ago. She now has a broken collar bone, chip in shoulder bone, and fractured leg. All because 3 dogs came flying out of some ones drive way and did a suicide run as the group was passing. 2 other cyclists went down. One of the dogs was killed. The owners should have had their dogs under control so they couldn't just randomly leave the property and chase the public.

Every beach, park, beauty spot, walking trails etc. in my area has signage stating that dogs must be on a lead.

the thing is the law states 'under effectual control', which does not specify a lead. if a dog is fully obedient to the voice commands of the owner, the owner could easily claim it's under their effectual control.

As Wishbone Ash says, many places at least have signage saying dogs should be on lead - no idea of the legal standing, I assume it would require bylaws. However, I call BS on most dogs not on leads being under effective control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Issue here with OP is the dog not being under control - If the dog is under control (on or off lead) that's not being argued.

It's the irresponsible owners that have no control or simply ignore laws without any recrimination is more the issue.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

In general I have found that dogs (whether on leads or not) and bikes just don't mix. They are my biggest fear when cycling on country roads. One of the roads I cycle frequently has a farmers dog that has a tendency to shoot out of the gate like a rocket. Never does anything other than run beside me for a bit barking but it is still unnerving. I've toyed with knocking at the house a couple of times but not done so yet.

On another stretch of road there is a dog always in the garden - no way it can get out but it barks like mad when you go past on a bike. I know it's there, I know it's going to bark but the f***er still makes me jump every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

I watched the same thing happen in a race, dog ran straight out into the bunch, about two-thirds of the way back. At least one broken collarbone and plenty of minor injuries. (Thankfully I was out the back so was able to stop in time!)

Like MagicBastarder points out, it's usually under effectual control, which does not mean a lead. Not many places have it in their by-laws that a lead is mandatory, a lot of parks do alright, but from my time as a dog owner they were in their minority.

It doesn't say that in the statute, there's no obligation for them to be on a lead, unless they're one of the controlled breeds.

I've had this discussion probably as often as I've had the one with people insisting that I should be legally obliged to wear a helmet and highvis.

• Advertisement

I guess it's the definition of effective control? If a dog is jumping up at me or my children, I don't personally deem that as effective control, especially if it's not responding to the owner. But sure, "they only want to play...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

dog owner here, 2 dogs.

I absolutely detest other peoples negligance when it comes to keeping their dog on a tight leash. I let my little dog off the lead in parks, for the following reasons.

1. she wont attack anyone or anything, (at least for another few years) - i would expect older dogs are less likely to tolerate messing.
    2. Shes tiny, so if she did attack anything it would really struggly to do any damage of consequence.
    3. it offers the exercise that walking or running on the lead does not. i.e. i cannot run as fast as she can.
    4. if she gets attacked and killed by a dog on a lead, then I would accept full responsibility,

I do not let the big dog off as

1. Shes a big dog, and intimidating to others
    2. shes older and doesnt need the exercise (high intensity exercise)
    3. i couldnt guarantee that if a yappy or big dog approached her, that she would behave herself.

Now personal experiec.

I was cycling out a country road wit hteh missus, and a dog went for her on the bike, so i roared at it. its attention was then focussed on me, and ended up puncturing my leg in 3 places (3/4 canines) which, was much more painful than i expected. fast forward another month, as we were cycling back the same road, and the same dog came out. the owner was outside, and the dog came out. we stopped in our tracks and hte owner flagged us on "she wont do anything she said" which is when i told her the story, and showed her the puncture marks. "she never bit anyone" she said. I said, here is evidence that she did bite someone. "it never happened before", "i dont care, it happened now". "i usually keep her in on saturday/sunday mornings when the cyclists are out, because she chases them" 🤡🙊🤦‍♀️. her concluding remark was "well if she did bite you, then i am sorry" - this was more insulting than anything. She also asked why i didnt complain when it happened - i said " did you expect me to come into a property where theres an out of control dog that just bit me? are you mad?"

TLDR - cyclists are aholes, dog owners are aholes

Not big compared to whom? Not a toddler enjoying a park I'd guess. Again, imo "won't attack someone" isn't the same as "under effective control". It's not under effective control, but you just don't believe there will be consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

There is no law stating a dog needs to be kept on a lead in a public place unless it is one of the restricted breeds. A park warden can ask you to leash your dog but legally you can refuse and carry on if you want to be a bit of a dick about it.

There can be local authority by-laws requiring them to be on a lead.

Yes, I noticed no lead is specified. But I guess something like that really comes up when a dog misbehaves and attacks or causes some other sort of mayhem (cyclist crashing for example). It ends up with the gardai dog warden, courts etc.. getting involved and asking the question was the dog on a lead and therefore under your control.

Had dogs all my life. Only one ever enjoyed chasing kids on bikes. So we never let him out. Neighbors a few doors down has a dog that enjoys biting car tires and pooping in peoples gardens. Eye contact gets you a vicious snarl. Have no seen him in a while. Rumors going around someone doored him recently.

Ah, the residents of Malahide again. Ireland's wealthiest town. Probably the same self entitled bunch who objected to the removal of motor vehicles from one of their streets during the Covid lockdown in favour of pedestrians and cyclists.

Unfortunately, local representatives tend to kowtow to these people as they always vote and make their representatives work for them.

By-laws are secondary laws that are established by an organization, community that allows it to regulate itself. It is not the law in it's official form. You will never see a Garda for instance called to a local park or beach to arrest an owner for having their dog off lead unless the animal has attacked and harmed someone and any well versed dog owner knows it.

If your dog chases bicycles then you are a dick owner for letting them do it but there is little that can be done about it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,518 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rules are for other people, not me.

You can still be a sh1tty person and not get arrested for it.

Post edited by whisky_galore on

no, a garda cannot arrest you for having a dog off a leash in a park in Fingal, but a warden can ask you to leash your dog or leave, and if you refuse, i suspect that is then when a call to the gardai would be warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"Had dogs all my life. Only one ever enjoyed chasing kids on bikes. So we never let him out. "

You could have just taken away his bikes.

Of course and the Garda will ask the warden if the dog has attacked anyone or is a restricted breed, if not then he'll be telling the warden to let it go.

This depends on the byelaws. This from the Galway City Byelaws. If you read it from October to April dogs are permitted without a leash on the named beaches. The restrictions are in place foe the summer season.

Galway has no dog-park. It should have one.

A girl I worked with was very fearful of dogs as she said herself irrationaly so and her solution was a silent beeper thing. It worked.

6. As of August 1st 2008, dogs are not permitted on Galway City beaches or their waters between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm during the months of May, June, July, August and September. 

Before 9 am and after 8 pm during May to September, dogs are permitted on the beach provided they are on a leash and are not causing danger or nuisance. This bye-law relates solely to the Galway City beaches of Salthill, Grattan, Ballyloughane and Silverstrand and to their waters; the Promenade is not affected by its introduction.

Galway County has no such bye law regarding dog leads but only states that a dog must be under control. A fine of €100 can then be applied if a dog is out of contol.

Therefore in Galway County a dog can be in any public area without a lead.

Dogs if well trained will do what their owner asks unless attacked by another dog. That is under control.

Generally people use their cop on and will have a dog on a lead in any village or town although not obligated to. Although in my nearest village the local publicans dog was constantly bringing itself for a walk. It must have done 25km a day. Harmless but a big dog - husky type thing, dead now.

In rural areas sheep dogs if not kept inside the gate can be problematic for cyclists are they are motion sensitive. Thus they chase tyres on cars too.

Having a dog on your property in a rural area is a deterrant for robbery or people who want a gawk around your property. My uncle has a doberman for this specific reason as he has valuable machinery in the yard. Lovely dog but a visual deterrant for people. She is kept inside the gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

In fairness, that's the stuff memories are made of😁.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a wheaten terrier that's generally kept on the property of a house I pass regularly near the airport. Couple of times the owner has had gate open to so something though and he's been there. Makes me pick up the speed quite fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Never wallop a dog on the nose with the pump, you can kill it that way.

A lot of the time on cycle-walk paths it's that people simply don't understand how to train dogs. I have a chunk of skin off my wrist at the moment from a young dog that jumps up in a local park where I walk my own dog. Her owner apologises profusely every time, and warns people that her dog jumps, but what she doesn't do is immediately put the dog back on the lead and scold her and take her out of the park every time she does it.

Hopefully the dog will grow out of this soon; meanwhile I'm going to buy a plant mister and mist her in the face with water any time she jumps at me again, which is very unpleasant for dogs but doesn't harm them or hurt them. Of course I'll warn the owner beforehand that I'll do this…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

DSPCA have a very good training course; it's good not only because it trains dogs excellently but because it trains humans (if they're not too opinionated and oh-but-my-dog's-an-alpha-dog idiots) so that people know what to do if their dog is behaving like a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah, like the time the seagull took my kids '99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'd generally put dog owners in the same category as cyclists in that 95% are sensible and follow rules and respect other people.

But the other 5% don't and the wider populace of non cyclist/ dog owners use this as an excuse to tar the whole lot = which of course is completely unfair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement