Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,018 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's 2 different articles. It's the newer top one says prices are rising and the lower one a 2 year old prediction of falling prices.

Confused me at first too

Not sure how reliable a Daily Mail poll is compared to the big polling companies but there are quite a few of these floating around that seem to get ignored by people pushing the idea that labour are still moving the wrong way in polls.

Also I do love polls that can't trust us to do our own subtraction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's still down nearly £2,000/hectare from it's price immediately before the Brexit referendum. Coincidentally (or maybe not), this rise in prices is occurring in the immediate aftermath of a sustained period of historically low supply due to Covid restrictions - 2020 had the lowest number of acres put up for sale on record, and 2021 only had a small increase on that. When the pent-up demand is satisfied over the next 2 quarters or so, a much more accurate picture will be available. I can't say I'd be betting on the current upswing being sustained

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Don't know about Dyson (the vacuum cleaner guy?) but Clarkson appears to have bought his farm on a (very) expensive lark and has been doing a show about his misadventures as a farmer. The farmer that works with him, Caleb, regularly laments the plight of farmers in that to get a decent sized farm would cost millions. Worldwide I think the wealthy are rumored to be buying farmland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Dyson (the vacuum cleaner guy) is one of the largest (non-aristocratic) landowners in the UK. Clarkson has not a clue about most things - and farming is one of them. CAP provided a large income to large farmers because, despite its name, in the UK, had no cap on subsidies for large holdings. A farm could break even and the CAP payment was the profit. The loss of CAP payments will have a large impact on farmers. Many farmers in the UK are tenants - not owners.

The UK has not equalled the CAP payments despite pledging to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The aristocracy in Britain were one of the big beneficiaries of the CAP. Maybe that’s why the House of Lords was always leaning much more to remain than the House of Commons.

Many farmers in Britain are much less exposed in that they can just walk away from the farm as they don’t own it . Unlike here in this country. May explain why they were so careless about voting for brexit.

The number of hereditary lords is limited to about 90/800 ish, it's mostly packed full of loyal party members.

British farmers do have a lot to lose.

They still have to pay rent whether or not and if they walk away after losses they have nothing to show for it.

Generally speaking still less to lose than Irish farmers. From the British farmers I follow on you tube it can be startling to see the disparity in infrastructure investment between British and Irish farms. Probably due to a combination of climatic factors a more relaxed regulatory regime and lack of incentive to invest in a property that is not really yours and a likely long term rental increase for any improvements made.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Farmers accounted for over a third of buyers (39%), compared with the 55% who were either lifestyle purchasers or investors."

You have to remember sterling is down against the dollar. So land is cheap for long haul foreign investors.

As for short haul investors, venture capital has taken over Morrisons and ASDA this year between them a quarter of the UK grocery trade. Tesco who control another quarter of the trade are buying back shares but deny it's to protect against being taken over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But the total members of the House of Lords is not limited. The UK "constitution" pretty much allows a PM to create new lords on a whim and bypass the Appointments Commission. Wide open to ballot stuffing by appointing compliant lords.

Asquith threatened to create hundreds of Liberal peers to get the Parliament Act through the Lords in 1911 so assume it's in Boris' playbook if it's needed. Because Brexit has been a bait and switch using every trick in the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Trade deal with NZ announced today

Though I don't see how sending onions from here to the UK is viable or sustainable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From memory, NZ is only a tiny trading partner of the UK's : not even in the top 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,676 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The UK government's own estimate of the economic impact of the trade deal is negligible; its impact on UK GDP will be in the range of +0.01% to -0.01%. To all intents and purposes, this is zero impact. The NZ estimate is that the deal will boost their GDP by about 0.3%.

Of course, these cows are small, those cows are far away, and New Zealand is both small and far away, so a UK/NZ trade deal was never going to have much economic impact in the UK. What will be interesting about the NZ trade deal, when it is finalised, will be to what extent NZ has been able to cherry-pick the terms agreed for the UK/AUS trade deal. At the time the UK said that the AUS deal was not a precedent for the terms it would offer other countries, while NZ negotiators went into battle saying that it would be unacceptable for NZ to be offered less favourable terms than the terms the UK was willing to offer AUS. So we'll see how that panned out.

And the other interesting thing to look for will be the extent to which environmental commitments and targets are included in the deal.

We don't know either of these things yet - they will have to await the negotiation of the deal. The razzamatazz notwithstanding, all we have at the moment is (a) a press release about (b) an agreement in principle on the parameters of (c) a trade deal that is yet to be negotiated, never mind signed or implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

From what I remember NZ exported about 2 billion last year to the UK and the UK exported 1.5 billion to them. It’s important to remember that they were an EU trade partner rather than an individual country. Correct me if I’m wrong but the main UK export to them was cars and machinery. Now they won’t have the same capability to keep the costs as the vast majority of the components of said cars and machinery are EU dependent (both just in time courier and EU tariff).

fair play to both countries for agreeing a deal but in fairness it does look more beneficial for NZ exporters.

One thing I was thinking about after reading the news about the newly brokered NZ UK trade agreement is the potential impact on NZ trade with China and AUKUS. I’m open to correction but China is New Zealand’s biggest trade partner. So notwithstanding a trade agreement, is there potential conflicts of interest looming making simply unworkable?

https://thediplomat.com/2021/10/the-geopolitics-behind-the-new-zealand-uk-free-trade-agreement/

Unsurprisingly, UK farmers are reducing planting for 2022, as they need to plant now and anticipate the deficit in workers won't improve next year. So, expect higher prices for salad greens and daffodils.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-food-supply-shortage-farming-b1943328.html

We import most of our blueberries, tomatoes and literally everything as per this article from Germany and Netherlands. So expectations (as per your post) is no impact because of UK reductions in planting.

The Netherlands is incredible for the amount of fruit and veg they produce from a land that was deemed practically useless in a "to hell or to Connacht" sort of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lol @ daffodils

You don't live with a gardener that enjoys acquiring new varieties and planting them each year.

FWIW it seems to me the 'better' nurseries I visit in Ireland get a large portion of their daffodils from the UK (they're labeled so.) Now, whether that means they're exported after being grown there, or transhipped by a wholesaler who sources them from mainland Europe isn't clear. But I'm 100% confident the affect on daffodil prices due to Brexit will be visible next year, they didn't go up too much this year as far as herself has noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,901 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Apparently the UK is the world's biggest harvester of daffs for the commercial cut flower market. Experiencing a crisis in manpower at the moment.

'I harvest 70 million daffodils a year but £1 a bunch can't last' - BBC News

Netherlands is still more favourable than Connacht. Less rainfall more vigorous growing season better topography and soil.

Eye watering engineering to keep the sea out but it’s well worth their while to keep it out.

It strikes me that the UK struck a trade deal with NZ purely for propaganda purposes. This shouldn't even be a story or news and should only be on Page 10 in the British newspapers.

The only winners of this trade deal are New Zealand. It actually detrimentally effects an already decimated UK agriculture industry.

https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2021/10/22/UK-New-Zealand-trade-deal-threatens-British-producers

A savvy government might well have passed up on the trade deal. One estimate is that it might actually decrease British GDP than have any positive outcome.

The fact that a trade deal was brokered is testament in itself and must be applauded.

The fact that it’s a disaster for UK cannot be brushed aside.

The fact that New Zealand’s biggest trade partner is China which AUKUS makes them an adversary of the UK and makes this deal a calamity is the biggest problem.

It honestly looks like Johnson has no long term strategy. Everything is spur of the moment and done with the aim of boosting the govt's popularity. It seems a totally chaotic way of governing.

I’m no expert in trade agreements but from what I know you are correct. From reading pro Brexit media reports this trade agreement is being heralded as a major coup for the U.K. joining the trans pacific rim partnership.

But there is one major issue. China has applied to join it also. They are a much better partner than the US (who Trump withdrew from). From what I can see, as it stands UKs support of AUKUS means that they cannot benefit. Short sighted is an understatement. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/economy/global-economy/article/3149192/chinas-bid-join-pacific-rim-trade-pact-heaps-pressure-us

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Speaking of trade deals, check out @EmilyThornberry Twitter feed from today talking about Liz Truss lying regarding the Japan trade deal.

I still can't post links. I must be close to the promised land though. Any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

When will anyone raise the fact that Rees Mogg stated that no trade agreement would be required with New Zealand. Or the fact that U.K. will have to rely on New Zealand trading standards which goes against U.K. deciding their own trade standards. Or the fact that no benefits are for U.K. farmers.

have a look at the lies and bs at 11 minutes here https://youtu.be/DF3OQkWEyZA

She lied about the proposed Australia trade deal too. Announced on Twitter that it was "done", but now we find out it has completely stalled and nothing has been agreed.

It's been a quiet Brexit week but No.10 issued a statement tonight saying the ECJ must be removed from the Protocol : no softening of their stance at all it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has the EU issued a time limit for accepting their new proposals on the workings of the NIP? Sure it is "take it or leave it" time, if UK gov still insists on no role for ECJ then is there is really nothing left to talk about.

What happens if there is no new agreement on the workings of it?

Is it Article 16 or does the failure of the negotiation basically show that the NIP can never be implemented properly? Does this cascade down and make the WA and TCA fail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

There is no real "take it or leave it" insofar as the UK remains "within the lines" of the NI protocol process. It's just "keep on talking".

It would appear that the U.K. on the face of it believe that triggering Article 16 is a magic bullet that disapplies the entirety of the NIP. All it really does is commence further joint discussions to try and come to a solution. There is a procedure for each step I think set out in Annex 7.

This palaver about wanting sovereignty sounds good for the egocentric Rule Brittania Brexit supporter and the bite your nose off to spite your face DUP member it cannot work in practice. The ECJ is required for the Single Market to work. There are alternatives such as Swiss model( I think) but if the U.K. go with that it makes their sovereignty argument implode.

There is an alternative to completely rewrite massive bilateral agreement regarding dispute resolution but same issue.

The thing that makes this a little nuts is the fact that the ECJ rarely is called to arbitrate cases as most are settled in National Courts. I think there was only 24 cases last year.

The EUs offer of incredibly generous amendments was bit of a win for Frost and Boris and the EU while looking pragmatic was made to look brow beaten. It appears that this has toughened up their negotiation stance.

So either Frost and Boris give up this sovereignty court stance or say fcuck it. Their lack of knowledge on NIP, GFA could finally be the almighty fcuck up trade tarriff wise. It also damages international reputation for compliance with International agreements. I really hope this doesn’t happen because it would be the first step of the cessation of peace in our country.

Article 16 just results in more negotiations - but at the end of which the UK ought to implement "bare minimum" measures to address a specific & concrete problem.

In reality the UK is acting in bad faith (as demonstrated again by their repeated calls to remove the ECJ) - so in fact what the UK would do is simply ignore the protocol altogether.

The "cascade down" depends really on how far the UK wishes to take its reneging on matters. The EU is entitled to terminate the TCA if it wants without reason - which it would at some point.

Strictly speaking the WA cannot "fail" - the UK would be in breach of its international obligations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When the EU offered very generous terms on NI it was basically calling the UK bluff and exposing their attempt to feign concern over the well bring of NI under the NIP

The EU could have held firm but it would have just stretched out the process and no matter how many or few concessions the EU made on NIP the ECJ was always the real prize for the UK

By the EU skipping the petty negotiations and just offering a very generous upgrade to the NIP the EU have demonstrated that the English do not give a sh1t about the NIP and have always been acting in bad faith. The people of Northern Ireland did not fail to notice this. Even some unionists are getting tired of bring used as pawns by Westminster and will appreciate that the EU are the side that actually want NI to succeed while Westminster are trying to sabotage them do they can use them as propaganda

Yes it is both a "hearts and minds" thing for the people of Northern Ireland - and keeps all member states on side and unified - no EU member state will have sympathy for UK if/when they renege.

• Advertisement

I swear to God I think that the whole Brexit approach will be unveiled shortly as the biggest practical joke that ever has been. No satire comedy show could even begin to create what is pedalled out on a daily basis.

But i think they have finally jumped the shark with their most recent policy to assist in HGV transportation. To make up for all the horrible immigrant HGV drivers that have ruined the fabric of real Britain they will replace with incarcerated prisoners.

Here is one guy out on day release from prison at the request of the U.K. government to drive a truck for HMQ. And what crime is he currently serving a considerable for? yes, drug trafficking with a lorry.

https://youtu.be/6n2bl95ptj8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And if you turn the sound up full to try and hear the very poor sound, be ready for your man laughing at the end.

There is an original recording which was better but can’t seem to find it again. When I saw the original news item I thought it was a brass eye episode. I didn’t want to post something that possibly was a comedy creator editing cleverly.

But this is fcucking for real! https://youtu.be/r8eT7-UWsj8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Time for the UK to start taking prisoners from other countries, maybe Australia would return the favour for starters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am not sure whether Brexit has gone from farce to parody or from parody to farce.

Raab, who finds reading documents difficult, would rather have convicted criminals driving HGV vehicles than Eastern European qualified HGV drivers.

When are the British public going to wake up from this nightmare and kick these bums out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Their 'captive pool of potential workers'

They've lost their minds

Being a HGV driver is a highly regulated profession for very good reasons

What next, reduce queues in the NHS by restoring doctors who gave been struck off for malpractice?

The UK could be the first country to introduce the flipping Purge at this rate

I actually do support policies to help offenders transition back into society but this is the Johnson Tories they're not going to do this safely or carefully, they're using the 'captive audience's to paper over the gaping cracks of their own incompetence

They might go for 'improving' the NHS by allowing the anti-vaxers and 'alternative medicine practitioners' free access to the NHS - shorten the queues by shortening the lives of those in the queues.

The funny thing is that Leave voters / Tories usually regard criminals and prisoners as the lowest of lows and have a zero tolerance approach - read any Daily Mail article and the comments underneath about criminals and sentencing etc. They'd nearly be in favour of public floggings (or worse).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Brexit has forced many cultural conventions in this country to be turned onto their heads, perfectly exemplified by Johnson's "f*ck business" comment. Time was, that'd be a career-killing thing for a Tory to say.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

An extremely underappreciated comment. And a testament to the amplification of Empire 2.0 .

I wonder can Australia insert this item into the trade deal. Similar to the NZ one where the UK will most likely get negative Growth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement