Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Don't know who it was but it definitely wasn't Glen (the ginger lad)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Seven down with one to go, I hope there will be a 2nd season.

Bren mentioned protecting his parole chances, so he could be out for season 2

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 48 xanike7

I will never understand why the writer decided to make Frank gay. It doesn't add to the plot at all, or even his storyline. Now making him gay would've been fine if it wasn't the only thing they showed from him. All they show from him is that he hooks up with younger guys. They don't show any type of struggle within his family or the business or even with himself, what was the point? It just seems like the writer needed something to make him more "interesting," which feels.... homophobic.

ep:7

Really liked bren's introduction, I think he echoed what everyone's been saying about Frank. Someone who's playing at being a gangster and looks like a "hairdresser." Also think that's why gillen was a good casting looking at it now, someone who doesn't look like they've thrown a punch in their life, thus making him someone that no one fears. It will be interesting to see how the family will look once he gets out. I assume for s2, that he'll return as the leader of the family at some point.

Also really am not a fan of Amanda and Mikey together, just feels meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Frank's brother seems so sound and level headed, lol. Hopefully he gets out of jail and gives them all a good kick up the hole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Introducing a gay character makes the writer appear homophobic? Eh, no it doesnt.

The family has been presented as very male centric already, with the wives and girlfriends, having little to no involvement in either the drug dealing or decision making. Even Birdie, whom they all go to for advice, seems to be kept at arms length in terms of the sharp end of the family business.

The point is, having one of the male characters written as an out gay man, existing in that male dominated world, is a brave choice especially as he is not closeted (and his lifestyle attracts a fair amount of contempt from the other criminals) but also because he's a father which suggests he did live a heterosexual lifestyle at some point (something relatable to closeted guys)

• Advertisement

Im not saying its homophobic, just almost seems like it lol. The way that Frank is written, he's like the epitome of making your sexuality your whole personality. I dunno I think its just not a good look, just seems like the writer needed to make him "interesting" in some way or another. My point being that him being gay should tie into the storyline because that's a big chunk of what they show from Frank. Everyone has had their own little side stories that adds something to the plot. For frank its just him being horny.

For example, Mikey, his storyline includes him trying to get closer to his daughter but he can't because of he's apart of a gang family. Him being epileptic adds to the story as he the guy that usually does the shootings but he probably won't be able to so anymore because of his disease. It adds something to the plot, I dunno maybe your right, maybe they'll explore on this more in the future.

It is brave, but I just don't think they're portraying him in the right light, perhaps not homophobic but still just a misrepresentation. I have never seen this before where a leader is gay so maybe it'll develop in the future. But I think this just reflects negative stereotypes of a gay or potentially bi man, I mean all they do is show him creeping on younger guys all the time and risking his life for hook ups. I doubt they would do this if was heterosexual, I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think Frank is too busy sucking **** to run the family business! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm sorry but the girl playing Anna is a terrible actress. Genuinely some of the worst acting I can remember seeing in a high profile show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Aidan Gillen's portrayal of a useless boss seems to have fooled some people 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭redn90

7 episodes in: "you can always not watch it 😜"

Never understood this, you criticize the show's writing, and you're told not to watch it. Isn't the point of the discussion board to discuss ones opinions?🤷

Doesn't really matter, happens when anyone criticizes the show really. OP had some vaild points to say that frank's character is a misrepresentation of a gay man or whatever he may be, wouldn't go as far to say that it's homophobic though. I understand where you coming from as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Is it considered homophobic because the gays are shown to be addled and doing illogical things due to their search for a length ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Social worker swearing was ridiculous the prison scene was rough I'll admit I chuckled at the hairdresser remark. Definitely gonna be an interesting last episode next week.

I mean I don't know really. I think that original comments may have been pointing to that though. I believe they were trying to say that the writer made frank gay just for the sake of making him or his storyline more compelling. Therefore making it seem that those who are gay are more "interesting" just because they're gay? Also what you mentioned as well, they really only show frank on grindr looking for a shag, I mean that's a big part of his storyline that I believe the OP was frustrated with because it is a "negative stereotype."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think it'd be a far better series with Bren as the leader of the family, he was more interesting in that 3 minute scene than Gillen has been across the 7 episodes.

Overall I've enjoyed the show so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I think some people are forgetting that some of us are an episode behind as we don't see it on AMC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Just rewatching last weeks episode on RTE because I missed the opening scenes....

How did Jimmy not know what was up when Amanda called him out to Dotzer,especially given she'd asked earlier about him being a rat..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Decent episode this week, Eammon seems to be back to himself, we also saw the mental side of Frank (who could possibly get jail time for attacking an innocent person ?). Bren seems a right prick.

So someone is going to be shot next week and its anyone's guess which side it could be on. Have feeling a good portion of season 2 might be set in jail with Eric becoming a big wig inside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Are all these orange juice references a tip of the hat to the godfather ? The way oranges in that movie symbolises death… must be…. orange juice seems so awkwardly showing up into episodes…maybe it’s because death links Michael and his daughter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7: F**kin hell! That cranked things up at the end there. Next one is the season finale! 😲

Francis Magee putting in a performance there! Laying out the family from prison! Michael and Jimmys Dad. Did we get his name? From the way Jimmy asked Michael and then how he was acting.. it sounds like he might have been beating them when younger or something.

Amanda making the call on Eamons head made sense after how things went down with Birdy. Don't think there's any question about Birdy being in with Eamon anymore. Not after that.

It's all or nothing in the finale I'm guessing unless there's another traitor they haven't shown us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Social worker had me all "Yeah f**k him up Social Work" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Enjoyed that episode. Really sets it up for next week were I presume there will be some formof finale and big event.

The da cracked me up. Told it straight to all of them and wasn't messing about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Dumb question perhaps; and a reason I'm pretty much avoiding this thread til after each episode airs on RTE cos I don't want "Spoilers" by reading comments, but when on ATC does Kin air?

Like is it the Wednesday night before the Sunday over here?

Thanks.

Also for those like me here's the not so ruthless hitman (I think) speaking to RTE ahead of the penultimate episode on RTE later https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/1023/1255512-kin-star-says-biggest-shocks-are-yet-to-come/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The diversity box ticking is a bit of a joke at this stage

Just waiting for the judge who sends " viking " down to be black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,961 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Absolute farce and the Solicitor about as believable as Ian Paisley being Catholic. I didn't want to believe it could get any slower, I've been kidding myself

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement