Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHOs first official announcement

Options
  • 19-10-2021 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

According to the WHO's Outbreak Communication Guidelines 2005 the parameters of trust are established in the outbreak's first official announcement. This message's timing, candour and comprehensiveness may make it the most important of all outbreak communications.

When I look back at this, all I see is Dr Mike Ryan being solely responsible for promting Dr Tedros to immediately downgrade his first statement to the world that Corona is airborne to Corona is spread by droplets.

There are some hugely varying interpretations of what was said and written in these few seconds.

For me, Dr Ryan writes "NOT air, only droplet"

Followed by a brief spoken dialogue in which the following may have been said whilst underlining his message.

RYAN: Air never.

TEDROS: Buddie your right.

I don't think I've cracked it perfectly and hopefully some of you will express what you think you've seen, which may be more accurate.

Here is a zoom in on what Dr Ryan wrote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What is your issue with this and do you have any research to prove otherwise? What is the epidemiological meaning of "airborne"?

Has it not been clear from the start that it is spread via droplets? Those droplets can indeed be carried along in the air for a time, but they will then fall onto some surface. So if someone sneezes in a room, they can expel droplets containing the virus. Which may indeed linger in the air for a while, or they may fall onto some other surface where you can pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Has it not been clear from the start that it is spread via droplets? @Donald Trump

🤣 No, don't see your reasoning for replacing the WHO's use of the word "candour" with "clear". Candour means a lot more than clear.

Clear from the start woud not involve Tedros saying "this virus is airborne" and would not include him backtracking 5 minutes later after a Ryan earwigging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

What a monumental **** up by the WHO. I'm sure, like most, they suspected it was airborne back then, evident by tedros's freudian slip, but just couldnt face the implication of admitting it.

Many lives were probably lost unnecessarily because of their stance. I hope we see an inquiry into this sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBF it hadn't been clearly established at that point so everyone and their dog went off to make a YouTube video to show that they were wrong. It’s really just an example of opinions changing once the data changes. I very much doubt you can prove that claim about deaths. Some very very sick people succumbed at the beginning of this, a pattern still repeated.

Advertisement