Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure what that means about it being Mike's fault.....whatever age he was, in 2002 vs Lewis he was clearly shot to bits.....

Why are you asking me what year was prime Mike?

You know the year(s) I gave, and what most educated boxing fans would give

What year(s) would you say were when Tyson was at his best, or really close to it?

All boxers have prime ages/years etc.....Tyson is no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You can't seriously think Spinks was a serious heavy weight ?

he weight a career high of 212lbs v Tyson & that was him bulked up ,

Didn't he fight in the Olympics as a middle weight ?

Wasn't there rumour he as afraid to leave the dressing room to fight Mike, He only moved to heavy weight because he fancied his chance at beating Holmes which did just about, .,

I always knew Tyson would KO Spinks. Most picked him to. Where did I say that I thought he was a serious heavyweight?

Fact is that he was the lineal champion, as he beat Holmes twice. So let's not pretend he was a nobody.

My Spinks point was clear, if you read it. Holmes lost to Spinks twice, and you won't hear too much criticism, yet Tyson pulverizes Spinks in 90 seconds and it gets dismissed as Spinks being too small. Despite being 6-7 lbs lighter than Mike...

I am not arguing Spinks as a great HW. I am simply pointing out the bias/logic that people use to harshly assess and criticize Tyson's opposition

Says more about that version of Holmes than Spinks

Spinks weighed 200 lbs for that fight just 14 stone for contrast Usyk was just under 16 tone for the AJ fight 7 seen as small ,

Hey may have been 7lb lighter but he was completely blow up & never carried near that weigh in a ring before,

For that to be your best win says it all ,

What year is prime Mike

Again, where did I say it was Tyson's best win?

And, why are you asking me for Mike's prime, again?!

I already said what I believe to be his prime...it is the years 1986-1988/1989....any one these calendar years I think he was at his best.

Having to pick one year where Tsyon looked to me to at his fighting best? 1988.....1987 a close second.

You have not said what you believe to be his prime year(s) where he was at his fighting best...

Post edited by walshb on

Wilder just needs to touch Tyson now with his right hand and it’s lights out? This is absurd..

does Mike also need to just touch Wilder with the right hand, right hook, left hook, right uppercut and it’s lights out?

two things: Tyson has a rock solid chin for single absorption. And he had quite a good defense. Wilder hasn’t even got an uppercut to use against the shorter Tyson

Wilder has nothing to compete with Tyson.

Ok, meet you half way. Let’s assume e Wilder can’t KO Mike, you still think he wins?

because apart from his very very slim KO chance, he’s getting ktfo, and if miraculously he survives, it’s a clear shutout points win..

their skillsets are so far apart. Tyson had a far greater skillset. Quite surprised you can’t see this; and leads me to believe that it’s more you are so eager to not praise/rate Tyson than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So then you'd have Fury and Marciano as a draw?

Honest question, who has Fury fought outside of Wilder? Wlad a coupe of days short of his 40th birthday?

Also it's very fair to judge pre Buster Douglas Tyson with Fury. Mike had more fights at that time than Fury has in his career to date.

• Advertisement

Fury has about 31/32 fights, and is likely 4/6 fights shy of retiring..possibly less. Who knows.

Tyson was 37-0 by 1990…33 KOs..

and Fury’s his best wins are an old Wlad and Deontay Wilder..Tyson was 10-0 with 8 KOs (championship) just before his 38th fight

same for AJ here. Has not done as much as Mike Tyson, albeit he still has more championship wins than Fury, and clearly more.

and it’s Mike Tyson who is getting lambasted..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Another boxing thread ruined by talking about Mike Tyson mystical match ups.

Lads, you all follow boxing. When you hear or read the words prime, peak and Tyson in one sentence do you not think it would be better to just leave it?

It's been going on years everywhere on the internet.

He looked unbeatable for a few years, he went off the rails and it was a slow end after that.

Can we leave it at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

It's a chat forum, everyone is entitled to chat about what they like once it's relevant to the thread. Everyone is entitled to give their opinion as well and we know yours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Thats my point its all absurd and a pointless exercise

• Advertisement

Ahh now come on

Number of fights doesnt do justice here

15 in Tyson fought Mark Young whos lost like 40 fights, Fury fought Chisora

Young had lost 6 fights by the time. He fought Mike and went on to lose his next 6 hardly stellar competition

In his next fight (16) he fought Jaco, The fight was somewhere in the middle of a 2wins & 16 losses streak for Jaco

I know Mike was young but the first 16 where bowling pins waiting to be knocked over

Guys like John McDermott who Fury fought in his 8th fight would have beat all of Mike ealry opponents

How many turkeys has Fury fought? I'm asking rather than showing you up.

Just on this. You post once in a blue moon here on the forum. But you are obviously reading the threads, and clearly reading this one.

If you barely ever contribute to threads, why are posters who are contributing and discussing with decent back and forth, analysis, stats and opinions ruining anything? And most of all, how are we ruining threads for you, who doesn’t contribute anyway?

Point is they both fought a percentage of journeymen. Tyson annihilates all Fury’s journeymen, and Fury beats Tyson’s. You’re far too critically harsh and biased here.

plus it wasn’t just the number fights. 10-0 with 8 KOs included in that 37-0 record. Fury is 3-0-1 in championship fights to date from his 32 fights. Not near Tyson’s numbers from his 37-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Walshb recovers from his knock down, to put his opponent down, ding ding.

Never mind prime Mike Tyson v Whoever, Walshb v Littlehorny is the prize fight 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wilder is one more big win that Mike Tyson ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I didn't name anyone on my post. I expressed my opinion that Mike Tyson has been discussed numerous times on the boxing thread and the debate just goes round and round. In fact I had a debate with you on him a couple of years ago.

I feel and maybe others do that all points both pro and con Tyson have been to death at this stage.

We all rate some fighters more than others anyway and at 49 I remember Tyson winning his first world titles and loved him so it's not a Tyson bashing post.

If you want me to contribute I will, imo Mike Tyson beats Joshua, Wilder and Fury.

Apart from a power punch, what has Wilder got? He’s so basic..Tyson beat plenty lads with far better skill sets.

Oh without question he has some ,

My point is you can't say Mikes great he was 37-0 by 1990 without looking at the fights,

The first 15 & more where there to just fall over, As i said John McDermott who Fury fought in his 8th fight would have beat all of Mikes opponents & McDermott was far from settler himself,

Its like Wilder now the first 20 & more guys he fought where bin men, American's seem to get away wit padding there records way more then English fighters, they continue to fight can's for far longer than the British public like to see fighters do it,

I didn't watch Wilder as amateur but how did he get a bronze at the Olympics was it all ko's to get on the team and to get that medal ?

He had a better amateur career than Mike

Wilder 43 -2 & one draw

Mike 24-3

Do you reckon anyone that Mike beat would have beat Ortiz ?

Wilder has more title defence's than Mike he also has a higher knock out percentage , he also beat Ortiz twice & drew with Fury

A couple more big wins & he would be clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

An Olympic bronze medal.

I don't particularly like the guy, and he's not as good as many try to make out but he's not a complete turkey

He's better than AJ imo

Frankly I think he's missing a few cogs up stairs in the main flywheel

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Butson

I don't get this comparing era's stuff.

Bit pointless.

yourdeadwright

Tyson is 12-4 championship bouts

Wilder is 10-1-2 in championship bouts.

Tyson has more bouts and wins. Both defended titles 11 times..

• Advertisement

I meant in a row,

Was the belt vacant the second time Tyson won it & had one defence against Seldon is that correct ?

I'd say 10 because they both lost on there 11th defence ,]

Bruno had WBC belt when Tyson took it from him.

defended it v Seldon and grabbed Seldon’s WBA belt

Correct i was getting the two Bruno fight all mixed up ,

So was it Bruno beat McCall for the title then lost to Tyson for the second & retired, ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Not shocked by this and would be shocked if it gets rearranged. Wallin probably would have won and took away Whyte's chance of a title fight with Fury.

I'm sorry, I said that Tyson's career before Buster Douglas is fair to compare to Fury's career as he had more fights. Outside of Wilder and Wlad a few days short of his 40th birthday Fury has fought nobody of note.

Tyson fought far more fighters of note in his career up to that point.

It amazes me how Spinks is just dismissed despite being an Olympic Champion and an unbeaten, undisputed heavyweight Champion until he met Mike Tyson. Tyson fought Biggs, Pinklon Thomas, Tucker, Berbick, Holmes, Tubbs and Spinks in a pretty short timeframe. They were all better than anything outsdie of the current top three in the heavyweight division today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So Parker vs Chisora the next "big" HW fight?

WAR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

FFS that’s put me in a mood. I was looking forward to getting a look at that fight. This fights all comers is some nonsense. Oul bollox

• Advertisement

Anyhow, the Tyson debate is one that’s gonna stick around, folks. If you don’t like reading it you have the option to not. The alternative is that the thread goes quiet because there’s gonna be a lull in HW action for a little while. It becomes more relevant as the current crop face each other. Your mind changes or is reaffirmed by a fighter. If Fury beats say aj then there’s a stronger argument for him, if he loses then anyone thinking Tyson would win will use that as the evidence has changed. Hardly that surprising. I’d like to watch a prime Povetkin fight Tyson. Some action in there but Tyson kos him for me!

Because Spinks was a LHW , He was middle weight champion at the Olympics ,

Yes he won the heavy weight title but it was because he seen the right opportunity in Holmes , he was afraid to leave the dressing rom against Mike ,

Holmes was retired grand da when he got the call to fight Mike.

Remember the story of Don King knocking on his front door when he was two year retired one night looking for him to fight, Holmes said who do you want me to fight King said Mike Tyson below is Holmes own words ,

Holmes replied i can't beat mike Tyson Don said, 'What if I give you 3 ½ million dollars?,' and I said, 'Where's Mike at?' I'm just glad he didn't kill me. He knocked me down a few times, but I didn't feel it because the first time he hit me I was numb. 

A fight I was only thinking of the the other day, and although I'd go with Tyson via KO, I think AP is a style and size and makeup that could make this very competitive.

He's hard, tough, physiologically strong and suited to being good against Tyson. Tyson might not do the job with one shot, but I think his speed/power and overall better defense see him connecting a bit too much, and we see a Richard Steele like stoppage ala Razor Ruddock fight 1.

Watched Bowe-Holyfield last night: Wow. words cannot accurately describe its brilliance. Relating to HWs today, I am thinking that a Wilder-Bowe fight could be serious fun, and I'd give Wilder a fair chance of nailing Bowe for the KO. Bowe is perfectly in Wilder' eye line. The perfect height for Wilder to detonate very cleanly, and Bowe could be hit. It's why I think a 90s Foreman may well have walked through Bowe for the KO, assuming Bowe doesn't KO Foreman, and I don't think he does....after Lewis-Bowe, Foreman-Bowe is right up there as a fight I'd die for!

I will say that if Wilder cannot KO Bowe, then Bowe eats him up....such a skilled big man, and could punch.

Yet you will hear some mention how Holmes was doing so well.....and then when Mike whacked him, he suddenly became this shot to bits has-been. He got whacked clean and hard, and it was not that much to do with his age/inactivity.

Fact of the matter is that any version Holmes does not beat Tyson. He hadn't the chin/recovery skills of an Ali to survive 12. Yes, he took a good shot, but he was on queer street several times from fighters not near as brutal as Tyson for finishing.

Otiz is not great. Not near it. Has beaten nobody. Old man when Wilder fought him

I'd back all Tyson's championship fighters to beat Luiz Ortiz. And Tyson himself would have taken him out in a few rds tops.

He is just not that good...

Dillian Wyyte, maybe a notch higher level......

Post edited by walshb on

Meant to respond here. I was not implying that he was a turkey. But he does not have a good skillset from what I see. That's all.

Big, awkward and has a right hand power punch...

Out of 10 for skillset I'd be going 4/5 here, compared to a 9 for say Bowe/Holyfield/Lewis/Tyson.

• Advertisement

Yea I had intended posting about it a couple of times. I think it would be a brilliant contest. AP was some force in his pomp whatever about the juice. Wlad got away with a lot of stuff in that fight.

I think Tyson may have to get up from a kd but ultimately around round 8 or 9 I think he’d have wore AP down and slowed him enough to get him out with two kds and rst finish. Haha I’m reading as I’m replying and it’s like listening to myself. I do think it’s a 70-30 match up.

Ach yea Bowe-Holyfield was unreal but I did think there wasn’t much defense. I’ll get a rewatch at it and post with a bit more accuracy, my memory could be hazy on it. I do think Bowe allowed himself to be hit and anyone who does that is in trouble with Wilder. He was a bit lazy at times too and I felt could have been trimmer at times. Dunno about Foreman but that’s why I think Lewis beats him. I often say I think the earlier the more likely for Bowe to win and then later it’s all Lewis but I think Lewis really fancied that one and Bowe didn’t. Could Bowe take Lewis’ right cross? Battle of the jabs wouldve been fantastic. Foreman himself allowed himself to be hit. I could see Bowe stopping him late with cleaner work all night. He’d wanna be mobile for it though.

All in all with Bowe Wilder I think Bowe. Don’t think Wilder could stand up to him and he’d jab the head off him. Fury Bowe? I think Fury but only just. I think he wins that on points but it would be an enormous test of his fitness. Much more of a test than Wilder gave him and in all three fights he was blowing hard and Wilder wasn’t good enough to sense that and get after him. Bowe gets him in trouble and it’s another story.

Stories that AJ looking for new trainer(s) for Usyk rematch.

If he has any sense at all that’s what he needs. There were problems with himself during that and other fights but the corner did little for him. He doesn’t really listen to what they do tell him either and there’s no sense of him feeling like only for them in any fight. Far too passive. Anyone linked with him?

Holmes was the same age fighting Tyson as Wlad was fighting Fury.

And just because somebody was a light heavyweight doesn't mean they aren't good enough for heavyweight. Like he knocked out his other two opponents at heavyweight.

Also we have a cruiserweight world champion now holding a bunch of heavyweight belts and might be a champion for a few years. We'll see over the next few fights just how good he is.

He really should go to Abel Sanchez. Look what he did with Joe Joyce. If AJ still has it he'll put him back in top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement