Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ridley Scott, Matt Damon, Adam Driver - yeah I'm in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Distinct lack of Super Valu shopping bags in that trailer; 2/10

It is phenomenal Scott is still knocking out movies at 83. Debatable when his last great movie might be, but fair play to the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ridley Scott's very first feature film was 'The Duellists'. I reckon this could be his last film, considering his age and it would be a fitting end. I am looking forward to this; great cast, great setting, and overall, a wonderful director.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, that would be rather awesome all right; bookend his career then retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Scott has been a little hit or miss the last year's but I'm still excited to hear of a new film from him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

He has another film in post-production due out a few months after this and several more in development. No sign of retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Obviously hoping for Adam in this one.

This doesn't really surprise me: Scott comes across the type of man who'd die if he stopped & retired; his energy to reshoot all the Kevin Spacey scenes during All The Money of the World showed that while his quality might have dimmed, his enthusiasm remains. Heck, I daresay he might pass away during a shoot; would be a trivia & pub quiz question there... who was the last?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And worth noting that this is the first script Damon and Affleck have worked on together since Good Will Hunting (along with Nicole Holofcener).

Post edited by Mr Crispy on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The only Ridley Scott film I don't care for is The Counselor.

He has an ability to create worlds that suck you in. His films are visually amazing, particularly the photography and set design. It's great to have another period film from him to look forward to. 1492, Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator and even Robin Hood are some of my favourite films to have seen on a huge cinema screen.

He also seems to be a very empathetic person and his films reflect this (The Counselor aside, that film was nasty).

• Advertisement

"Trash" is a little harsh: there's no doubt Scott hasn't directed a properly Great With a Capital G movie in many years now; looking at his CV I'd wager... 2005's Kingdom of Heaven might be the last (if we include the fabled Director's Cut), before that it's Gladiator I guess. I ignore The Martian, only because the book was itself a blockbuster - it only needed someone competent to point, shoot and not mess with the script too much.

Purely from a visual and cinematic point of view, Scott's films are rarely boring or bland to look at; and while there's more to cinema than just pretty pictures it's also rare enough these days we have mainstream entertainment that shows expertise with the canvas (not to have a pop at the likes of F&F or the MCU ... but I'm absolutely pulling a Scorcese here lol). The two Alien movies were definite, unquestionable fúck ups though, even if I'll go to bat for Prometheus for at least trying ... something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks a bit grim, doesnt seem to be the best timing? might do ok streaming just not something for the cinema

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Director's cut of KOH 2005 is probably his last great film.

Like others I didn't enjoy his return to the Alien world very much. Nonetheless he's had a number of very competent and enjoyable films since the mid 2000s: A Good Year, Body of Lies, American Gangster.

And The Martian, while not anything amazing was perfectly fine.

That's literally the first kind thing I've heard someone say of A Good Year. Had seemed like the consensus deemed it Scott's worst! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's an enjoyable, light, date night type movie, especially with a glass of wine in hand :)

I hadn't even realised it was directed by Ridley Scott until now. I don't know if it's his worst film but perhaps his slightest.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It's not typical of him at all. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it.

It's perfectly entertaining romance with some light humour. And Crowe and Cotillard are always watchable

Scott's generally better when writing duties are apportioned to others. So I still hold out hope this could be good.

I would say a passion for wine would change the effect of that film dramatically. The fantasy of it alone for a wine lover is enough to make it enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 84,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They had zero chemistry but it is watchable for the location

Affleck also co stars in this but Damon is lead, I am intrigued by the premise and setting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Advertisement

Well, directors can/will change a script as they go. But even then, has he not developed ideas and stories for some of his work? I thought Prometheus and Covenant were his stories for example, whereas Alien was mostly O'Bannon.

Some conceptual stuff, sure (though never enough to receive a story credit) and yes he's definitely caused scripts to be changed, but I don't think he can said to have written or re-written scripts. I have also heard of him being associated with script changes to films considered amongst his best too. I recall Scott being blamed for some of the changes to the scripts for Alien and Blade Runner. Then of course there's Gladiator in which he was part of the committee that wrote the script as it was being shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How much of this was filmed in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's a fantastic movie, one of my all time favourites from any director.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A good spoiler free review, he does mention how the film is broadly constructed , very positive

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this last night and its a rolls Royce of a movie, its so well made. The acting is superb especially from Ben Affleck, he was magnetic. I reckon there could be a best supporting oscar nod for him in the post. Its 2.5 hours long but never outstays its welcome. There are a couple of scenes that are hard to watch. A girl sitting in front of me stood up and ran out of the theatre during a particular scene near the end, she came back a few minutes later though. All in all it is a quality film and I hope it gets some traction at the box office after a disappointing opening weekend in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Very disappointing to see this sinking like a stone at the box office, as it's really quite a good movie.

Okay, sometimes, it's a bit on the nose, but it hits a hell of a lot more than it misses. I went because I wanted to see the lavishness on the screen, but it's really a character piece and everyone is doing really good work here.

Advertisement