Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne and Farage

• 19-10-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

Pretty disappointing stuff. Of course Farage is a chancer, but Byrne's approach was to sneer at him and play that Up the RA clip.

It'd be quite welcome if she exposed him with questions, but sneering and quite literally saying to him that he hasn't got a clue, is not journalism and is not improving anyone's understanding.

Even bringing on an English nationalist to talk about Ireland's relationship and the EU is a bit stupid, given that there is no popular support for leaving here. RTE's current affairs coverage is going backwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Agree completely. She loves a gimmick on her show. There was absolutely nothing to be gained from bringing him on other than to show him that clip and laugh at him. She knew she'd get kudos from Twitter for sneering at him and that's all that mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Unbearable person.

And Farage isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That was really poor last night. Very disappointing from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

too easy Claire :) cheap stunt but still funny seeing him squirm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Wasnt the best from RTE or from Claire Byrne. Plenty of better ways to conduct an interview than take something completely out of context and ham it in there.

• Advertisement

Telling your guests they haven't got a clue plays well on Twitter, where there is little room for reasoned comment, but RTE should be trying to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was pretty obvious Farage didn't have a clue, considering he was comparing membership of the EU to 500+ years of British rule over Ireland.

If anything she was pretty kind to him by just pointing out he's a knob rather than outright calling him one.

His up the RA comment wasn't taken out of context though... I don't actually think he should have been invited on cause he is very much so clueless about the nation. But he very much so showed what type of person he is in terms of that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Field east

Farage could have been torn a

country have been torn apart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i know the site is hard to navigate and all that, but at least the typing and text display wasn't affected....... until now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She's a low brow tabloid hack posing as a serious journalist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭archfi

She got what she wanted.

A viral clip rewteeted by her radio boyfriend James O'Brien who creams himself saying - 'She's so good at this'

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

If I recall, she's had other run-ins with him in the past and he's spouted the same nonsense then too and she's pulled him on it then also.

So the pattern goes, he comes on, spouts nonsense, she holds him to account, he gets embarrassed/flustered

Pity the UK outlets didn't do the same in the lead up to Brexit, the world might be a different place if they had

You totally missed the point.

Ireland fought a war of independence to leave one Union, but joined another Union.

There is a very very Very obvious reason as to why Sinn Fein has advocated a 'No' vote in very EU/EEC referendum since the 1970's.

You mean the Birthday greeting ....

I am sure one can read into the Birthday greeting his entire history and knowledge of Anglo - Irish relations...... FFS!

He did a birthday greeting which included him proclaiming "up the RA".... What context am I missing that makes that suddenly okay? He hasn't demonstrated any particular knowledge of Irish history or culture tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

How was the "up the Ra" clip taken out of context? The point she was making was he didn't have a bull's notion of Irish history and the events surrounding it*.

Farage went on to release a statement that he had fallen victim to a prank, a prank that saw him shout "up the Ra" (for a fee) as part of a birthday greeting.

*There's the proof he didn't have a bull's notion.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hahahaha people actually having a go at Claire Byrne here.

She's absolutely right. He hasn't got a clue about Ireland yet he gets a massive platform in the UK to chat sh*te about Ireland on a regular basis.

The 'up the RA' clip taken out of context? How? It was a prank and he went and said it with no idea whatsoever of what he was saying. How can he talk about Ireland and not have any idea what 'up the RA' means?

'Out of context' my hole. He was caught out as the clueless fool that he is.

The excuses people will make to defend this chancer are mind-boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Surprised at the Farage fan club on here. He is an odious Prick and should be treated as such at every opportunity. Fair play Claire

Don't think it's a Farage fan club but more the issue of a woman getting above her station, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i doubt there's a fanclub but it's pretty low brow to ring up a feckin eegit just to show him a stupid video and then let him grandstand to the irish feckin eegits that love him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

I think she did well, I've seen a bunch of UK media and bloggers picking this up and saying how they wish their own media would hold him to account in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not at all surprised to see the tone of the thread is focused on feeling sorry for the Agitator in Chief Mr Farage.

The Up the RA clip was cheap, but a perfect illustration of the BS that man pontificates about and how it is largely disconnected from reality.

I do think Claire should have done better and when he started with the rhetoric about being governed by Europe after fighting the English for 500 years (it was actually 800 Nigel) she should have told him that every 5 years we have elections, using PR voting practices, to send people to be part of the governing process in Europe and that that is A- more reflective of true democracy than the FPTP method they use in the UK and B - that is very different to having a colonial occupier subjugating the country.

I'm not surprised at the Farage support on here, many on Boards are comfortable with the idea of someone fighting for the traditional form of society they wish still existed. You can see it in their support of Farage, Trump, and against anything with even a whiff of progressiveness about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

She should have kept at him though. He said how dare you and she backed off.

She put it to him that he knew nothing of Irish history if he could be caught out with the RA comment.

So she is correct or else he said it in full knowledge of what he was saying. I don't see how you escape from that but she let him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Just watched the interview on RTE player. Anything Farage had to say was utterly predictable. There's HGV shortages in the US, Poland and Germany. There's loads of EU workers being let into the UK. A bit of speil about how Ireland are not ruled by the Irish government, a bit of pretending that the changes to our corporation tax was because of EU membership. Throw in a few lines about inflation

Mostly the same soundbites Farage has been spouting for decades, getting them in whether or not they have anything to do with the question asked.

Having him on is really kinda pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's hard to embarrass such a shameless person as Farage but she came close last night.

He wears his brand of confidence and self promotion almost like a suit of armour.

I think most people in Ireland have seen through him by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Butson

Sneering, childish from Byrne. I've never seen her like that with any of our absolute chancers, which is 90% of public life in Ireland.

That show is pure tabloid drivel.

You haven't seen her hold any of our politicians to account?

You either don't watch the show or you're a liar. Nobody gets an easy time on her show.

Of course it's easy for people to say whatever they want on a message board without having to provide any substance whatsoever just to have a go at others, namely politicians and journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I would have preferred if they had an interview in the middle with the guy in the dolphin outfit who beat Farage in an election. Might give people a better view of how popular the guy is

• Advertisement

It's not about him though, most people know what Farage is. But Claire Byrne's journalism was very poor, it's tabloid stuff, telling him he hasn't got a clue instead of questioning him to establish that.

On a broader scale it is worrying that this passes for decent journalism these days, it's a Fox news tactic to dismiss people rather than to allow their answers to expose the poverty of their arguments.

Advertisement