Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five years of marriage equality. How has our society survived.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

NI same-sex couples hail 'wonderful day' as they marry in Belfast

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/1207/1182853-ulster-same-sex-marriage/
    RTE wrote:
    Northern Ireland's first same-sex couple to transform their civil partnership into a marriage have said it is a wonderful day. Cara McCann and Amanda McGurk celebrated on the steps of Belfast City Hall. Couples in more than 1,300 same-sex civil partnerships can tie the knot in Northern Ireland from today. Ms McCann said: "We fought long and hard for the right to marry." She added: "We want to thank everyone who was part of this great movement for love and equality, and which has delivered this wonderful, positive change for our society."

It followed a lengthy campaign and legislative change at Westminster while Stormont powersharing was suspended. Stormont Finance Minister Conor Murphy said 32 couples planned to convert their civil partnerships this week.

Gay conversion therapy: Hundreds of religious leaders call for ban

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55326461
    BBC wrote:
    More than 370 religious leaders from around the world are calling for a ban on conversion therapy - the attempt to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity.

The signatories to the declaration represent all the world's major faiths and many are known LGBT advocates.

They include South African cleric Archbishop Desmond Tutu and former Chief Rabbi of Ireland David Rosen [...]

In some unexpected news, a court in Poland acquits three Polish women were were prosecuted for offending religious feelings by displaying posters depicting Holy Mary with a rainbow halo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56250453

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

If the halo don't fit, you must acquit.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

In other news, Arlene Foster could be geting the boot for not being homophobic enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56902771

She abstained on a motion to ban "pray away the gay" in NI while most of the rest of the DUP voted against.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/arlene-foster-facing-leadership-challenge-as-discontent-mounts-in-dup-1.4549173

• Advertisement

And if she does get booted, she may have to avoid fleeing to Switzerland:

Swiss to vote on same-sex marriage

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/swiss-to-vote-on-same-sex-marriage/ar-BB1g72IQ1
    MSN wrote:
    Switzerland will hold a referendum on legalising same-sex marriage, the government confirmed Tuesday.

Switzerland is one of the few remaining countries in Europe where same-sex marriage is not legal. The Swiss parliament approved a bill in December allowing same-sex couples to marry. However, under Switzerland's direct democracy system, new laws can be challenged and put to a referendum if more than 50,000 valid signatures are collected within 100 days. Opponents in the wealthy nation of 8.6 million people gathered more than 60,000 valid signatures, the government said in a statement.

The Swiss normally vote three to four times a year on a wide range of topics at the national, regional and local levels -- either laws challenged by petition or proposals that have gathered enough signatures. A date for the vote, described as the "referendum against 'marriage for all'," has not yet been set. The law's opponents, including members of the Swiss People's Party (SVP) -- the country's biggest -- and the marginal, similarly right-wing populist Federal Democratic Union, had said they would try to trigger a referendum.

The SVP said it was "intolerable to want to place marriage on an equal footing with any form of cohabitation". Same-sex couples can register a civil partnership in Switzerland. However, this status does not provide the same rights as marriage, including for obtaining citizenship and the joint adoption of children. The two chambers of parliament approved the bill in December after multiple rounds of debate spanning back to 2013.

The wording of the bill allows gays and lesbians to marry and for lesbians to access sperm donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

In other news, Arlene Foster could be geting the boot for not being homophobic enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56902771

She abstained on a motion to ban "pray away the gay" in NI while most of the rest of the DUP voted against.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/arlene-foster-facing-leadership-challenge-as-discontent-mounts-in-dup-1.4549173

not to mention

https://www.irishnews.com/news/localelection2019/2019/04/19/news/dup-woman-is-party-s-first-openly-gay-politician-1601209/

With the approval of the local parish priest, Ballyfermot parish council flies the Pride flag outside the local church. News of this reaches Dublin Diocese which tells them to take it back down again. Many locals are not impressed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ballyfermot-church-pride-flag-response-solidarity-5472685-Jun2021/
    TheJournal wrote:
    BALLYFERMOT LOCALS ARE holding a solidarity vigil this week after a church received backlash online for flying an LGBT+ Pride flag on its grounds. The Ballyfermot Assumption Parish flew an Irish flag and a Pride flag outside its entrance last week as an effort to show that “all are welcome” in its church. After sharing photos of the flags on social media, large numbers posted thanks or appreciation, but others sent critical or abusive messages to the church because they believed the Pride flag was “anti-Catholic”. The church was asked by the Dublin diocese to take down the flag and was advised of a stance against flying flags on church grounds except for national flags on appropriate occasions.

Local community groups have planned a vigil on Friday to show solidarity with the church after the criticism it faced last week. People Before Profit Councillor for Ballyfermot-Drimnagh Hazel de Nortúin said the hateful responses to the Pride flag were “not a true reflection of the people of Ballyfermot”. “It wasn’t supported by local people, it was more of a case of people reacting outside the community and coming in,” de Nortúin told The Journal.

The Ballyfermot Anti-Racism Network, alongside youth services and the local GAA team, are planning to “come together to show solidarity, to show we will not be tolerating that sort of behaviour in the area” and celebrate “our pride and supporting those in the area who would have been affected by this”. “It’s not reflective of where we’re all at,” de Nortúin said. “I could see from the commentary online, there were a lot of young people that were very proud of their sexuality but were hurt by the nasty comments on social media,” she said.

Parish priest Father Adrian Egan told his parishioners at Sunday mass that flying the flag was part of the church’s efforts to make everyone in the community feel welcome and included. At a meeting last Monday, the parish’s pastoral council decided to fly an Irish flag and a Pride flag outside the church, he said in his homily. The pastoral council discussed that June is both the month of the Sacred Heart in the liturgical calendar and the “symbolism of the heart of Jesus that is inclusive of everyone”, and that “June has become a significant month for gay people. We are conscious that there are gay men and women who live in our parish and their families and they’ve often told us how hurt they’ve been maybe by the language the church has sometimes used in regard to them and how maybe they sometimes feel there’s no place for them here and they feel excluded,” Father Egan said in his homily.

The parish church aims to “work very hard to send out the message that this is a place of welcome for all” and to reach out to people who may not feel included. “We decided, we’ve two flag poles out there, we’ll put up two flags – the Irish flag and the Pride flag.” The church hung the Pride flag on Tuesday morning and removed it later in the week after receiving communication from the Dublin diocese.[...]

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

robindch wrote: »
    With the approval of the local parish priest, Ballyfermot parish council flies the Pride flag outside the local church. News of this reaches Dublin Diocese which tells them to take it back down again. Many locals are not impressed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ballyfermot-church-pride-flag-response-solidarity-5472685-Jun2021/
    There is a vigil type thing this Friday at 630 in support of the priest.

Btw you are wrong about locals not being impressed. The vast majority seem to be extremely supportive of it, the 20 or so who protested at it were not from the area.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Btw you are wrong about locals not being impressed.
    I was referring to people from Ballyfermot not being impressed with interference from Dublin Diocese - as you say, locals are very supportive of the local priest.
    the 20 or so who protested at it were not from the area.
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

Damien Duff and Richie Sadlier comment, eloquently and clearly, on UEFA's decision not to allow the rainbow flag at Munich.

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1407818568356466696

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

robindch wrote: »
    I was referring to people from Ballyfermot not being impressed with interference from Dublin Diocese - as you say, locals are very supportive of the local priest.Doesn't surprise me at all.
    Apologies I took you up the opposite way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Apologies I took you up the opposite way

As the bishop said to the actress.... :pac:

Voting on social issues today is not confined to southern Europe, as our friends and colleagues in Switzerland have taken to the country's polling booths to deliver an opinion on marriage equality. Projections indicate that the referendum will pass with a large majority in the region of two-thirds for, and one-third against.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/26/swiss-vote-overwhelmingly-for-same-sex-marriage-according-to-poll

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My family's global leftist blah blah conspiracy continues.

During Mar Ref here my late cousin and I used to chuckle that her daughter and my son were very visible advocates for a Yes vote. Appearing frequently on various media platforms, speaking engagements etc - but few people knew they were related.

Over in Switzerland my niece from Basel and my niece from Geneva were vocal advocates frequently etc etc. They are sisters. Who look nothing alike. The one clue is when speaking English they both have Cork accents. Geneva niece proudly sported a special 'Cork Yes' enamel badge I had worn campaigning.

At least we know who to blame when switzerland descends into degeneracy not long after us. 😀

Degeneracy, numbered bank accounts, and Toblerones, what's not to like?

Snarlene since fetched up as a presenter on the little-watched GB "News" channel. If you've never heard of it you'll probably wish to keep it that way...

• Advertisement

James O'Brien delivers a fine bollocking to a religious preacher who says that, while he won't be trying to cure LGBT+ people, he will be praying for them:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1454062865892139015

First anti-abortion propaganda, now this:

There's renewed calls for a revamp of curriculum on race, gender, and sexuality.

The calls come after some SPHE curriculum on relationships was found to be homophobic.

The exercise included comments such as "all gay men molest children" or "lesbian women are butch". 

Issues were raised with the content on sphe.ie in June, though it was only taken down in August.

The site is operated by the Professional Development Service for Teachers, which is itself funded by the Department of Education. 

Local TD Jennifer Carroll MacNeill described the booklets as offensive, citing that anybody in the LGBTI+ communities would be made to feel uncomfortable upon reading it.

Something is very, very rotten at the heart of our education system. Will there be any accountability for this - will there f**k as Ben Dunne said...

If there's stuff on the curriculum saying those things I'm very surprised it never came to attention before.

Unless it's in the context of Statements Which are Incorrect. Which seems more likely than half a million kids being told those things and it just being noticed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That's what I'd be thinking, examples of false, homophobic stereotypes. But I'm sure the real story will emerge presently...

I know it says "curriculum" in the article but the abortion film was presented not as curriculum but as "training material" for teachers. I'll try to find a better source for this story.

Phrases used in booklets, available from the Department of Education, have been branded "horrific" by a TD who asked for them to be removed.

It comes after an official booklet, which asked students to discuss statements such as "All gay men are HIV positive", was removed from the syllabus this year.

"People are gay because of the way they were brought up" and "All gays molest children" are among the statements for discussion in the SPHE classroom resource booklet, which was available for use in Irish classrooms until June.

Students were asked to read through the statements and if they agreed, disagreed or were not sure.

Social Personal and Health Education was introduced as part of the revised primary school curriculum in 1999.

In a statement, the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment says the resources were removed as they do not reflect the inclusive standards the education sector upholds.

Seems very odd. You wouldn't have "It's OK to gas Jews - Discuss" in history class, would you?

Meanwhile in other news, married lesbian refused hysterectomy due to objections of imaginary man:

“I don’t want you to have regrets if circumstances change for you,” the doctor told her, in what is apparently a word for word quote. “Maybe you leave your partner, your sexual orientation changes, and you meet someone and he wants children.”

It is worth noting that these comments were made, not only to Champ, but also in front of her wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Think that's gone, obviously wasn't paying much.

She now has a United Ireland gig, literally, as was predicted by satire months and years ago she now works for 'co-operation Ireland' after a career built on definitely not cooperating with Ireland.

Aren't their congregations shrinking fast enough already without pulling this kind of stunt?

Threats by the Presbyterian Church to remove a Dublin minister and her church council over the appointment of a gay man to the council have been sharply condemned by senior clergy and academics.

The action followed a decision by Rev Katherine Meyer and the church council at Sandymount in Dublin 4 to accept Steven Smyrl, a gay man in a same-sex marriage with another church member there, onto its council.

A commission, set up by the church’s Dublin and Munster Presbytery, found the leadership at Sandymount had justified “approval for that which in scripture God condemns” and demonstrated “their persistent deviation from the confessional standards of the Presbyterian Church”.

Rev Meyer and church council had “caused scandal injurious to the purity and peace of the church”, it said, and gave her and the church council until Monday to back down and remove Mr Smyrl, or face disciplinary proceedings.

• Advertisement

Clearly they are going for the quality over quantity approach with their own special definition of quality.

Advertisement