Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Two years ago today hell in a cell 2019 happened and we had amongst other things a surprisingly good HIAC match between Becky lynch and Sasha banks(I say surprisingly because a few of us were fearing the worst), and then we had THAT cell match at the end of the night between seth Rollins and the fiend which Seth talked about on the latest broken skull sessions with Austin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah that Sasha-Becky match was decent. Say what you will about Sasha outside of the ring, but she can do the business inside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Has Brock ever done a shoot interview? Would be interesting to hear about all his thoughts on opponents, matches, wrestling politics etc.

Fascinating character being this larger than life monster on-screen and a seemingly reserved very private farmer off-screen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

New gimmick for Miz

It's great to see real wrestling independent contractors in the world outside WWE version of independent contractor.

• Advertisement

The main event of tonight’s NXT UK between Ilja Dragunov and A-kid was something special. Just such good pro wresting.

I can't stand that "hockey fight" spot that Owens and Sami Zayn popularised (I think it was them that popularised it anyway). It looks so shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

If WWE knew what they were doing creatively, they had an easy slam dunk with Finn Balor with his Prince gimmick, and the King Of The Ring tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

There may be writers in that company who are pitching great stuff all the time but it never sees the light of day because of the whole corporate machine that WWE has become ever since they became a publicly-traded company. Yes, a big component of that machine is Vince McMahon himself since he puts himself at the top of that creative process but there's also that silly corporate stuff which gums up the works. You can't be too controversial because it creates PR issues. You can't suddenly change the look of a wrestler because they have a toy line out. Going by data analytics instead of just your gut like the old days. Plus the usual underlings trying to keep on Vince's good side.

But this isn't just in WWE where creativity goes to die. It seems like it happens in so many big entertainment companies. There was a US screenwriter who said that if a network makes a hit show, it's because the executives weren't paying attention or because the network was broke and couldn't afford to replace it after its first season. If you think about it, that's similar to the history of WWE. Stone Cold Steve Austin came about because WWE was on its a$$ and couldn't bring afford any of the old stars, who'd gone to WCW, and so Vince was left with no choice but to let Austin run with it, and it became the biggest thing WWE ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Tony Khan I think for the most part has been a pretty docile calm presence since the inception of AEW. But recently he’s been mouthing off a bit in interviews, Twitter and seems to be making it “about him” to an extent. I think he should just really let the product speak for themselves and I don’t think he did himself any favours bout the tweet re Smackdown and rampage head to head

• Advertisement

Agree. He doesn't have the personality to get into a bombastic promoter war. Guy is a dork who likes wrestling and that's fine but understand that it doesn't lend itself to being a cool larger than life personality. Leave it to the wrestlers.

Roman has a cool factor (very recent cool factor, mind you) so his comments last week were fun and hold weight. Tony Khan's ranting about beating Smackdown (and failing) while on a show called "My Mother's Basement" was cringe.

If you wanna sling mud, get the stars who can talk to do it. Punk firing back at Roman would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Junior dos Santos replied to Reigns and funnily enough there hasn't been a peep out of the Big Dawg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

He's a money mark and it's clear that he wants to be liked by the talent. A bit like Ned Flanders crossed with Herb Abrams.

wanting to be friends with the talent isn’t a good idea. He’s their boss not their friend. Ned flanders and herb abrams ? Haha Jesus there’s a mental image. I think he should stick to what has worked previously and I think the smackdown ratings comment was a bad call. He’s done a good job so far but he needs to not let the success go to his head(easier said then done I know) and let WWE make the stupid comments and do the stupid actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Tony Khan isnt a money mark.

IMO, no one had the business sense, the financial muscle and wrestling knowhow to create a challenger to Vince until Khan.

No wonder WWE didn't leak the demo numbers like they did the total viewers, considering how loaded they went with their card compared to a fairly standard Rampage card they probably should have easily beaten AEW in the demo. Maybe Khan's comments weren't that ill-judged!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Also on Itssoeasys point on Tony wanting to be friends with the talent, granted yeah he's also the boss at the end of the day. I mean it seems to be working, there's been no bad mouthing, and the fact that NO ONE on the outside knew the seriousness of Brodie Lee's illness until the news broke of his passing late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wasn't Punk wrestling on the televised Rampage and a former UFC heavyweight champion along with Jericho probably one of the wrestlers who has some mainstream wrestling attention? That's a bit more than a standard Rampage tbf.

It was Punks third appearance on the show and against Matt Sydal so apart from ATT I'd say it was a fairly standard Rampage.

Whatever way you look at it it was WWE's A show against AEW's B show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Great stuff re: AEW. I don't really care about the whole war etc and don't have a side I'd pick tbh (admittedly I'd still watch more WWE cos my kid loves it, he hasn't gotten mad into AEW yet mainly cos he doesn't know a lot of the wrestlers) but it's great for fans of pro wrestling either way. Overall we're the real winners!

• Advertisement

Its hopefully the kick up the whole WWE needed.

WWE hasnt changed yet though, their shows still could be produced and booked a 100 percent better. Until then, I wont be back anytime soon.

Saudi show does nothing for me

I don’t know maybe I’m in the minority but why doesn’t total viewing numbers not matter as much any more ? You read the observer from years ago and it was total viewers and audience share and yes I know TV habits have changed but I don’t understand why demos have become so important nowadays(or more important than they used to be), when surely the networks worry about total viewers as well.

Advertisiers want the key demos. Its all they care about. Its what makes these companies money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

WWE lost the 30 minute overlap. With the built in lead in advantage. With no commercials. I'm scarlet for them. Punk vs Sydal and Soho vs The Bunny (!!) did Sasha/Becky and Reigns/Lesnar dirty. You could not make up something that funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Slightly off topic but The Key demo is 18-34 I think? I always find this interesting because I always assumed that people aged 45-65 would have more income but this doesn't appear to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

18-49 is the key demo. 18-34 is always an important number too. Males in particular as that's the primary audience your likely going to be advertising towards during a pro wrestling show.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope WWE keep Edge's family out of his next Storyline

Can see Edge vs AJ Styles (would of been a dream match in the mid/late 2000s) been a great fued but it feels another one of those that Edges family is thrown into it

18 to 34 have less bills. Usually no mortgage, still living at home, more disposable income. More prone to impluse buy and spend frivolously.

I wish that was 18-34 me. I was fúcking broke for most of my 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With all the WWE talk about targeting a new audience and they aim for everyone it really is the over 50's that is keeping the viewerships some what high on TV.

Advertisement